JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

#Halo

11/14/2004 2:21:44 AM

HALO 2'S "UNFORTUNATE" SPANISH DUB

Dear Bungie and Microsoft, First of all I'd like to express my dearest appreciation towards Halo "1" for Xbox clearly. It is probably the game I have replayed most, and it has been an exciting experience each and every time. But one of the things I have always appreciated the most is the whole atmosphere thrown into it, through the use of a complex story-line, superb music and, over all, supreme Spanish dialogs with excellent actors. It is with the utmost disappointment that I find out that not only has Bungie decided not to hire the same great actors that gave a natural context for Spanish (or Spaniard, if you wish) users. Besides that, for whatever other reasons that, I do not doubt, might have seem plausible to you, you opted to give Spain a localization using American Spanish voices with its pletora of idioms for our old friends Master Chief, Cortana and the rest of the crew, using a text that steps over all the terms of its own that Halo 1 introduced to the Spanish audience with its translation. I am very sorry but, to put it straight and simple, that is cheesy. Not only does it ruin the continuity of the two games by wasting some talents that had already been proved more than satisfactory, and by changing the terms that Halo 1 used to describe its universe. Just imagine what your English audience would think if The Covenant would suddenly become Die Vereinigung, and Master Chief's military grade was turned into Ryoshu without any further explanation at all. Still, if it was only matter of "continuity" it could be bearable. But besides that, it is extremely cheesy, unfortunate and of little attention to your base of loyal Spanish users, from Spain that is!, (or, less emotionally, to how your decisions fit the market you are addressing your products to) because it reflects how little you have evaluated how American Spanish would "sound" to a Spaniard audience. First of all, it simply is not what we speak. Surely we appreciate the fact of sharing a language spoken by more than 300 million people. We can understand each other and communicate without barriers. But it simply is not the same. It feels foreign and strange to us. Would you have considered it OK for the whole English audience to use actors with a distinctive and closed accent from some small village in Scotland, reading dialogs full of slangy expressions with opaque meanings? Well, for a start it is a similar thing to us: it feels too peculiar of a particular place and only makes sense (when the dialogs MAKE sense, which is not always the case) when the character portrayed is supposed to explicitly show that s/he is from that very place (and last time I heard them, nothing in the story of Halo 1 made me guess Master Chief is from Mexico or somewhere nearby), while it is Spaniard Spanish that feels neutral to us and that draws away the attention of why his place of birth might be important to the plot. That's what makes it unfortunate. Next is what makes it cheesy. Spanish videogame players will be tying Halo 2 voice talents, wether they are good or not, to cheesy American Spanish TV serials starred by mediocre actors playing overacted mediocre stories aimed to an audience of, mostly, bored housewives. That is the American Spanish we have been exposed to most, and what most people will think about when they find out that Halo 2 uses the same accent that we are most used to place in the former context. This is already being commented in lots of community forums in Spain. It is the easy joke and hence the joke that Halo 2 will be the target of. A joke, that is, for those that do not care about the game. A lack of respect and a ruined experience to those who would want to love it, but who will be reminded of MC's weird origins and Cortana's peculiar speech synthesising engine each time any of them open their mouth. This is not intended to be some sort of xenophobic attack to the American Spanish community. I am sure they do have very talented actors, and that that exposure makes us having a biased view of their dialect, the same way that, most probably, they do not feel confortable with the dubs, intended for Spain, that so many times they unfairly receive. We are different markets that deserve individual attention. This time, they got a dub suited for their audience and we celebrate for them. But you just cannot put a community of almost 400 million people in the same bag. Halo 1 was a landmark in how much care and attention could be put towards the Spaniard community of XBox players, and videogame players in general. Many developers have followed since, bringing proper localizations with excellent Spaniard actors to their games. It came upon us as a rather sad and bitter surprise that XBox's flagship title, what was to become possible the best videogame of this generation, the one we had been anxiously waiting for years, had been dilapidated in such a ridiculous way because of a lack of perspective and care about your fan base. Still, those of us of the minority that can understand English might always decide to buy an imported version with original English voices (which is, whether you can understand it or not, quite preferable to American Spanish to lots of us). But it simply is not the same. A sincerely disappointed fan PS: The only way I can imagine we could have a satisfactory solution is to have Bungie and Microsoft issue, in a nearby future, some sort of patch with Spaniard voices, preferably the ones that, after Halo 1, have become the "original" ones to us, through XBox Live, if its size makes it possible, or through the DVD of the Official XBox Magazine for those that do not play online. The harm has already been done. Please, evaluate this option as a way to repair it. PPS: I would like to bring to your attention an initiative by some signing XBox users of Spain, to make a formal and public petition to Microsoft Corporation and Bungie Studios to mend this very problem. The petition is still barely one day old, has already >450 signatures, and counting. It can found at http://www.petitiononline.com/xbox2es/
English
#Halo #Halo2

