This Week At Bungie – 1/26/2023
Jan 26, 2023 - Sam
This week at Bungie, we have some announcements, reminders, and things, oh my.
Happy TWABsday, Guardians! Today we are talking about creepy crawlies what’s wrapping up at the end of the Season, and a note on yesterday’s downtime.
Similar to last week, we had another blog post go live yesterday sharing some economy updates and more changes coming in Lightfall. Here is a quick breakdown of everything we talked about:
- Umbral Engrams
- Ada-1's future
- Vanguard and Nightfall focusing
- Focusing costs
- Legacy focusing
- Legacy match rewards
And if you want to read more, you totally can after you finish the TWAB.😉
Alright, let's get into the news for today, shall we?
Yesterday’s Triumphs Fix and Rollback
Earlier this week, we released Hotfix 22.214.171.124. Shortly after, reports came in that many Triumphs, Seals, and catalysts were missing.
We discovered that the issue was caused when some currently incompletable EDZ and Nessus Triumphs were moved from Forsaken into the archived Triumphs section. To make that change, we used a tool that can move player state from one location to another in the player’s account. This tool is very powerful but requires careful and cautious handling. Due to a configuration error, we accidentally re-ran an older state migration process used for the Beyond Light release. As a result, we ended up re-copying old data from before Beyond Light into the current configuration, essentially undoing certain aspects of player progression since then.
Once we identified that the issue resulted in a loss of player state, we took the game down and rolled back the player database while we investigated how to remove the dangerous change from the build. Last night we constructed a patch for 126.96.36.199 that removed the specific change that was causing the issue, tested it, and deployed it to live.
As a result of this fix, all player accounts had to be rolled back to 8:20 AM PST on January 24. This means that any progress made between 8:20 and 11 AM was lost, and all purchases refunded.
You can find more details at our new @Destiny2Team account here. Thanks again for your patience while we sorted this out!
It’s a Creepy Crawly Life
Are you ready, Guardians? It’s that time of year where we get to vote on our Festival of the Lost Armor themes. Make sure you keep reading, because we did change things up a bit this year, but if you have any questions feel free to sound off on socials. To get into the changes more specifically, in past years, two Festival of the Lost Armor themes were developed (e.g., Monsters and Dinosaurs), then the voting occurred at the theme level and voting was aggregated across classes. In 2023, one of the big changes we are making to our voting is making voting class-specific.
Last year, voting was very close, but it wasn't consistent across classes. To help make sure each class gets the armor set they're most excited about, we've decided to let each class vote individually rather than bucketing armor sets together. To address some of the logistic issues with that approach, we're trying something a little different with the concepts. Instead of making two themes, we've chosen “creepy crawlies” as this years theme. You’ll be voting on two different interpretations: A spooky spider style or a bone-chilling beetle body. This means that if Titans want to live the arachnid life and Hunters can't live without glowing wings, everybody wins!
How you vote is changing a little bit as well to accommodate these updates. If you signed up for emails via your Bungie account, you’ll receive an email allowing you to vote for your primary class. For example, if you’re a Hunter main, you’ll receive a Hunter email. We know a lot of you play more than one class, and others haven't been able to receive our emails for one reason or another. If you're in one of those two groups, we have a solution for you as well. We’ll have a separate voting link where you can submit your votes for your secondary class (or your primary if you didn't get the email). These votes will then be blended into the same pool as the others.
Lastly, we have a quick disclaimer: these are draft concepts. While we don't plan on changing them, we reserve the right to do so. We're saying this because if our art team comes up with an awesome way to make them even cooler, we want the flexibility to make those changes. They're masters of their craft, and we want to leave them the space to do what they do best!
UPCOMING CONTENT CHANGES
Next week, we’re planning to deploy some new updates to help everyone complete their collections this Season:
- Weekly Deepsight (red border) weapon focusing from the Exo Frame at the H.E.L.M. will be adjusted to daily availability for the remainder of the Season to help players craft those final weapons before Lightfall arrives! This will also apply to vendors offering guaranteed Deepsight weapon focusing from Seasons 16 to 18.
