JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Destiny 2

Discuss all things Destiny 2.
10/5/2020 3:58:35 AM

This video details just how bad cosmetic microtransactions are for the consumers of the gaming industry. Looking at you, Eververse...

All you gotta do is watch the video.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• Except no one forces you to get it. So only people who WANT to spend money actually spend money...and its only cosmetic.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• Cosmetics are the morons loot, and should be wiped from games entirely cause this shit replaces real meaningful rewards. Hate this garbage.

Posting in language:

The difference here is that eventually most ornaments, ships, sparrows, etc become available from bright dust. Not that eververse is a good thing, but it at least has that going for it.

Posting in language:

• Edited by GalvanicAxe0: 10/7/2020 12:09:58 AM
    In terms of destiny, cosmetics suck because eveverse gets all the cool armor, so it makes it seem that the in game armor you can earn isn’t really that good looking compared to what eveverse gives you .now there are some awesome sets from the endgame, buuuut for the average casual, they don’t have trials sets or raid sets or whatever. so the casuals, who are the majority, look to eveverse for their version of cool armor which results in all the things talked about in the video, ie money sinks and psychological manipulation. The counter point is that in destiny we have bright dust, and as long as that stays somewhat easily attainable, we’re all good. (Bungie you’re better not nerf bright dust again).

Posting in language:

• I get it so you would rather have non-cosmetic game altering micro transactions.

Posting in language:

• He's not wrong in that developers have figured out how to monetize the dopamine dump players get when receiving "high end" loot. He's not wrong in that developers are preying upon children and those with addictive personalities. However, I don't believe the idea of greed is solely found in the video game industry. Most industries will screw over employees, consumers and future consumers if it means maximizing profits today. I put a lot of blame on lobbyist and politicians who enable things like this.

Posting in language:

• I like micro transactions because it's a game cost that you have a choice in. Non optional game costs would be higher to make up for the loss of income if there were no micro transactions. If others want to pay for me to play, I'm perfectly happy with that.

Posting in language:

6 Replies
    • [quote]All you gotta do is watch the video.[/quote] It's a super-important topic, which means posts about it deserve the best kind of treatment. [i][b]M I N I M A L D E T A I L S[/b][/i]

Posting in language:

• Name one thing from Eververse that players are shamed or bullied for not having. Honestly, one thing.

Posting in language:

• You do know that you should have a thing called "Self Control" right? You are the one that decides to buy a Cosmetic thru Cash, not Bungie. And it's not like Bungie doesn't give you the options to either Buy them thru Bright Dust or Randomly thru "Bright Engrams" that you both earn thru Gameplay. You are insane if you think you need to own everything in Eververse. It's is meant to drive up revenue for Bungie. Y'know the ones that maintain the servers so we all can play.

Posting in language:

19 Replies
      • Edited by Knox Knox: 10/6/2020 1:40:43 PM
        Such a great topic to discuss nowadays. I watched the video and browsed some responses here. All have valid and good points. It seems though that this is getting out of hand in the industry. I agree with some of the points in the video. Pathological addictions and psychological addictions are definitely a big factor. Because of that, it is easily abused by the industry. Now, if the issue goes down to "Abuse," then maybe it's time to "Regulate" it. The video game industry seems to be unregulated when it comes to what is valid and not valid pricing practices. And when slowly this gets out of hand, it's time for the government and justice system to step in and regulate it. I'm down for regulating game prices and even microtransaction prices. That would mean taxes and jobs, as well as regulated same prices on all games and microtransactions across the board. All game microtransaction prices are the same across the board on a given platform and they are taxed. The same with all base game prices. All will be regulated and audited. If there are anomalies, you can report them to FTC or another judicial body that would regulate them. Since this is starting to get out of hand. I would rather have this mess regulated than keep arguing who is right or wrong. America should lead on this. The others will just follow. This is my 2 cents. If you want this to happen, be vocal and talk about it with your Representatives, the Congress, the Senate, any Law-Making body. Write them, all of them, and make them aware of this issue. You could even involve the Justice Department because they work hand in hand with the FTC, Federal Trade Commission. If you want this mess fixed, this is the only way. Regulate it. Make everyone accountable. Including your choice, the costumer and consumer. Be vocal and write or talk to your representatives, both either in Congress or Senate. They are the Law-Making bodies of America. Your voice as a consumer can be heard. This is my 2 cents.

