JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Destiny 2

Discuss all things Destiny 2.
Edited by Saoirse: 12/27/2020 3:50:41 AM

I Don't Understand Why Sunsetting Story Content Is A Thing

Maybe someone can explain more into Bungies reasoning on this, but as someone who is a returning player since launch its kind of perplexing why things like the Red War, Curse of Osiris, and Warmind all were just taken out of the game. It feels weird having characters refer to past events in current expansions like I am suppose to know what happened. I am basically forced to either google what happened or piece things together with the lore section in triumphs. Overall it feels weird as a returning player and silly that content is being cut that could provide more game time and player experience. As someone who never got the chance to player Curse of Osiris or Warmind, it would be nice to be able too. Edit: One thing that I’d really like to point out as an example of not understanding pieces of the plot because of missing content is Ana. Ana is mentioned all the time by Zavala (“Ana says you are making significant contributions”) and is a big part of the Strangers story in the Beyond Light campaign and without Warmind (Because I had to google who she was) players don’t have any idea who she is. She is just brought up like new or returning players should know her.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• Microsoft and Sony don’t allow games over a certain size. If Bungie didn’t remove the old story then we wouldn’t be able to get beyond light. In addition, beyond light is essentially “Destiny 3” if they had instead made a separate game, then you would not have the red war available in it either. Yes, it is sad that you can no longer experience it, but I view it as a necessity. Unless of course we would like bungie to delete all our items again like they did with our poor gjallarhorn.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

3 Replies
    • Feels very nice that the only expansions i owned were removed from the game

Posting in language:

• 1 Reason was because the Red War Ended. And from story wise, there was no longer any Reason for Red War Content to be there. It contradicts thier "Evolving World" 2. Technical: Red War Content, Including CoO and WM, both were taking of Space, and from Numbers, it was Played the Least. It was lower than Trials. So it was taking up Room and causing Technically Problems.

Posting in language:

26 Replies
      • Well bungie never made a third game or they ran out of money to make a third game, so instead of creating a sequel with a new game engine and improved gameplay and graphics, they decided the best plan was to keep destiny 2 up and running for the next 4 years(if it doesn't crash completely before then). Content was removed to be recycled at a later undetermined time, as far as story stuff goes bungie went with seasons and a season pass , which is worse content-wise, unless you are a streamer and all you care about is raids and 'endgame' activities. Thank Bungie, and their lack of a budget for a third game.

Posting in language:

2 Replies
        • 1. Those planets needed to go to save space. 2. Cut scenes and lore are readily accessible online. 3. They changed the story for New Lights. Obviously it bites seeing these missions disappear, but it does make sense. [spoiler]Sorry, all out of salt.[/spoiler]

Posting in language:

5 Replies
          • Bungie say it had no more room for content in the game and so had to pick 1 of 2 options do d3 or remove content now ther r games thet r biger then d2 and do not remove or volt content the destiny community told thet to bungie but but at the end of the day the problem is what bungie was for d2 is different form what the destiny community want for d2 Luke smit has ben makeing all thes unwanted change to the game and wants not to make d3

Posting in language:

• To make you purchase the current one. It’s that simple.

Posting in language:

• Ill never understand how they decide on what to sunset. Like they will sunset mindbenders ambition, not forgotten, recluse, kindled orchid, duke mk 44, bygones, wardens law, spare rations, breakneck, ect. But keep the shiiiiitttttyyyyy weapons like, wishbringer, last perditon, jian 7 rifle, nature of the beast, ikelos HC, mida mini tool, escape velocity, cold front, ect. Take away the best and replace it with trash.

Posting in language:

• It was a solution to the the following problems they brought upon themselves. File Space QA Test Workload Not Enough Players in End-Game The devs have spaghetti coded the entire game and it is in bad need of optimization. This caused the file space. They could have optimized the game further to keep content but that wouldn’t cut down their workload. The workload was intensive on QA because they need to test numerous things in older content. So, why is it a problem now. It’s because the game has been sending numerous employees over to other teams to make 2-3 other games. So, they opted for a solution to lighten this load. Not enough players were wanting to do the content and end-game they wanted. So, they needed something to sort coerce players into the content they want. Hence they used a similar method they used for weapons. Why don’t they take out/ sunset content. Some players weren’t doing the raids / other end-game content they wanted so they needed something to push them in “right” direction. This started back in Y1 D2. Here’s the big issue with their processes. They placed a lot more work on creating and developing the DCV. This take a lot more resources than optimization, ask any other MMO in the past few decades. This was very intended solution to three issues they created willingly. Low Player Count on this content was designed to not be played frequently. This made extremely evident when you notice the new player experience for the release of New Light. Not to mention before this, story was actually locked away after you beat it once. Now, it’s understandable that players don’t like to grind story missions but players that were replaying story content weren’t doing it for the grind. That’s a problem to leaders like Luke Smith because they want the end-game to be the main content. That’s why when you start a new character, you’re thrown into the end-game grind. That’s by design but why. I figure they had a steady drop off of player activity when it came to content like Nightfalls. So, it’d take longer to find others to do content. Their players weren’t doing end-game. So, they have sunset weapons in the past, to force player to use new weapons. Now, they’re doing the same to content. That’s why. They don’t want players to do old content because it cuts into what they think you should be doing. Grinding new loot from new content. They are basically doing everything they can to force players into end-game just shy of throwing raids into new player experience and removing content like Shadowkeep and Forsaken.

Posting in language:

• 1. Because most people don’t want to play through that old content as a new player or returning player. It acts as a barrier that discourages them from picking up the game (again). 2. This game wasn’t designed to last for six years (we were supposed to be on the second year of Destiny 3 by now), and last-gen machines can’t handle the demand that the game would have placed on them (see Cyberpunk 2077). I play mainly on PS4 pro. I had to go by an outboard SSD for it last spring to save my sanity after it took 7 minutes one night to load into the Tower. I was taking almost 3 minutes load into planets. Frame rate drops, rubber banding and stuttering were just part of playing Gambit they were so frequent. But you didn’t see these ridiculous loading times and poor performance on pc. But with the vaulting of those locations, the console version of the game runs 10 times better, and loading times are very quick.

Posting in language:

2 Replies
            • Some of it is retcon but mostly the two dlcs were just filler junk. Red War showed what a Lightbearer with no restraints (Ghost) could become. We now use Darkness with no restraints (shard) and can’t do anything like that. Curse- was an absolute craptastic piece of dlc. The Dark Future was some vague bogeyman that wasn’t explained in the slightest, making it rather pointless from a story perspective. It conflicts with BLs use of the phrase Dark Future. Warmind was more interesting from a lore perspective, with Xol and Nokris’ necromancy. Aside from that, useless in any story progression. They were really just stand alone [i]missions[/i], not some grand storyline. They should of been replaced with a narrative cutscene so new players know what’s being referenced. This is an absolute dumb way to tell a story. Just reference stuff with no backstory to know what’s being talked about. I would avoid the game if you’ve been gone. Not worth paying for or investing the time. The story can be watched for free online.

Posting in language:

• I'm gonna get hate for this but I'm in full support of sunsetting story based content/locations. The game is pushing its file size. I don't want a game that I play rather casaully taking up 200 GBs.

Posting in language:

• Because you cant remove whole areas without removing everything associated with it.

Posting in language:

4 Replies
              • My favorite example is how Hawthorne will do her "You never stop, do you?" quote to New Light players despite the fact that they can't do the Red War storyline

Posting in language:

You are not allowed to view this content.
              ;
              preload icon
              preload icon
              preload icon