Bungie.net Profile: Account Creation, Linking, and Recovery
Bungie.net Profile Creation
Authentication Methods: Singing in to Bungie.net
First, players must have a valid PlayStation, Xbox, or Battle.net Account in order to create a Bungie.net profile. Additionally, players will be required to have a valid Destiny Character created with a level of 4 in order to engage in Bungie.net forums.For steps on how to create authentication methods for the preferred gaming platform, players should follow these links:Once an Authentication method is available, players may proceed through the Bungie.net profile creation flow. Destiny characters and data will be tied to the authentication method, and appear on Bungie.net when linked.
Changing Passwords for Authentication Methods
Bungie.net does not provide a method of resetting authentication method passwords. These passwords must be changed through the support website of that authentication method.
Bungie will occasionally send specialized communications, news alerts, and other custom messages to players that have a validated email address and have opted-in to these communications. For steps on validating an email address while setting up a Bungie.net profile, please see the Email Validation guide.
Managing Additional Authentication Methods
Adding or Linking New Authentication Methods
If a player engages with Destiny 2 on multiple platforms, they may wish to link multiple authentication methods to a single Bungie.net profile. To do this, follow these steps:
- Sign in to Bungie.net with the original authentication method
- Visit the Settings page
- Click "Accounts & Linking."
- Click "Link" next to the desired authentication method
Please Note: Only one of each type of platform account may be added to a Bungie.net profile. A Bungie.net profile may have up to one PSN ID, one Xbox Gamertag, AND one Blizzard BattleTag linked, but cannot have multiples of any. Furthermore, PlayStation Network accounts may require more details, such as a creation of a PSN ID, before the account may be linked.
Removing or Unlinking an Authentication Method
If a player wishes to remove an authentication method, they may follow these steps:
- Sign in to Bungie.net using the authentication method that is NOT being removed.
- Proceed to the Settings page and click "Accounts & Linking"
- Click "Unlink" next to the appropriate authentication method to be removed.Players will be required to authorize the unlinking request using the authentication E-mail and password of the account that is being unlinked. If there is a single Authentication method tied to a Bungie.net profile, it may only be removed by merging with another Bungie.net profile. For steps on how to do this, please see below.
Merging Authentication Methods from Multiple Bungie.net Profiles
Players who have created multiple Bungie.net profiles may choose to move all authentication methods to a single Bungie.net profile.
- Sign in to the preferred Bungie.net User Profile using the account credentials that are currently tied to that account
- Proceed to the Settings page
- Link the authentication method used to access the other profile. You will be asked to confirm that you want to move the authentication method from the old profile. Confirm the decision.If a player moves all authentication methods to the wrong Bungie.net profile, they may recover the desired Bungie.net profile by following the steps listed below.
Bungie.net Profile Recovery
If a player has lost access to a Bungie.net profile by removing all associated authentication methods, they may proceed through the following steps to reclaim their account:
- Identify the authentication method used to create the Bungie.net profile that was closed or lost
- Ensure the authentication method has been unlinked from any active Bungie.net profiles
- Click "Create a new account" and use the account credentials that were originally linked to the desired account
- Select "Recover" next to the desired Bungie.net profile and complete the account reclamation process, which may be identified by profile membership ID's or Bungie.net join dates
Please Note: For a Bungie.net profile to be recovered, it cannot be linked to any active authentication methods. If linked, it will not be presented to the player during the account recovery flow. Players will have up to 90 days to recover lost or closed Bungie.net profiles. After 90 days, this process will be unavailable.
Twitch.tv Account Linking
Players are able to link their Twitch.tv account to their Bungie.net profile.
- Twitch.tv account crednetials cannot be used to access a player Bungie.net profile
- A Twitch.tv account can only be linked to a single Bungie.net profile and will be automatically removed from an old profile if linked to a new one.To link a Twitch.tv account, players will need to perform the following:
- Log in to their Bungie.net profile.
- Visit their Profile Settings page.
- Select the "Accounts & Linking" option on the bottom-left side pane.
- In this section, under "Connections", find the Twitch icon and click "Link".
- Follow on-screen prompts to complete Twitch.tv account linking.Please Note: The “Can’t Stop the Signal” Emblem promotion for streaming Destiny 1 on linked Twitch.tv accounts is not applicable to Destiny 2.
Microsoft Authentication Security
Bungie.net has moved to new authentication technology provided by Microsoft, which requires permissions be granted to Bungie for Microsoft Credentials to be used during the sign-on or account creation process.Bungie.net requires the following permissions:
- Sign-in to Xbox Live and access and update the Xbox Live Account and interact with the Xbox Live service.
- Access Xbox Live info anytimeThese are the minimum permissions needed in order to provide the following two services:
- Sign in to Bungie.net with a linked Microsoft Account and Xbox Live Gamertag.
- View Xbox Live friends list when signed in to Bungie.net.Please Note: Revoking permission to Bungie.net will prevent access to a Bungie.net profile or any features on Bungie.net tied to Destiny characters.If a player wishes to revoke these permissions, they can do so at this link: https://account.live.com/consent/Manage