JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Foros

publicado originalmente en: Should Destiny 3 be rated M for Mature?
6/14/2019 5:27:15 AM
If they treat the story with respect without trying to foolishly retcon everything? Sure. The Red Legion's attack on the City is a good example of a watered down story that could of been better if the writers fleshed everything out and presented it with a Mature rating. This was a horrific invasion and yet it's treated like a Saturday morning cartoon.
English

Publicando en idioma:

Cancelar Editar Pórtate bien. Echa un vistazo a nuestro Código de conducta antes de publicar tu mensaje. Crear escuadra Publicar

• ..and what would seeing people executed have brought to the story that being told about it didnt'? What would seeing helpless Guardians murdered in cold blood add to the story that seeing their dead bodies strewn everywhere didn't? Storytelling is like a watching a good stripper. What is left to your imagination is often far more compelling and interesting than things you are vulgarly shown. Which is why some of the scariest movies are the ones where you aren't quite sure what it is your dealing with. Movies like Poltergeist. Alien. Paranormal Activity. Etc. The Red War wasn't "watered down". It was a story about someone who didn't understand the difference between power he wielded as a result of the POSITION he occupied....and PERSONAL power. Guardians have PERSONAL power. Dominus Gaul had power because he was leader of an entire society dedicated to war. Though he claimed we were cowards cowering behind walls...the truth is that he sat on his command ship...and let others do all the fighting and dyign FOR him. They are not the same...a point that he started to realize (too late) in his confrontation with The Speaker.... ...and that ultimately cost him his life when he tried to challenge us directly in combat. ...and when he (The Legend of Icarus....not Acrius) was forced to face the full power of The Traveller and its Light on his own. Like Icarus, his arrogance took him took close to a power that was beyond him....and it was his undoing. The lack of blood and gore created the room to tell a much more interesting story.

Publicando en idioma:

Cancelar Editar Pórtate bien. Echa un vistazo a nuestro Código de conducta antes de publicar tu mensaje. Crear escuadra Publicar

• Ever heard of show don’t tell? See people getting executed as we limped out of the city would have been far more compelling than seeing a few cabal soldiers and tanks driving around. It’s because seeing them getting executed would have made us realize we were powerless to save their lives. I’d much rather see war crimes happen then hear about them from someone like Zavala.

Publicando en idioma:

• Editado por kellygreen2: 6/15/2019 10:13:44 AM
    Ever heard of “Less is More”. This isn’t [i]Saving Private Ryan.[/i]. Bungie wasn’t trying to tell a story about the horror of war. They were telling a story of what is worth fighting for and why people fight. Very different story. And if Ghaul expressing his utter contempt for you and putting his FOOT on your face to kick you of his flight deck like you were a public toilet that hadn’t been cleaned in a year didn’t make ready to rage in powerlessness? Nothing was going to.

Publicando en idioma:

• You ever play halo reach? The mission where you’re fighting for new Alexandria. Civilians are rounded up by the covenant and you come in and save them. The game should be more dark. “This game is about the light and what you’re fighting for” well if all I’m fighting for is to get my power back that’s selfish. I’d love to actually know what I’m fighting for. And keep in mind halo reach didn’t have the best halo story out there but it was leagues better than destiny 2. A mature rating would fit this game nicely. You could explore even deeper into the hive considering their goal in life is simply to murder.

Publicando en idioma:

• You missed the point. Go back and watch the cutscenes between Ghaul and The Speaker. Also listen to The Traveller’s monologue to use on Io when we get our new subclass. None of this has anything to do with being selfish. In fact it’s the opposite. The story being told is that we are the Traveller’s Chosen. We are chosen because we are willing to die over and over and over again in the service of the protection of Life. Two lines from gear descriptions in Destiny 1 bear this out: [i]We are an army of the chosen dead.[/i] [i]Heaven can wait. There is still too much work to do here in Hell.[/i]

Publicando en idioma:

• Again you’re missing the point dude. There’s no downside by having it be rated M besides maybe cutting off a few 12 year olds from playing. They can tell grittier stories. I don’t care about the barebones “We’re chosen” story from D1 vanilla it was trash in my opinion. However things like forsaken and hopefully shadowkeep are darker which draw me in more. Warmind could have been amazing if it were darker and had better writing.

Publicando en idioma:

• I’m not missing the point. I’m saying that what you are calling for adds nothing of value to the story Bungie is choosing to tell. You basically want a [i]different [/i] story told, and I don’t find that story interesting.

Publicando en idioma:

• I don’t want a different story told I would’ve been fine with vanilla D2 if the writing was good. However when the darkness that we know is coming actually gets here bungie is gonna need to step up their game and add some stuff. Because if I just see dead guardians I’m just gonna be like “Oh cool it’s the red war again” I’d like to see the darkness killing things because it’s supposed to be an extinction level event.

Publicando en idioma:

• Yes you do. Bungie is telling a story of spiritual/philosophical significance that is masquerading as a sci-fi action tale. Much like [i]The Matrix[/i] movies. What you are asking for would detract from that story. Like showing up naked to give a speech. People would focus on your lack of clothing and not on what you were saying.

Publicando en idioma:

• So you’re telling me when the literal apocalypse comes to the solar system you want “A spiritual story” akin to the matrix. I’m sorry dude but I’m gonna have to heavily disagree with you. The darkness needs to be shown as a big threat since they’re supposed to be able to drain our light. I’m gonna need to see more than 3 dead guardians to get the full scale of what I’m going up against. You’re making it seem like any kind of violence in a story detracts from it. That’s not true at all. Watching cayde get murdered instantly made me angry and pulled me into the forsaken campaign. It made me realize the barons and uldren were no joke. The red war could’ve been improved with a few things like that. I’m not saying every cutscene should’ve had hundreds of people dying but watching people get murdered enhances the story sometimes not all the time.

