JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Destiny 2

Discuss all things Destiny 2.
5/4/2021 3:41:24 PM

Atheon is alive and apparently simulations can blot out the sun now?

New info on season of the splicer came out today as I'm sure you're all aware What caught my eye most is two things in particular The Vex city simulation: so the Vex apparently casted a "simulation" over the city that blocks out the sun. now forgive me but I don't think that's how simulations work... vex conduct stimulations within the Network or the infinite forest, I don't recall the Vex ever being able to project their simulations into reality. I feel like it would've made more sense that the Vex have locked the city in a time paradox or something where the time is permanently night or whatever. I just don't understand how a simulation can blot out the sun irl Atheon never died: so on their website there's a plot synopsis of the season and near the end they delve a bit more into the vault of the glass. They specifically talk about both it and atheon as never before seen threats, and that atheon has always been active and is behind what's going on. This absolutely doesn't make sense since we see in the view legacy tab we killed atheon, and curse of Osiris starts off with showing us presumably the fireteam that took him down I'd be more than happy to get corrected in the comments below
English
#lore #destiny2

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• Edited by Architect Mind: 5/8/2021 6:04:47 PM
    Again, the fidelity of the simulation, I commented on your last post about vex. People don't read long stuff because that's how the world is now. They don't travel through time, they have perfect control over all version of every instance of time...like how Rasputin can think faster than light, but is not the thought itself...they would be equivalent to thought. Bungie gave us a coined term in paracausal to make us feel special, powerful...but it is just a term to them. They have the beginning and end, everything in between will lead to those two points. This is Destiny, the term and the game, you are plotted out...no matter what direction you go, it will lead to what they want. Edit: my bad it wasn't yours, someone had asked about the vex and "time travel" abilities.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

1 Reply
    • As for the Vex simulation. Yes, you're right. Their power to control timelines and reality thus far has been limited to places they built specifically for it, like the Infinite Forest and the Vault of Glass. That's why they systematically transform every planet they conquer, so they can assume absolute control over it. However, it has been noted that they have been trying to overcome this limitation. The fact that they've been able to impose an endless night on the Last City demonstrates that they may have had a breakthrough, which would make the situation extremely dire. I expect an explanation during the season's story. I'll be very disappointed if they don't address it. As for the Vault of Glass, I believe the developers said that the reprised content is supposed to be "frozen in time", meaning that Atheon is not in really back. We're just dunking our D2 characters into the D1 timeline to play through it again.

Posting in language:

• <It gets confusing with Atheon because the idea is that the Vault created Atheon and Atheon created the Vault. Perhaps by silencing Atheon but not silencing the Vault it just continues that way, and so Atheon gets recreated? For the City... I honestly think it's just a Minotaur placing a device or abusing one already in the City that projects a simulation, and the secret of how to project a simulation outside of the Network was only recently figured out. Then again... Wait how did Oryx meet Sim-Aurash? Also I don't think the Sun is actually blotted out. I think what happened here was the equivalent of changing the wallpaper.>

Posting in language:

5 Replies
      • Don’t think about it too much, Bungie certainly doesn’t!

Posting in language:

• I was disappointed when I heard they weren’t going to update the vault of glass story. Most of us have completed it hundreds of times over the course of this franchise and those that haven’t could have an introductory mission to bring them up to speed. I’d like to find Kabr or explore some other aspect of what could be a great story. Don’t get me wrong I’m glad it’s back but I’m disappointed because it could’ve been so much more. But I will hold my critique until playing at the what I’ve heard so far gives me pause.

Posting in language:

3 Replies
        • Edited by DaRK AMeRoiD X9: 5/5/2021 3:29:00 PM
          Please,, no more. Last time I tried this it was me trying to make sense out of the Curse of Osirirs campaign. Never again.

Posting in language:

• Edited by Spidey: 5/6/2021 3:50:21 AM
          Restorative Minds exist, as we learned im D1. And therefore even Atheon, "The Conflux of Time", could have been easily replaced by now. Also who says that the Vault of Glass (or whatever it is, since only Guardians/Humans call it that way) is a unique thing? IMO every bigger vexified planetoid has its own. You don't kill a vex, I guess. You just destroy them until they got replaced.

Posting in language:

• There is no explanation, in the same way that the cosmodrome looks the same as it did before the RoI. Bungie has been screwing up the continuity left and right before even the reintroduction of the place, but this just made dead things come alive again for no reason. S.A.B.E.R. is alive, Sepiks is alive, there are still devils symbols in the place even though they all joined house dusk... At this rate, I dont even know if we should consider D1 canon anymore. Or the red war, for a matter of fact. Everything is just due to retconning at any moment. For all we know, Atheon never died, the Black Garden was already dead when we went there on GoS, Ghaul was actually a Vex, and guardians are simply a bunch of clowns that went insane due to the end of the world and now only survive due to plot convenience or something. This is a mess.

