JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Service Warning
We are continuing to investigate issues of players encountering BEAVER error codes when attempting to play Destiny. Stand by for updates.

Community

Discuss what we all have in common.

8/8/2013 6:25:38 PM

Still want to see # of likes on B.net? A study of internet approval

This NY Times article debriefs an interesting study on likes / dislikes on the internet. It confirms suspicions I saw many people vocalizing in the debate over whether B.net should show the number of likes on a post. Check out the article for exact numbers, and the method used for this five month long study. Basically, when there is a visible like system, "liking" a post preemptively can skew the likes that post will get overall by 25-35% regardless of content. Very glad we did not go that rout here on B.NEXT. Dont forget to like! ;-)
Add more answer options

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• [quote]Basically, when there is a visible like system, "liking" a post preemptively can skew the likes that post will get overall by 25-35% regardless of content.[/quote] Does it really though? Seeing a like system won't affect my actual opinion of a post, but it might just [b]remind[/b] me to like a post that I like. Similar to many other feedback systems, people generally only bother to leave feedback when the feedback is negative. I know this is true of me as we'll. I might have the opinion of liking many posts, but don't bother to click the button. On the other hand, if I dislike a post, I'll definitely dislike it. If making the totals visible increases participation, I think that's a good thing. They'd have to show that it somehow sways opinions for it to be bad. [spoiler]I didn't read the article. I'm on an airplane, and it wouldn't load. Any further details would be great.[/spoiler]
    Add more answer options

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

preload icon
preload icon
preload icon
You are not allowed to view this content.