Publicando en idioma:

• Do you have any idea how many stories out do exactly what you’re talking about? It’s [i]dull.[/i] It’s dull, and what you’re asking for distracts from the story Bungie is telling.

Publicando en idioma:

• Okay so how do you want bungie to tell the story for the darkness. Do you want it to be some boring ass spiritual story? Your idea for destinys story seems very boring

Publicando en idioma:

• It would have made it more relatable, like I said. We could of seen last minute heroic acts, yes gruesome deaths and such. Because it was a war. Not a skirmish or a water polo match. I don't think that making it grotesque for the sake of grotesque is the answer. They opted to remove ANY element of war to appease a wider audience. A Family Film. Thats my beef. We want to be immersed in the story and it's difficult to get there when they're too busy making it kod friendly. Destiny, at it's core, is not kid friendly.

Publicando en idioma:

• Editado por kellygreen2: 6/14/2019 9:02:48 PM
    [quote]It would have made it more relatable[/quote] Disagree. It would have focused your attention on the blood and guts....and left no room for the more sophisticated notions that were the core of the real story being told. [quote]I don't think that making it grotesque for the sake of grotesque is the answer. They opted to remove ANY element of war to appease a wider audience. A Family Film. Thats my bee[/quote] No they remove elements that added nothing to the story they were telling. As I said, Star Trek doesn't have blood splashing all over the bulkheads. Not because they are "afraid" or "offended" by it. Its because that stuff adds nothing to the exploration of ideas and principles that forms the basis of a good Star Trek episode. [quote]We want to be immersed in the story and it's difficult to get there when they're too busy making it kod friendly. Destiny, at it's core, is not kid friendly.[/quote] Then you and I have two VERY different notions of what it means to tell a grown up story. Because the things you are asking for don't make a story a "grown up" one. It makes it a LURID one....and often times prevents a story from exploring anything beyond an adolescent fascination for the---to put it bluntly---vulgar. The last two books in the Harry Potter series didn't have any sex, blood or gore anywhere to be seen....but they were ANYTHING but kid-friendly. They were at times BRUTALLY dark...and told a painful tale of the loss of innocence. As Harry and his friends saw their people that they knew die....and people that they trusted either betray them....fail them...or disappoint them. As people who were once children had to step up to do the things that many of the adults of them lacked the character or the courage to do....even though it was their JOB (morally or in reality) to do so I have no problems sex, blood or gore when they are present in the service of telling a story that can be told any other way. But to simply put them into a story to feed a fascination for seeing it...may have an allure when you are teenager. They become tiresome as an adult. .

Publicando en idioma:

• Well...*sips coffee* we'll just have to disagree. I don't want grisly details as a central focus, but instead they would add to it and deliver a Hey This Is Serious tone to the viewer. No sex or gore. Cause then it's a late 90s slasher film lol

Publicando en idioma:

• The red war wasn't a bad story. Maybe for you. From a story telling point it was the best story telling we had so far in Destiny games.. The story was well explained. The majority could get into it. It was an entrance for new guardians as well.

Publicando en idioma:

• It wasn't bad. It just wasn't as meaningful. Where was all the scenes of carnage and mayhem to incite an emotional response? How can you get into a story about a Cabal invasion when it was so disconnected from the people and Guardians whose lives were lost? This was also supposed to be a World Without Light....and we got it back really fast.

Publicando en idioma:

• [quote]How can you get into a story about a Cabal invasion when it was so disconnected from the people and Guardians whose lives were lost?[/quote] Because that wasn't the story being told. It was simply the back drop for the actual story. The actual story was an exploration of The Light...The Traveller....what it means to be a Guardian....and the difference between personal power and positional power. [quote]This was also supposed to be a World Without Light....and we got it back really fast.[/quote] Because the point wasn't what WE would do without it....but what other Guardians would do without it. Ikora Rey captured it when you hear her say, "I'm more than my Light. I could have tried (to stop the Cabal). I should have tried.".....and when she said, "I can't help feeling that this was all a test by The Traveller...and that I failed." It was a test. She failed it initially when she (and Zavala) chose to evacuate the Tower and to leave the Traveler to its own devices. She eventually passed it when she (and others) came back---and risked it all---to rescue the Traveller and save the system...when they could have simply fled and saved themselves. It was when The Traveller realized that we were willing to risk everything to protect it...to protect others...and to protect LIFE....that She finally revealed that She was awake..... ....and probably had had the ability to protect Herself the whole time. But She needed to see if WE were allies worth risking the shitstorm that Her revealing Herself would bring.

Publicando en idioma:

• To be fair, this isn't a bioware game with deep story telling. It is an action scifi space magic game. [spoiler]But to keep you covered, if my movie scripts work is successful with the first movie in 5 Years, I can tell you that the movie during the red war will have what you're looking for. [/spoiler]

Publicando en idioma:

• No it isn't. But this is 2019. If you can't make an in-depth, relatable story by now you shouldn't be making games. That's just my two cents.

Publicando en idioma:

• I read alot of the lore. It didn't catch up my emotions all the time, but it does sometimes. From my point of view it is difficult to differ between my own perspective and the common sense.

Publicando en idioma:

• Id rather not have another borderlands

Publicando en idioma:

• Do you mean with how the story plays out mission wise? If so, I agree with you. Got back into Borderlands recently. I like Borderlands for what is, but I also love being able to hop on Destiny and just focus on shooting. I love both series, but I don't think I would enjoy Borderlands mission structure in Destiny.

Publicando en idioma:

No se te permite acceder a este contenido.
;
preload icon
preload icon
preload icon