This Week At Bungie – 09/14/2017
QuickplayMatchmaking times are shorter, with less emphasis on skill. Fireteams with players of varying skill will have a better time. This is the fastest route to a game, but you may face opponents outside of your comfort zone.CompetitiveMatchmaking takes more time to introduce you to players that are closer to you in skill with a good connection. These matchmaking settings may take longer, but we feel that the quality of the gameplay experience will be worth the wait.
The first Fireteam has made their way through Leviathan. Shaxx isn’t far behind. Emperor’s Respite is now available for all in the Crucible. pic.twitter.com/Cu7aV0EZb5— Bungie (@Bungie) September 13, 2017
How to write the ideal Clan profile.So you’ve already picked the perfect Clan name and Clan tag. But what about the rest of your Clan identity? Seekers in Guided Games select a Clan to go with based on what you’ve shared about yourself, so your Clan profile should be designed to attract the ideal players you want to recruit for the activity.Let’s start with Clan Motto. It’s your tagline and your rallying cry. Make it something memorable and leave potential recruits wanting to learn more. Some good examples from the wilds:
“Lone wolves banding together for the greater good”“Pride in battle”“All about that glimmer”“Wow! That went WAY better than expected….”“There is still so much left to burn….”
While the Motto is a chance to express what players should expect from you, the Mission Statement is where you spell out what you expect from them. It should answer some critical questions. What behavior is acceptable within the Clan? What expectations do you have for communication and participation? What activities do you focus on and what are the best times to play with your Clan? Here is a sample:
“We’re a group of laid-back gamers, here to have fun and make some friends while shooting baddies in the face. Message our leaders for an invite and let’s go get that sweet loot!”“We’re usually online in the evening West Coast time and like to hang out in chat while playing.”“We do all the weekly activities: Nightfall, Raid and Trials so Tuesday and Friday nights are busy!”“Play to win, but have fun.”“Be excellent to each other.”
With a detailed mission statement, you’ll appeal to the kind of people you hope to meet. Communicate the important stuff and have fun with it.
How did it happen?The design in question was initially created as part of gear foundry explorations in June of 2015. Graphic designers routinely reference real world art, iconography, typeface, and other design elements to inform the choices they make. In this case, some of the reference imagery featured the simple mirrored chevron shapes found in the finished piece. Some graphic design that belongs to sports teams provided some inspiration as well, along with some primitive shapes and chevrons that were used to permeate our Guardian class iconography.How did we miss this content in development?Although the design wasn’t emulative of the meme in question, the armor piece was eventually flagged by another team responsible for reviewing content for cultural, geographical, and other sensitive issues. Unfortunately, that review was conducted to explore whether or not we were comfortable with the connection to the original, innocuous “kek” internet meme. The more contemporary, vile derivation that has been repurposed by hate groups was not surfaced through this process, and therefore, the armor was approved for ship.What steps are we taking to ensure that this won’t happen again?We are digging in to determine how we can more deeply vet our game content to shield us, and our community, from inappropriate imagery. Though we are still investigating our creative process in full, we know there was no degree of malicious intent from anyone on our team. That said, we do recognize that the design in question is close enough to warrant removal from the game.We want everyone to know their identity is welcome in our studio and in the worlds we create. This isn’t merely a platitude, but an official pillar we hold ourselves, and our work to. It is also a clarion call for the type of people we want to bring into our studio to help us make better games.We aren’t asking you for the benefit of the doubt. We know we are judged by our actions. We want to thank the members of our community, and the press, for bringing this matter to our attention. We will always strive to make all players feel welcome in our worlds, to promote positive experiences, and to portray a bright and hopeful world in Destiny 2, and in every game world we create.
Destiny Update 220.127.116.11.We are planning to release Destiny Update 18.104.22.168 within the next week. This will address some known issues, including the removal of harmful imagery from some armor within Destiny 2.
- Stay tuned to @BungieHelp for announcements of the expected availability for the Hotfix.
- Follow the Destiny Installation Guide for vital information concerning the installation of Updates and Hotfixes to your console.
- Patchnotes will be published to the Updates section of Bungie.net alongside the update.Error code: CabbageFor a localized help article, please see: https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/46243Error code CABBAGE may occur when router settings block communications to or from Destiny services. We are investigating the impact on various devices. To attempt to resolve this error when using a Technicolor/Thomson router, please proceed through the following steps.PLEASE NOTE: Players may need to inspect the manual for their router to proceed through these steps, as some settings pages may have alternate naming conventions per manufacturer.1. Connect your console directly to the router via wired or wi-fi connection.
- Note: attempting to connect to Destiny through a router connected to an alternate router may lead to increased issues. Please attempt to connect to the router connected to your modem for best results.2. From the router settings page, proceed from Home > Toolbox > Firewall.
- Create a new Firewall level within your Router settings.3. From the Router settings page, proceed from Home > Toolbox > Game & Application Sharing and configure the following settings:[/b]
- Enable UPnP.
- Disable "Extended Security".
- Disable any "Assigned Games & Applications" settings.PlayStation 4 Crash InvestigationWe’re continuing to investigate error code CE-34878-0 with our partners at PlayStation.
We're aware that some Destiny 2 users have seen crash issues on PS4 Pro. We and Bungie are working to resolve, thanks for your patience.— Ask PlayStation (@AskPlayStation) September 11, 2017At this time, we do not have any additional information. We are troubleshooting the issue internally, and attempting to identify specific causes for the issue. Until resolved, we advise disabling PlayStation 4 HDCP settings which may reduce or circumvent this error from impacting your console.For a full list of issues that we are investigating, please see the #Help forum on Bungie.net. We will provide additional information via @BungieHelp when available.
Cozmo: Welcome to another edition of Movie of the Week. With Trials about to go live, we’re getting into the spirit of competition. Here are some highlights and hilarious clips of Guardians from the Crucible.Movie of the Week: ClutchHonorable Mention: 3 Birds 1 Fusion RifleHonorable Mention: Dance FailWinners and Honorable Mentions will receive their Emblem as soon we add it to the game in a future update. If you would like a shot at seeing your video here, submit it to the Creations page.