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• i'm with Bagre in this. I noticed Spaniards get always translations from english to spanish, so they like it that way. I'm from Chile, and i'm ok to listen to my game in english. I loved HALO1 because it was in sweet nice english voices, no subtitles and all american style. Please, M$, don't ever dub my games to spanish anymore, i like them just the way they are, IN ENGLISH! i really hope Bungie may include English DUBS as part of downloadable content for XBox LIVE! so i don't have to sell my HALO2 LE in mexican Dubs to get the American version. [Edited on 11/19/2004 12:07:41 PM]

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• I am disappointed too by the unfortunate localization for Spain of Halo 2

Posting in language:

• I am from mexico and I could not possible hate the dubbing any more. They say the dumbest things, I almost turned the game off when I hear a marine yell "abuelita de batman!" -blam!- microsoft, I love bungie and I do not believe it had anything to do with them. But microsoft really ripped us all by dubbing it. Why? because I will have to buy an american edition of the game in order to ever be able to replay it. They should´ve left it in english, what the hell are subtitles for anyway? What do I care If I can read it in english or german or french if there is no way I can hear it the way I want. Now I did this, and I suggest you all do the same: Go to the "weekly what´s update" tread and ask frankie (nicely) that they never ever let microsoft do that again, it is offensive to their own creative rights, and they should demand total control over that. Go now. I think that they have to read what you post there, for they might mistakenly skip this forum... I do not understand why Spaniards like their games and movies dubbed, But we, at least here in mexico, dont. all the movies are in their original language (except kiddie movies) and all have subtitles, we like it like that cause you can actually get the emotions the actors where trying to transmit. So, microsoft: stick to what has always worked. Spaniard Spanish for spain. Original english versions for the rest of us.

Posting in language:

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] AzPlaya Well, stop complaining and by an American copy or make voices in your head. I am fed up with everyone complaining more and more about Halo 2. Just get over it. Thank god I'm American. I get the good copy! And what do you expect Bungie to do? Hire 1000 people on each character to portray the voices for slang, non-slang, normal, sub normal, hich, and all the other accents? If all the races in the world stuck together, no one would be in this problem. Blame God, Jesus Christ, Adam, and Eve for this unfortunate event and LEAVE BUNGIE ALONE. THEY CREATED A GAME FOR ITS GAMEPLAY, AND THAT'S WHAT YOU GOT! You can skip through the cinematics anyway.[/quote]Like they said in the first post, which you should have read all of if you are replying. What if they did Halo 2 for America in scottish accents using scottish phrases and expressions you were unfamiliar with? With low quality voice acting to boot. I'm sure you would be just as dissapointed. And from the sound of it, Bungie did just fine with the voice acting on the first Halo. There's no excuse why it shouldn't be the same quality or better. Although I (not being spanish) do not suffer this problem, I fully support you in bringing this flaw to bungie's attention.

Posting in language:

• I am disappointed too by the unfortunate localization for Spain of Halo 2

Posting in language:

• For a quality experience, the girl had to be real spaniard…

Posting in language:

• I'm pretty sure Spain got glassed by the covenant in the game.....

Posting in language:

• Hello: It would want to show to them to my great deception and indignation on the translation of this magnificent game, HALO 2, in spanish. The location seems to me very unfortunate, since, the translate conducted with the voices of Latin American actors, do not have, nor close by, the same accent that the Spaniards. Nor that to say it has on the used jargon. It entails to the bad interpretation of the dialogos, the "interruption" of the game to analyze certain phrases (although equal, they differ in the accent, confusing. And making, the continuous inmersion in the game, imposible); even reason for laughter, since they are related to comedies of South America, emitted in TV in Spain. Also it is necessary to say, that the bad intonation of the lattin Amercians actors does not help either, since to many them note that are reading a script, and not acting. You stop yourself to think if they are actors really. I am very disappointed with the purchase of this very good game (little that I have played), and would be very hopeful to count on possible "re-traduction" of the game, with Spanish actors. If possible, with such that in "HALO" (first part). (The TV spot have a correct location...........why???) You are the only real help ! Thanks for its attention and time. Greetings.......and congratulations for make games like these. ------------------------------------ Petición a Microsoft y Bungie por una adecuada localización para España de Halo 2. Petition to Microsoft and Bungie for a proper Spaniard localization of Halo 2. [url]http://www.petitiononline.com/halo2es/ [/url] ) [Edited on 11/17/2004 2:36:39 PM]

Posting in language:

• im spanish and i thought it was pretty good except for the accents when they swore ( cabrone? thats how it sounded)

Posting in language:

• hello just to say that i'm very dissapointed too with the spanish dub. it's a pity that a game like halo 2, where you get the best feeling of inmersion, has been ruined due to the dub. And the worst thing is that they did a good job in first Halo with spanish dub. Why have they've ruined it in Halo2 ?

