JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Destiny

Discuss all things Destiny.
3/28/2015 1:10:50 PM

Things Destiny Promised

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: Everything in this thread is taken from a copy of Jan 2014 Game Informer, in which the writer spent two days at Bungie Studio. Whatever is taken from the magazine will be in quotes and my own responses will be marked. "Ask three different fans, and you'll get three different answers about what the game is - a shooter, an MMO, an RPG. In truth, Destiny is one of the most audacious and risky project ever attempted in gaming." >Really? Audacious and risky how? All you did was bring the grind of MMOs to consoles. "These first five destinations are samplings of what's to come; Destiny's fiction clearly establishes all the planets, moons, asteroids, and other features of our solar system as fair game for exploration" >LOL nope. "While players will explore many areas of Earth in the long-term Destiny storyline, the first major location is Old Russia." >More like the ONLY Earth location. Inb4 maybe they'll add more later, they could at least hint to other locations but no. "The [Mars] city now lies buried beneath a mountain of sand, and only the once soaring skyscraper peaks are visible. Guardians can climb into those upper windows and delve down towards what was once ground level." >Honestly, sounds pretty cool, but sadly it's never done. >Special note: One of the images shows a titan with VOG helm and possible CE vendor gear. Meaning they were either ontainable earlier or it was just for the preview to GI. >Voidwalker and Sunslinger were originally called "Circle of Night" and "Heart of Fusion" so that's pretty neat. Nothing mentioned of Titan or Hunter subclass names. "Gladiators leads through their own ferocious size an strength, often weilding devastating gatling guns." >I wonder why they changed the Roman themed name to Colossus, and more fantasy name. Probably based on the Colossus of Rhodes. "Hydras are segmented machines that float through the air to attack; each segment bears it's own turret, and these robotic centipedes fire those turrets as they wriggle through the air." >That sounds awesome. It's a shame they're just floaty... Whatevers now. >Acolytes were originally named Troopers. That would've been so lame. "There is a defined storyline with a beginning middle and end," "You can have what feels like a very directed, cinematic experience." >Yeah, a Citizen Kane experience. "Each destination is a wide open world of it's own to explore, filled with secrets, story, and missions." >Not really, nope, HAHA, and sure. >Pateince and Time was originally called Closing Time and it was supposed to have the perk to shoot ammo pick ups with the cloaking. >Apparently there was an exotic helm that would have significantly reduced headshot damage. "Destiny features a cinematic story with a clear conclusion." >I think majority of people would have to disagree with Bungie there. >>END NOTE: Well, lets see how much of these things will show up later as $20 DLC.
English
#Destiny

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• Autographed picture of Deej. Still waiting.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

1 Reply
    • I remember when Bungie fooled me into thinking Destiny feature vast, expansive planets to explore. Instead I got mediocre sandboxes with incredible draw distance but invisible walls preventing you from going even a few steps outside the designated area.

Posting in language:

3 Replies
      • I actually remember the part about the helmet reducing the headshot damage. That was a loooong time ago. I wanna say it was the helm of saint prototype.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
        • The article was 8 months out. It's well known that a lot of stuff had to change for various reasons. If you're disappointed in the game that's completely fair. Constantly rehashing this stuff is unproductive at best and much more like generalized whining. This is the game we had during the beta, either you still find things you annoy and you play or you don't.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
          • Edited by H4ppyN00dl3B0y: 3/29/2015 12:59:54 PM
            I'm pretty sure they bit off more than they could chew. As they got closer and closer to the projected release date, they were forced to dial back the scale of their original ideal game and had to make sacrifices. A lot of sacrifices. I'm fairly certain the publisher (Activision) would have forced their hand as well. When a company invests as much money as they did into a brand new Intellectual Property, and spends as much as they did on marketing, when they say said jump, Bungie said "How high and how often master?" These sacrifices included the Lead writer and composer, who'd both been with Bungie for years and multiple games. Nobody talking yet, but there's got to be more than simply 'private reasons' behind such huge occurences. The fact is Bungie made a pact with the devil and sold their souls. They got plenty of money, but lost major control of the production schedule and end product. I wonder if the remaining Bungie employees are actually proud of the released product and shoddy, small in scale over-priced DLC packages (that appear to be predominantly on disc locked content)? I have still enjoyed my time with the game (1000+ hours and counting) but am looking forward to learning the truth of what happened during development. Someone will speak out eventually, and when they do even more respect and esteem will be lost from what was considered a king amongst developers. Life goes on. I'll continue to play but will evermore be far more wary and cautious of products with Bungie's name on it.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
            • The lies of Bungie about Destiny include: - Its a big world that will constantly and always change - Each weapon you get has its own story - You'll go from Mars to Mercury in an instant - You're character will be unique LOL Bungie watch them give excuses like bu bu bu but the vault space is small because of last gen consoles! did they even SEE FF14 on PS3? that game has 1000X the amount of content destiny has.

Posting in language:

• the world of Destiny is pretty big. what we do in that world is pretty small

Posting in language:

• Sounds like a fun game, wish I bought that one.

Posting in language:

2 Replies
              • *Sigh* The worst thing is they don't even care about their customer's happiness, as this doesn't equal maximum profit

Posting in language:

1 Reply
                • *Sigh* The worst thing is they don't even care about their customer's happiness, as this doesn't equal maximum profit

Posting in language:

• This is the game I was excited for. Too bad that's not what the end product became.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
                  • "Bungie describes the visual and story tone of Destiny as science fantasy, a term often used to describe Star Wars" >Visually, sure. That's a fair statement. Story? Nope.

Posting in language:

You are not allowed to view this content.
                  ;
                  preload icon
                  preload icon
                  preload icon