JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Destiny

Discuss all things Destiny.
Edited by DerekLW: 8/8/2013 5:19:55 PM

Destiny Map Size Confirmed + More Info

The largest single map will be 2 sq km, although there is no information on just how many maps there are. For comparison, Skyrim is assumed to be about 16 sq km. This is according to the Sep. 2013 issue of Edge magazine and a quote from Ryan Ellis, [i]"Sometimes a map is half a kilometer across, sometimes it's up to our engine maximum right now: two square kilometers."[/i] Other notable bits of information include: -The reiteration that a fireteam is composed of 3 players. -Public events are cyclical, so if you stay in the same place for a while, you will get an idea for how often an event occurs there. -If you stay in some places for an hour, you could run into 50-100 unique players. -A player from a public event cannot follow you into a private area unless they join your fireteam, although the Bungie devs are currently still discussing the best ways to implement features like this. -The author speculates that Bungie will create 4 games of Destiny, and 4 substantial DLCs and even assumes Destiny 2 will be released in 2016. -The 360/PS3 versions of the game will be identical in content and gameplay, but graphically different from the One/PS4 versions. -Although not confirmed by Bungie, a crafting system seems likely and was "teased" This is a lot of information so I was surprised nobody seemed to be discussing it yet. Make me proud Bungie forum, don't get hung up on all the trolls.
English
#Destiny

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• I read something about the swamps of old Chicago a while back as being a location. That is sick, considering I'm from just north of Chicago. And honestly, if people from other areas aren't aware, that's totally plausible. It's very swampy where I live an we just had a flood this spring. In a few hundred years I could see Chicago flooded and swampy for sure

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

3 Replies
    • I think the maps will be Huge! Remember that Ryan Ellis said that they are whatever the engine allows then to do right now. Keep in mind, destiny is still in a Pre alpha state, so they have not fully developed everything quite yet. I think on average, they will be about 1-3 square km. with some HUGE exceptions. But we will have to see.

Posting in language:

• I'd just like to highlight that four games and four DLCs and Destiny 2 in 2016 is all author's conjecture based on the Activision-Bungie contract that was revealed some time ago. It has in no way been confirmed by Bungie or any Bungie employee within the article.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
      • No doubt the area showed in the behind the scenes of the E3 demo is their largest area yet, that seemed huge and it was only 2km sq!

Posting in language:

• Destiny will add up quick! The last city will probly be 2km, old Russia another 2km, then we have Chicago, Venus, mars, the moon, Europa etc. it'll probly be a total of 20-25 km which is quite big.

Posting in language:

• That doesn't seem to be giving me the "huge open world" impression.

Posting in language:

9 Replies
        You are not allowed to view this content.
        ;
        preload icon
        preload icon
        preload icon