Posting in language:

• First of all, I would like to congratulate Bungie Studios por making such amazing games as Halo and Halo 2. Second, I must say [b]I am also very disappointed with the spanish dub of Halo 2[/b]. I understand it may sound well for our brothers in Latin America, but we don´t speak the very same language, we do not use the same expressions and phrases. This time, they got the best part (while usually, if a game arrives localised to spanish in America, it comes in castillian spanish). All this said, I just say I cannot understand why Microsoft ruins the game experience of Halo 2 players in Spain (and they perfectly know, at least in the Xbox/MIcrosoft headquarters in Madrid, this is a real fact, not a theory), mostly when the first Halo game was well translated and dubbed for Spain. Two years of expectation and waiting ruined for a few thousand bucks that probably don´t make a difference when Halo 2 is the most emblematic game of the Xbox platform, with so many millions and millions of dollars put into its development and marketing/launching campaign. [b]And the worse of all: the Halo2 TV spot for Spain has been perfectly dubbed [/b]to our natural variant of the spanish language. Why not just leave the "neutral spanish" voices on it? Because they know people here are not stupid and there is no neutral spanish at all. Try to find "neutral spanish" in the language configuration list on Microsoft Windows and tell us when you ever find it. You WON´T. [b]And the other side: Microsoft has perfectly translated and localised Fable for Spain. Are they telling us that doing so with Halo 2 was much more expensive and bla, bla, bla... than localising an RPG with thousand of storyline and conversation dialogue lines?[/b] Many and many of us, who are lucky to know some english, have cancelled our spanish version preorders and imported a UK-PAL version of Halo2. I am still waiting for someone responsible in Microsoft Spain to resign for this, or at least, ask for excuses. We do not deserve this. And Bungie and Halo2 do not deserve this. Congratulations again for Halo2 to Bungie.

Posting in language:

• Yes, you guys should have seen me asking about this a couple of weeks ago. I hate the dub, I live in colombia and I'm not into any kind of dubbing at all. I wouldn't have enjoyed the game more if it was dubbed in Castellano, Cubano or whatever. I wanted the ORIGINAL ENGLISH voices. I really can't understand why microsoft and bungie chose to leave the english voices out of the game and replace them with the spanish voices. They could have made the game play in the language of the xbox system, that way I would be playing my game in english and not hearing stuff like "granada del demon!". What a waste, really. Biggest let down. What were you thinking bungie? What were you thinking microsoft? All that is left for me to do is wait till the game drops in price (tough luck, that'll be in like 10 years) and buy the english version.

Posting in language:

• Blame Microsoft, not Bungie. Culpad a Microsoft, no a Bungie. Y por cierto, las voces de los humanos no estan demasiado bien, sin embargo las del Pacto si q molan, al menos a mi si q me gustan. Eso si, hubiera preferido tb voces en español de españa, q se le va a hacer... [Edited on 11/15/2004 5:14:02 AM]

Posting in language:

• lame

Posting in language:

• hello just to say that im very dissapointed too with the spanish dub. it s a pity that a game like halo, where you get the best feeling of inmersion, has been ruined due to the dub. i have reached the point to stop playing it, cant, the dub ruined it all. its like you buy the game in english in the usa, and it comes with dub from ireland or australia, or something like that. i dont know if you plan to fix it, but please, have it in mind for the next time

Posting in language:

• hello just to say that im very dissapointed too with the spanish dub. it s a pity that a game like halo, where you get the best feeling of inmersion, has been ruined due to the dub. i have reached the point to stop playing it, cant, the dub ruined it all. its like you buy the game in english in the usa, and it comes with dub from ireland or australia, or something like that. i dont know if you plan to fix it, but please, have it in mind for the next time.

Posting in language:

• hello just to say that im very dissapointed too with the spanish dub. it s a pity that a game like halo, where you get the best feeling of inmersion, has been ruined due to the dub. i have reached the point to stop playing it, cant, the dub ruined it all. its like you buy the game in english in the usa, and it comes with dub from ireland or australia, or something like that. i dont know if you plan to fix it, but please, have it in mind for the next time.

Posting in language:

• Oromat, happy to hear that, maybe I'll ask my brother to bring me a German version then (I' German). It just sounds like a rip off that I should have to buy a "foreign" version since the one being sold in Spain has such crappy dialogue quality.