- As a reminder, Iron Banner reputation gains will be increased in several ways when Fortress returns on January 31. These include:
- An increase to base reputation earned per match.
- An increased multiplier contribution from wearing Iron Banner armor.
- An increased multiplier contribution from equipping an Iron Banner emblem.
Go earn that chainmail shader if you haven’t already!
SEASON OF THE SERAPH ENDS SOON
With Season of the Seraph and Year 5 ending on February 28, 2023, now is a great time for players to redeem any Bungie Rewards retiring at the end of the Season. For a list of Bungie Rewards that will be expiring on February 28, please view the Bungie Rewards page.
It’s Almost Time, Guardians
Alright, Guardians, we are getting to that time in the game where we need to start wrapping up some Triumphs and Seals before the end of the Season. Make sure to grab your fireteam, or at least your Ghost, and get those Triumphs!
- Moments of Triumph 2022 T-shirt
- Moments of Triumph 2022 MMXXII Seal
- Moments of Triumph 2022 Patch
- Crisis Inverted Pin
- Seraph Seal Collectible Medallion Pin
- Wanted Seal Collectible Medallion Pin
PLAYER SUPPORT REPORT
A million pets are not enough for Archie.
[Chanting “DPS! DPS!”]
Our Player Support Team is back this week and ready to dive into our known issues and some changes coming up.
- The Season of the Seraph Seal only needs 9 of the 10 available Triumphs to acquire the title.
- The Abhorrent Imperative quest cannot be picked up if a player's bounty inventory is full. Players will need to make room in their inventory to pick up the quest step.
- Some Season of the Seraph armor may display the message "Unlock this item in Collections to purchase" when viewing the Seasonal vendor screen. If a player sees this message, they will need to earn the armor elsewhere before purchasing additional armor from the vendor.
- Revision Zero's Hunter's Trace intrinsic perks may not unlock after "Should You Choose To Accept It" quests are completed simultaneously.
- Many weapon crafting quests and Triumphs are not progressing.
- Deep Explorer Boots are missing from the armor ornament menu.
- Shotgun reticle remains on screen while emoting.
- Find fireteams on the companion app doesn’t work for accounts whose main characters are from Stadia.
- We are aware of an issue causing the "Next Artifact Unlock" to incorrectly display "0/1" instead of expected XP progress. This is a visual-only issue and players are still able to earn additional Artifact unlocks by earning XP.
Hit or miss?
Ivan: Low on HP and need cover after a gunfight? The creator of this video shows why that’s sometimes not enough to be safe. If I were the one to name this video, it would definitely be called “Funky Grenades.”
Movie of the Week: Spike Nades, SooooGood
Bruno: Throwing yourself at enemies is hard, and steering to correct at 200mph is not easy either. But let's be fair, because this is not a Titan thing. I've also seen Hunters miss six Golden Gun shots in a row, and Warlocks just throw their Nova Bomb a little too close and turn themselves into grape juice. “Seen” as in, “been there, done that.”
Movie of the Week: Missing the target like a champ
B-b-bonus Movie of the Week: Warmind towers, STOP LOOKING AT ME
Year of the Rabbit
Hippy: Look, I know that the adorable smollen is “yesterday’s news,” but this little cutie will always be number one in our hearts. Plus, you are morally obligated to share any art that features itty bitty Eliksni cuteness. Sorry, I don’t make the rules.
Art of the Week: Eliksni Hatchling Reps Bungie Foundation Love
Sam: AHHHHH! [deep breaths] Sorry I just cannot believe we are so close to Lightfall launching. I don’t know about you, but we are so ready to see all of the wild and Strand infused art you come up with. Speaking of Strand art, here is...
Art of the Week: The Architect's Discovery
And there you have it, the final TWAB in January. I have absolutely no idea how this month went by so fast, and goodness that means we are really, really close to Lightfall. Okay, we'll let you get back to the game, Guardians, but before we do, here’s your reminder to get those Triumphs wrapped up and make sure you’re following the Destiny2Team Twitter account. We hope you get to sit in a sun puddle soon.