Posting in language:

3 Replies
          • The simulation can only affect the city because Ikora forgot to fix the railings that led to the Undying portal, meaning the Vex have a slight amount of control in the city.

Posting in language:

Claypidge
            Claypidge

smallen burrito - old

why don’t they jus simulate the traveler out of existence?

Posting in language:

10 Replies
            • Then we will fight in their shade

Posting in language:

• To quote a wise fish “How many times we gotta teach you this lesson old man?”

Posting in language:

1 Reply
              • Where is the part about atheon? They specifically say that story wise nothing will change with the vault

Posting in language:

• Then we will fight in the shade

Posting in language:

• Cause fukk it. -Bungie

Posting in language:

• The Vex use simulations to figure out how to program their will onto reality as a whole, much the same as the Borg nanites in Star Trek TNG overwrite a person. They found a way to force the sun to go dark through the simulations, then copied that formula and result onto reality. I don't remember the specifics, but i believe that the Vex did the same thing with Mercury using the Infinite Forest.

Posting in language:

• Edited by PhNx Hellfire: 5/5/2021 2:39:21 AM
                Time travel has always been a power of the Vex within the network. Back during D1 days this was the reason for why they will win over any other army of darkness (read original: Fallen, Cabal, Hive, and Vex). As for the simulations? It looks like the original theory is the correct one: The vex simulations can kill us and once they bypass the door? It's game over. We are venturing forth to shut down and prolong the nature of Atheon, Time's Conflux. [quote]Atheon never died[/quote] D1 vex lore: If you do not shut down the vex conflux then all they need to do is build a new one, sacrifice (if that is indeed what they are doing) to it and rebuild. This explained how they got the gate shut and locked for the black garden and why we ventured back in. It's just replacing a cog in a wheel and using the same signature to rebuild the big bad robot. [quote]They specifically talk about both it and atheon as never before seen threats, and that atheon has always been active and is behind what's going on.[/quote] The old meme says it best honestly: What if, by venturing into the Vault of Glass and defeating Atheon we started the chain of events to today? Is that why there are so many unique missions and strikes and enemies coming back? Did we break time itself in and partially out? Was Atheon a bigger handler then we gave credit? The answer was always yes. Back during D1, we literally had no other theory as to how enemies were coming back completely. Fact is, if the vex found ANY way to do what the Red Legion did to the Traveler? We would have a really.... REALLY... [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySkV5El4xM8&t=764s]difficult time beating them back.[/url]

Posting in language:

19 Replies
                • Maybe we've just been in a vex simulation this entire time?

Posting in language:

• Might be buried lore, but for most that will never read it, doesn’t make sense.

Posting in language:

• Edited by SirCornmeal: 5/5/2021 2:43:49 PM
                  For plot as to why Atheon never died we may have been teleported to the infinite forest and only killed him in simulations or the fireteam that did was erased from time its why kabyr, prayedeth and his team are forgotten. As for the sun disappearing everything would freeze over causing an ice age if it's real.

Posting in language:

3 Replies
                  • Bungie retcons strike again

Posting in language:

• Could be that the entire season will be exposed at the end as just a weird simulation experiences by fire teams in the Vault. Would explain a lot. Next season picks up with the IRL plot threads of our newfound Cabal alliance. Bungie needs to keep the focus fresh by rotating primary enemies, and this is a good way to do it. [spoiler]Sorry, all out of salt.[/spoiler]

Posting in language:

• Or it’s not connected to the story at all for season 14. It’ could be Bungie giving us an old raid to play as fan service with new updates to the raid.

Posting in language:

• Maybe it’s a mass brainwash, the sun is actually out, but we can’t see it because the Vex or something more sinister is messing with our mind. Maybe they put hallucinogens in the drinking water. Maybe our eyes have secretly been replaced while we were sleeping with robot eyes fabricated by the Vex in the past when they travelled into the future, which is the present.

Posting in language:

• Keep in mind, this whole video game is just a Vexing simulation. 😏 Trying to make sense of everything will likely drive you mad! ... Or make one a Salty forum commenter. 🤘😂

Posting in language:

• Edited by Ari Bray: 5/4/2021 5:29:44 PM
                    No, we only took him down in the future back then. He's still alive in the present before after we went into the VoG. Also, to answer the Vex Simulations in the city. That's because Ikora built a vex "portal" within the city back during the undying days. Plus, it has already been said before that the city would be simulated at some point, or already has been. [under your tongue is the taste of salt.]

Posting in language:

7 Replies
                    You are not allowed to view this content.
                    ;
                    preload icon
                    preload icon
                    preload icon