Posting in language:

• I don't care so much about the accent. I care about a soldier next to me being shot at in campaign mode saying "Caramba!" Pardon me, that's supposed to be NEUTRAL Spanish? Yeah, just like, "B-blam!- mate" is neutral English, right. And in addition to those not-really-neutral expressions and some words I don't even understand (though I learned Spanish in Argentina and live in Spain, so I should know all "neutral" terms, right?), there are those brilliant "Spanglish" words thrown into the mix. I mean, how hard can it be to have your translator call the Master Chief a "Demonio" instead of a cheesily pronounced "Demon"? And then you have the fact that the translators don't seem to give a bleeping bleep about their work. There is no "voice acting" in this version of Halo 2. There is "Here is your text, read it". I don't think I've seen a game with such poor dialogue intonation before. PACMAN's BLEEPS seemed more real than these overpaid guys - overpaid because they shouldn't have received a penny for this sub-standard quality. So why do we even bother? BECAUSE HALO 2 IS THE GAME OF GAMES, DAMMIT! I paid 70 freaking Euros for my Collector's Edition, and now I have to try and sell it on ebay or something without too much of a loss to get the original version sold in the UK - not because of the language but because of the voice acting, said to be excellent in the English version and simply a total flop in the "Spanish" one. To those saying "you can skip the cutscenes", well great, if I didn't want any STORY TELLING in the campaign mode why not skip it alltogether and go play live right away! You may be happy skipping the story of the game hopping through the levels like a trigger-happy brainless killing machine, I'd like to get involved in the storyline of the sequel to the best game I had played to date, thank you very much. Everyone I've talked to that have the "Spanish" version rate this game as 10 points with sound off, 5 points with sound on. And then there's Bill's people's reaction. If you mail MS with a complaint, you'll get a standard reply saying how Southamerica has 300 million people and they have to cater for that market bla bla bla. 1) 120 million Brazilians won't be happy with a SPANISH version as they speak PORTUGUESE, so your number are slightly off. 2) I don't see countries with a poverty rate of about 70% such as Argentina (I've got family and friends there) as a very attractive market. When I went there som 18 months ago the Xbox wasn't even for sale there. 3) If you send out a standard text to your customers, DO make sure to use the spellchecking. How unprofessional can you get. I applaud Bungie for this excellent game. Shame on MicroSoft for what they did to it. Oh, BTW, many Spaniards are already saying that if this is to continue, the next generation of gaming consoles they're getting won't be MS. I guess MS will be happy to hear that as they can then pay full attention to the cheesy SouthAmerican dubbing for their "300 million" potential customers, including 120 million Brazilians and another 100 million that don't even have enough money for a TV set (or electricity for that matter).

Posting in language:

• U r a K K K member

Posting in language:

• Hm the localization of halo 2 is definitly better here in germany than it was in halo1. Its no problem to translate english movies or games in to german, since the two languages are very related. Learning english can really be that easy when youre german, most of the words are nearly the same and the grammar is so much in order (ah i love that language). Oh and i already spoke english, yes i ordered a coke in an english mc donalds, next to Harods when i was in London :) . Perfect done, great actors in german version. I can understand why you are disappointed about the Spanish and French versions, the grammar and the word length is too differen. Its typicall that sentences will be shortened and changed in their meaning or grammar, to get them spoken in the time, the characters move their mouth. [Edited on 11/14/2004 5:28:37 AM]

Posting in language:

• Perdon.... [Edited on 11/14/2004 5:20:35 AM]

Posting in language:

• ::: Proper Spaniard Spaniard localization of "Halo 2" for Xbox. ::: ;)

Posting in language:

• I am disappointed too by the unfortunate localization for Spain of Halo 2. You can' t create a videogame that will make history and forget about one market where has to be sold, no matter how little or big is. The increidible game experience that can be enjoyed by users around the world has been denied to spanish users. It' s not a matter of racism or problems with any other country. We are claiming for a personal localization for each country that needs it in order to keep the play experience of the game as it was createad. You can't enjoy art in all its extension if there's an element in it that is far away of your quality standard. For me and many other spanish users Halo 2 was the most expected production of the year ( this is like a film for those who love videogames ) and the mistake on localization has been an attack to the quality of the game. The game in Spain can't be enjoyed in all its greatness. Please, help us Bungie :|

Posting in language:

• oops, double. [Edited on 11/14/2004 3:39:03 AM]

Posting in language:

• I am very disappointed too by the unfortunate localization for Spain of Halo 2. Bungie, listen that did Micro$oft in Spain with Halo 2... :-(

Posting in language:

You are not allowed to view this content.
;
preload icon
preload icon
preload icon