Destiny Account Restrictions and Banning Policies
Players that violate the Code of Conduct or the license agreement that governs Destiny may be restricted or banned from some or all Destiny content or activities. Please see below for more information on the Destiny Account Restrictions and Banning Policies.
Account or Device Restriction
If a player receives a message that references an account or device restriction, they have temporarily lost access to the activities indicated in the restriction message.
- The restriction message may indicate which activities are impacted, the duration of the restriction, and whether the restriction is at the account or device level.
- Players who receive an Account Restriction may resume participation in the restricted Destiny activities once the restriction has ended.
- Players who receive a Device Restriction will be unable to play the restricted Destiny activities on that hardware until the restriction has ended.
Account or Device Ban
If a player receives a message that references an account or device ban, they have permanently lost access to the activities indicated in the ban message.
- The ban message may indicate which activities are impacted and whether the ban is at the account or device level.
- Players who receive an Account Ban will no longer be able to play the banned Destiny activities on that account.
- Players who receive a Device Ban will no longer be able to play Destiny activities on that hardware.
- No account will be able to participate in activities in Destiny on a banned device, regardless of the individual account ban status.
- Players that purchase a used console or PC that has previously been banned will not be able to connect to Destiny using that console or PC.
Restricted Access to Gear, Items, and Content
When losing access to specific activities, players may also lose access to gear and items associated with that activity. This can include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Weapons, Armor, or Ghosts
- Consumables or Mods
- Bounties, Missions, and Quests
- Adventures, Milestones, or Weekly Engrams
- Shaders, Ships, Emblems, or Sparrows
- Guided Games
- DLC or Expansion Content
Please note: Players may lose access to all gear associated with an activity that they have been banned or restricted from, even if that gear was received outside of the activity via purchase from a Vendor or received from a Weekly Clan Engram.
Player Behavior that can lead to Account Bans or Restrictions
Bungie regards some behavior to be in breach of the license agreement that governs Destiny, and therefore potentially subject to access restrictions or bans. This behavior includes, but is not limited to:
- Connecting to the Destiny game service with any of the following:
- Modified game software
- Modified game assets
- Modified hardware
- Modified console firmware
- Using an external program to modify the operation of the Destiny game software, such as:
- Trainers, mods, cheats, aimbots, or autofire.
- User mode or kernel debuggers
- Graphics hacks
- Sending malicious network traffic to Destiny servers or other Destiny players
- Using an external program or device to automate gameplay or circumvent idle detection.
- Modification or interruption of Destiny network traffic with intent to disrupt the experience of other players or to gain an advantage in the game.
- Intentionally deriving gameplay benefit from another user’s behavior in the above categories.
- Unauthorized access to Destiny software or downloadable content (game piracy).
- Impersonating a Bungie, Microsoft, Sony, Blizzard, or Activision employee.
- Online behaviors disruptive to the experiences of others, such as:
- Hate speech, griefing, or message spamming
- Habitual unsportsmanlike conduct
- Habitual quitting or idle behavior in matchmade activities
- Intentionally deleting another player’s items or characters by logging in with their account credentials
Additionally, Bungie may issue restrictions or bans to accounts that have consistent unstable connections when playing Destiny, as this negatively impacts other players. For steps on how to stabilize your network and connection quality, please follow the Network Troubleshooting Guide.
Please note: Bungie reserves the right to permanently ban Destiny accounts or player hardware that have been confirmed as repeat offenders. Activity bans or restrictions may be escalated to device bans after multiple confirmed offenses.
Player Behavior that can lead to Device Restrictions or Bans
Consoles or PCs which have been identified as being used by multiple players or accounts that have received a Destiny restriction or ban may be subject to a device ban. A device may also be banned if it has been detected to have modified hardware, software, or firmware, as listed above.
Please note: No account will be able to participate in activities in Destiny on a banned device, regardless of the individual account ban status.
Disputing a Ban or Restriction
There are NO options to dispute or overturn account restrictions or bans.
- Permanent account bans are only implemented with rigorous checking to ensure that the innocent are not punished alongside the guilty. Bungie does not comment on or discuss individual account restriction or bans.
- Restrictions are temporary, and will not be overturned or undone before they expire. Once an account is banned however, that ban is permanent. Account restrictions and bans are only done in extreme cases; if actions were taken against your account, then it was with reason.
- Bungie takes actions to preserve the experience of all Destiny players, and does not take account restrictions lightly. Players are responsible for their online account and console hardware, and any actions taken in the world of Destiny, and should be careful of who they allow to access their Destiny account.
Legitimate Player Behavior that will not result in Restrictions or Bans
Bungie views the following behavior to be legitimate:
- Using static analysis to reverse engineer data formats for the purpose of viewing game assets extracted out of the data files. Please note: Runtime analysis is not permitted and could result in an account or device ban.
- Publishing or sharing information about Destiny and/or its game assets via any non-commercial means.
- Accessing the publicly-facing Bungie.net and Companion web APIs in a manner that does not create an unreasonable load on these services.
Bungie will not punish a player for just playing the game. Players are encouraged to enjoy Destiny in whatever way they find fun: dancing on a Vendor’s head in the Tower, spamming grenades in Crucible matches, or just climbing a cliff in the open world to sit for hours enjoying the gorgeous view. It’s the player’s choice on how to they wish to enjoy their time in Destiny. If they are merely playing the game, then they are not doing anything wrong.
Please see below for more information players may find useful regarding Account Restrictions and Bans.
- PC Third-Party Applications: Running third-party PC applications that are incompatible with Destiny 2 on PC may impact game performance or prevent the game from running properly. Bungie will not ban or restrict players for using common third-party applications such as Discord, XSplit, OBS, RTSS or other apps as outlined in the Destiny 2 PC and Third-Party Application Feature Compatibility guide. However, Bungie reserves the right to ban or restrict players that are using third-party applications to violate our Code of Conduct or the license agreement that governs Destiny as outlined above. Bans and restriction are not applied automatically. Bungie reviews all possible violations before applying a ban or restriction to an account or device.
- Game Exploits: If a player finds a game exploit, they should report it in the #Help forums. Players that discover an exploit should not be worried about receiving a restriction or ban. Bungie will not punish a player for discovering a game exploit. Players are encouraged to report any game exploits so that they can be fixed to ensure all players have the best experience possible.
- Reporting Players: Players that believe they have encountered another player manipulating a network connection or content should use the in-game Report Tool. Players who are unable to use the in-game Report Tool for any reason may report them using this Contact Form.
- Weasel Errors: When receiving a ban or restriction, players will be disconnected from Destiny services and receive Error Code Weasel as part of the process of applying the ban or restriction. This is expected and does not indicate that you have been banned or restricted due to disconnection.
- Restrictions Across Destiny Releases: Players who receive a restriction or ban in Destiny 1 will not be banned in Destiny 2, unless they also have a ban or restriction applied for that title. However, players that have ever been banned or restricted in any Bungie game are considered high-risk players. High-risk players are eligible for bans and restrictions at lower thresholds than players who have never been banned or restricted.