Posting in language:

6 Replies
        • The guy in the video clearly has no idea how many skins/etc. were in old games. Were they unlockable just by playing? Yes. Were there lots and lots of them? No. It's ridiculous to pretend we used to get all this content for free. We didn't. Completely dishonest video.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
          • Well of course you're looking at eververse. Where else would you look?? 🥴

Posting in language:

• Edited by BarretOblivion: 10/6/2020 4:48:27 PM
            This is completely full of BS. So according to him, F2P games should not exist and games to where you pay for stuff like characters would be fine, or games should just be sold at $90 at release (because news flash guys, selling the game at $60 is no longer correct when taking inflation into account). Now, look, should we want more stuff to unlock in the game via gameplay? Yes, but it can't be everything else D2 would need to go back to being a paid base game release (which at this point is impossible).

Posting in language:

• People are so lazy to Express their opinion that they already leave a video with someone else's opinion without having their own.O times, o manners.

Posting in language:

• He makes it sounds like wanting to earn money in a free to play game is a sin. I love to work for free.

Posting in language:

• I watched 90% of this video and definitely 100% agree with alot of the key points. I made a video about this last year... the amount of free loot has dwindled down drastically.

Posting in language:

5 Replies
            • Yeah they obviously need the money to keep going, it's why the company's that made god of war and the Witcher games have gone bankrupt.....oh wait...

Posting in language:

• i really would like a game funding balance sheet somewhere in the tower and a lil donate page with eververse discounts and silver bounties available when the game is funded to various stages, first stage being DEDICATED SERVERS

Posting in language:

• Edited by Alad V: 10/6/2020 3:53:41 PM
              The Destiny 1 microtransactions were fine, but Destiny 2’s went too far. For example, ghost shells used to be standard loot from activities, but were dumbed down and phased out to be just cosmetics you can only find in Eververse. Same for other stuff.

Posting in language:

• I dislike micro transactions because it give developers a lazy way to get out of creative ways of putting cosmetics in game.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
              • Edited by Lull9: 10/6/2020 7:26:54 AM
                Microtransactions are sleazy and exploitative. They are a way for a developer to make maximum profit for minimum effort. And they will never get "enough" money. They will always push them as far as they can to make "more" money. Or until people get completely fed up with them or they're regulated. Fun fact: The typical real-money cost for ONE season of cosmetics in D2 has been more than the cost of purchasing all of D1 and D2 at full price as they were released. I would much rather developers "earn their keep" and actually produce a quality game that stands on its own merit even if they have to charge more upfront. I'd much rather pay what the game actually costs if they make it worth it than get a "discount" because they suckered morons into paying for the game for me via microtransactions. You don't really care? I get it. But even if you don't buy them, they're still cutting content out of the game to sell back for more money on the side. And they care a lot less about making an outstanding game because they're not trying to sell a game as much as they used to. Instead, they're trying to sell microtransactions.

Posting in language:

4 Replies
                • I think the video is interesting. There's a lot of good points he makes there. I feel when it comes to Bungie they are very fair with what we pay for. Now more than ever with them self publishing I am comfortable with the Eververse store. The fact we have access to so many cosmetics in game that are so well designed gives us a lot of freedom. I still rock my Flawless 9 Trials ornaments but I like the look. I cash in my weekly bounties and find I generally always have enough bright dust to pick up the choice items I'd like from the store. That having been said I am an adult with the means to purchase things should I want to. His video makes a key point about vulnerable people being exposed to pressure around buying "to keep up". Bungie took out the loot box style engrams and now we can freely select stuff for silver should we want to. I usually buy 2-4 items at the start of each season because it goes into the funding and "measured success" of a game I play daily and love to bits. I do think a counter point is that there is alot to be said for children needing to be exposed to haves and have nots in a controlled manner. It's an important life lesson. Ultimately, it's about balance and I think the game is currently in a very fair and healthy place.

Posting in language:

• Yeah, I bet another YouTube video will get those terrible companies to stop.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
                  • Nah.

Posting in language:

3 Replies
                    • I did watch the video, and although he does make good points, most of what he said is extreme exaggerations and a lot is flat out lies. He fails to cover all of the points that make micro-transactions favorable. He also fails to suggest realistic alternatives since companies do need to make money in order to make games. To suggest micro-transactions should stop being a thing is stupid and flawed. Obviously there needs to be a balance, and companies can, and have gone too far at times. Honestly though, micro-transactions aren't at all the real problem here. I have no problem with micro-transactions if they mostly go to pay for more content. I don't however like it if the money is mostly going into the pockets of the executives of the company. Really though, that is a problem independent of micro-transactions, because regardless of who the company makes its money, too much of that is going to the CEO's and other top executives.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
                      You are not allowed to view this content.
                      ;
                      preload icon
                      preload icon
                      preload icon