“There should be no single answer for how to win in Destiny.”
"Balance is not about everyone being equal, but rather that not everybody is doing the exact same thing. If everyone is doing the same exact thing, something is not balanced. Everybody is trying to pursue the same unbalanced thing."
The Auto Rifle archetype is designed to appeal to players who like to throw up a wall of bullets and not worry if a few miss their target. It is intended to inflict sustained damage at close to medium range, but to lose effectiveness at longer ranges.Today the Auto Rifle is too effective at long range, even beating Scout and Pulse Rifles in some circumstances. Expect stability and/or damage adjustments to the Auto Rifle to address this in the weeks ahead.
Scout Rifles are for players who like to keep their enemies at medium range and hate to miss. They are intended to be an awkward weapon to use at close range but to be dominant - as long as you land your shots - at medium and longer ranges.Scouts just aren't hitting hard enough today when compared to other precision weapons. We'll be addressing this soon.
Shotguns are for those situations where you need to deliver a massive spike of damage, right now, to the thing standing next to you about to do you harm.Today shotguns are effective beyond their intended range, especially when upgraded with that intention. Expect changes soon to address shotguns which push the envelope of what it means to be close quarters.
MythoclastIn this week's Hotfix, we reduced the efficacy of the Vex Mythoclast, the drop players who beat Atheon on Hard have a chance to earn for their achievement. Our nerf was intended to target PVP play - where we felt and heard that Mythoclast was over-performing - but it also reduced its effectiveness in PVE.Our PVE nerf was stronger than we intended and we are going to fix Mythoclast in PVE.Mythoclast and Raid-forged exotics have three experience goals which drive their creation:
- Mythoclast is a trophy weapon from the most challenging PVE activity in the game. You braved our hardest challenges, we want to reward you with a weapon that outperforms the other primaries in your PVE arsenal (Nightfall Burn and Epic Skulls notwithstanding).
- Mythoclast should be a valid choice in PVP, but should not be the optimal choice. This aligns it with our philosophy on Exotics throughout the rest of the game. We don’t want any one Exotic to be the only answer to the question “what should I bring into PVP.” Suros Regime, for instance, is still too effective in PVP compared to other Exotics.
- Mythoclast's power tail is long enough for players to rely on in the next Raid. For a player and their group of six who beat Atheon on Hard mode, we'd like the Mythoclast to be a weapon they can continue to rely on in the next Raid, Crota’s End.How we are moving forward:
- We are adjusting the base damage on Mythoclast. We are going to find a value that works for both PVP and PVE.
- In addition, we intend to raise Mythoclast's attack value above and beyond the other exotics. Attack value dictates how much damage players deal to combatants and Mythoclast attack value being raised will make it more effective in PVE.Timeline for these changes:
- They’ll be going in soon.
- We have a more substantive update in certification right now, which slows down our ability to make changes to the Live game.AtheonNext week's Hotfix is going to contain some fixes to the Atheon encounter.
- We've added "baby bumpers" to areas where players could knock Atheon out of the environment.
- Knocking a boss off a ledge is a bug. We will seek to address bugs like these as quickly as possible.The encounter goal for Atheon is to act as a climax and the culmination of learning for a given Raid group. Part of that is making sure that each player in your group can perform every job as required. A change will take effect next week which fixes a bug with Atheon's target selection. When using its Timestream ability, Atheon will select 3 players at random, instead of choosing the three players furthest from it.
In the race to make sure Destiny players’ NAT type wasn’t causing problems, we never properly conveyed which problems can be solved by opening your NAT. An open NAT isn’t a magic bullet that solves all networking issues. We know a lot of you have worked hard at understanding port forwarding and troubleshooting your internet connections, so we want to make good on this and clearly state what port forwarding can potentially solve:
- Frequent BEAVER/FLATWORM/LEOPARD KTOs (Kicked To Orbit events)
- Unable to hear voice chat from other players in your own Fireteam
- Frequent empty Towers
- Activities failing to find a game (resulting in ‘unable to find a match in time’ errors)
If you aren’t experiencing the above-mentioned problems, we strongly recommend that you don’t mess with port forwarding as it is a delicate procedure that may worsen your situation if done incorrectly. If are experiencing any of the above problems and are afraid that you may have forwarded ports incorrectly, don’t worry: It can be undone. Please try removing any existing port forwarding rules that you implemented for gaming, then enable UPnP in your router settings if your networking hardware is updated to a recent firmware. If you have UPnP on and no other forwarding rules and the problem still occurs, or if your networking hardware/setup doesn’t support UPnP, ONLY THEN attempt to forward ports manually. We are extremely sorry for any confusion. We put our help article writer into an isolation cell to think on what they’ve done and we are revising our help pages to communicate clearly.With the most recent update this week, the DOC has seen a drop in NEWT, PANTHER, COCONUT, GRAPE, GROUNDHOG, EEL, ELDERBERRY, and IMPALA errors. Unfortunately, there has been a small increase in BEE and BABOON KTOs. We are investigating and identifying the possible causes of this change. We are working on problems you may be encountering while playing Destiny, because your happiness is what makes us happy.
Your role as a moderator enables you immediately ban this user from messaging (bypassing the report queue) if you select a punishment.