JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Destiny

Discuss all things Destiny.
Edited by InitialDeath: 12/17/2014 3:05:51 PM

I feel I'm addicted to Destiny

So I was unable to play destiny yesterday since the internet at my hotel wasn't working. While I couldn't play, I felt sad and upset that I couldn't do my bounties or the daily. I felt like I missed out. After I got back home today and played destiny for a few hours, I felt really happy and satisfied. Something bugs the shit out of me though, that I missed out on one day. The one day I haven't logged in to play since launch. Its really frustrating. The world hasn't ended, nor has my life. I just feel like this game has taken the top position as my favorite pastime. Its usually some sort of video game anyway(or book, movie, TV, board game, music), its just interesting that a game designed to be so monotonous can leave me wanting to come back again and again. I think they found out a way to inject crack into my eyeballs, just from looking at my TV screen. Thoughts are welcome and thanks for reading my first post. I appologize if this ends up in the wrong category. Edit: You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the comments so far :) Edit 2: Holy shit guys we're trending the top 10. Way to go addicts lol Edit 3: When I created this post, it was mainly for my own need to address my connection to this game. I felt I needed a way to see how far down the rabbit hole I had gone, so to speak. I welcome all comments regarding others personal attachments (or detachments) from all types, not just gaming. We are all capable of indulging too much in something we enjoy. The key is to not let it consume you and find help if you feel it might. That's the hardest part for me. Identifying and admitting when I start to indulge too much. The comments posted here since this began have allowed me to see that WE are not alone. WE are united. I want to thank everyone for their support, their information, their stories and personal experiences. Its you guys that I'm addicted to. You guys make this game fun. Now get the F out of here before I roll you all up and smoke you.
English
#Destiny

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• I did the daily yesterday and got a legendary engram. How does that make you feel? I shouldn't have played either, me and the girlfriend were going out early. I jumped online and bashed it out whilst she was taking a shower, my fix to get through the day.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

3 Replies
    • I'm on withdrawal at the moment - I'm on the Destiny patches - however, she needed attention, so she's getting attention. Shhh, it's alright girl, shhhh. *strokes screen* Shhh.

Posting in language:

• Yep. The only reason why i'm considering to give up Destiny is simply because i fell i'm becoming too addicted to the game, and that it is having an impact on my RL. Having a baby and a girlfriend doesn't make the sutiation easier, either.

Posting in language:

7 Replies
      • I think part of it is the I guess what you would call the reward center of your brain. Your brain gets a little rush when you find something legendary or exotic. It feels good to get something exotic or legendary. And it's so far apart between getting one and getting another that your brain wants that rush again. So it pushes you to play one more. It's pretty much like a gambling addiction

Posting in language:

2 Replies
        • I made this gif as a visual representation of Destiny and the player.

Posting in language:

• The moment a game begins to feel like a second job, rather then a fun, enjoyable experience....it's time to put the controller down and walk away.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
          • Edited by Guardian Ziv: 12/15/2014 1:13:10 PM
            REDACTED

Posting in language:

• I just took a couple of days off to spend time with the Mrs and get some jobs done around the house, when I returned I joined my friends party and was shocked to hear a bunch of grown men with families and mortgages talking about upgrades, drops and gauntlets for my warlock like a bunch of 13 year old kids, holy shi!t I thought was I that bad? So I turned it off and watched a movie with my family which was far more rewarding I gotta say.

Posting in language:

2 Replies
            • Well, that's what Bungie set out to do. Make a compulsive game.

Posting in language:

• Took a break for a week or so to play farcry but DB bought me back so I'm back on the destiny crack pipe-say can anyone spare a few strange coins??! Please mann lol

Posting in language:

• Edited by blakmoariwhitey: 12/15/2014 12:33:38 PM
              i was addicted now i cant play best thing that ever happened. will get ps4 but once the division hits another addiction will occur

Posting in language:

• I'm going to miss xur a couple of times and whenever he comes I look it up on YouTube on what he's got hoping he's got shit for the warlocks so I don't miss out sorry warlocks out there.

Posting in language:

• its the same principle as slot machines , the core of the game is simple and repetitive but the hope to win something (jackpot = exotic drop) keeps you repeating the process , to the point it consumes your life/soul

Posting in language:

1 Reply
              • Does anyone know if there is a Destiny Anonymous? I'm willing to take the first step and admit I have a problem.

Posting in language:

• Limit your time like I try to. Play it an hour or so a day apart from nightfall or raid days, then chill and play something or do something else. I think a lot of people are addicted.

Posting in language:

• I am so addicted to destiny my mum banded me from it for two weeks I sneaked on it after the first week she caught me she made it a month 2 weeks to go :(

Posting in language:

• I think that's the case for the most of us, its a very addictive model that has been set out. I too HAVE to do the daily missions, daily bounties, weekly stuff etc. I missed out for a couple of days and felt like the world WAS going to end. Then I came back to it and was like - so what. I can't let my life be ruled in this way. I literally felt panicked that I had missed the bounties and daily shard grind\mission. Every day you miss is Ascendent stuff lost man! And since starting another character this has gotten worse - I have to do everything TWICE!!!! I've had another break since then too, which I would advise anyone to do if you are thinking about Destiny and playing Destiny all day long. Missing a day just means a couple less shards or energy, some Vanguard points less - its ok. You'll be alright. Don't wait for your internet to break or your console blow up and have to go cold turkey. Do it on your own terms.

Posting in language:

• Yeah I kinda feel the same way. Though doing other things away from the TV removes that feeling so maybe just go do something else for a while.

Posting in language:

• I have only slept 6 hours since tuesday night. Trying to get 3 toons to 31 and down crota on all of them. I will not sleep untill i down crota. Yeah im addiced.

Posting in language:

• I'm just as addicted

Posting in language:

• I play every other week and on my off week I normally get super hyped for Xur and for getting new weapons and armor in general

Posting in language:

"Just one more Roc strike and I might drop Gjallahorn... No? -blam!- you RNG! Ok, just one more..."

Posting in language:

• Yeah I think I am addicted also. I am gonna try to stop for a few days and see how that works. Hopefully I don't go into detox.

Posting in language:

• When you play Destiny, your brain produces dopamine, which is the hormone that causes addiction of most things. Humans like to do things repeatedly if they make us feel good.

Posting in language:

• Snap it's very time consuming actually finished everything on the game for the day and I still disnt turn it off was walking around the tower

Posting in language:

• Edited by Coyote_x_Starrk: 12/15/2014 10:24:24 AM
                Once you realize all of your time has been wasted and once you reach the end of the rabbit hole only to find a wasteland of nothingness and inept story design you will realize that what you have been missing is a real intact game. The gameplay is absolutely amazing. Amazing enough to make you not realize that the game is a hollow shell of a real game that has no story or direction.

Posting in language:

6 7 8 9 10 11
              You are not allowed to view this content.
              ;
              preload icon
              preload icon
              preload icon