JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Destiny 2

Discuss all things Destiny 2.
10/24/2020 10:30:57 PM

Are Grand Master Nightfalls a failure?

Yes

No

Maybe/Not sure

I don't really see a point in GM Nightfalls.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• Edited by ninetynine: 10/26/2020 12:06:22 AM
    In my opinion, they are really good! (Not perfect, and could use some tweaks) They, to me at least, are compared to Destiny 1 raids in a way. Everything is trying to kill you, and everything is better than you. No Well of Radiance or Ward of Dawn can guarantee your survival. But I can totally see the point of how their only use is farming specific items or exotics. I think with the right adjustments, Grand Masters can be something like a raid, but toned down in mechanics and time to complete.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• I have yet to see fusion rifles as a reward for beating grandmasters so in a way yes.

Posting in language:

Yes. 100%. GMs are terrible. They require certain mods that can't be on exotics, red bars and pretty much everything are total bullet sponges for the sake of "difficulty," and some red bars can one shot you. This means that 99% of builds that don't focus on sitting back and team firing aren't usable. GMs don't promote "build crafting" as Bungie intended. They actively force the player into certain builds and playstyles and then force the player to fight an uphill battle. That's not difficult. That's not fun. That's just annoying.

Posting in language:

• If they were more rewarding then yes they would be worth it but they aint. The rewards should be as follows: 1x random fully masterworked legendary armor piece. 1x random fully masterworked legendary weapon that spawns with top tier perks. The weapons should never have useless perks. The random piece of exotic gear with high stat rolls. 10x enhancement cores 5x upgrade modules 2x prisms 1x ascendant shard. If that was a guaranteed reward for master nightfall it would be worth the time.

Posting in language:

• [quote]I don't really see a point in GM Nightfalls.[/quote] They made them for streamers. Somehow they are not a hit with everyone else.

Posting in language:

• Nightfalls were better in D1, where they were rock hard no matter what light level you were and kicked you back to orbit if you all died, no matter where you died.

Posting in language:

2 Replies
    • They're just not creative enough currently "Everything one shots" isn't creative or difficult, it's just boring because it creates a forced passive play style

Posting in language:

2 Replies
      • Agree, the power cap( limiter) just keeps it out of reach for most of the community.. it really dose nothing.. if you added weapons like adept or something, you would just see a while bunch of paid carries to obtain them.. so sad.. Look at the bright side you can watch it. lmfo

Posting in language:

• Agreed! Just tedious and stupid bragging rights and 1 title. The GM was an unnecessary addition and needs to disappear and be vaulted as well.

Posting in language:

• It was for the Datto crowd. After they do 100 GM's a month, they will start complaining again about how the game is too easy. lol.

Posting in language:

• Haven’t ran a single one. So no dog in this race. I will say this, I’ll never waste my time running something like it, loot drops I’ve seen people get?hell no. Exclusive armor and adept weapons, emotes, exotics, etc? Maybe customizable armor sets(meaning let us pick stats and perks)? I’ll run them all day. Not as they are now.

Posting in language:

3 Replies
        • Unfortunately, they're the only difficult pve activity. Just a harder challenge than easier NF modes.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
          • Masterworking materials are not rewards ..... and rng to boot . hard pass

Posting in language:

12 Replies
            • Yep. Just more elitist content 99% of players won't play.

Posting in language:

2 Replies
              • Edited by TheGiantCheeZe: 10/26/2020 11:36:17 PM
                Higher level Nightfall ordeals themselves are jokes right now. No creative mechanics, no alternate pathing, no nothin. All we get are bullet sponges and champions.

Posting in language:

• The activity itself is not a failure, but the incentive is lacking. Looking forward to Vanguard Adept weapons being exclusive to GM Nightfalls then being back here on the forums watching everyone complain.

Posting in language:

• My reason for not even trying: Champions Pinnacle power grind Artifact power grind Not rewarding enough for time investment For the 0.1% that enjoys them good for you.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
                • Edited by Grey-Fox-Omega: 10/25/2020 10:40:47 AM
                  D1 high level strikes and nightfalls, had lots of modifiers that had a big impact on the type of weapons and abilities you use, and how you play, these random weekly modifiers like arc burn, exposure and brawler etc. If they came up together for example they could make a aggressive close combat striker titan strategy work really well that particular week. This is because they boosted your character to make such a play style viable, for example exposure gave extra durability so you could get close to enemies, that you could then kill with a powered arc melee as the damage had been massively boosted by the arc burn /brawler modifiers, those melee kills would then trigger transfusion to recharge your health, throw on thagomisers for double melee and fast super recharge and you got yourself a fun viable close combat build in high level content for that week. . D2 subclass abilities for the most part are weak compared to D1, so you just can’t use them in any meaningful way in high level content, except smoke cos that plays into the hide at the back play style required. The defender subclass node giving over shields to you and allies for melee kills is a classic example of a pointless high level content ability, you can never melee kill anything in high level nightfalls to trigger it and those shields don’t recharge or even last more than a second when your taking fire anyway. . I’d love it if exotic weapons/armor and guardian abilities were built around high level content, but they are not, to me it feels like they are built around patrol level stuff mostly, so things like peregrine greaves or lumnia and defender overshields work ok in patrol level content (anything 750 light), but are pretty terrible/useless everywhere else. . If you had powerful weekly nightfall modifiers like brawler, airborne etc that gave your team the chance to vaporise a champion with Peregrine greaves, or synthoceps, nightfalls would be more varied, difficulty doesn’t just need to come from just killing enemies, it can also come from killing them in a certain way (melee, super, nades etc) or in a certain time. . Exotic armour/weapons really should have insertable mods to make them scale up, be a lot more powerful for high level content, guardian abilities like overshields should scale up somewhat so they are better/stronger in high level content, weekly modifiers that do this to abilities/exotics could rotate in and out to mix up the play style that week. Equip-able Mods could be tied into basic strike modifiers, like brawler, airborne or elemental burns, so when brawler is active you can equip brawler mods, airborne etc. . My biggest gripe with D2 is the amount of content is massive compared to D1, but at high levels it’s all played the same way. D1 had much less content, but it seemed like they invested a lot more time in giving that content more replay value. If they did the same in D2 they’d be sorted, In D1 all, high level content from heroic story missions to heroic strikes to nightfalls to 390 challenge of elders had modifiers to significantly mix things up, this made for a lot more variety in load outs/play styles as the best strategy one week would unlikely be the best the following week when the modifiers changed. For me personally that made all that D1 high level content way more fun, and replay able than what’s currently in D2.

Posting in language:

2 Replies
                  • I think the idea is awesome. It’s making Nightfalls what they were supposed to be. The issue is lack of incentive. Exclusive loot, mods, perks, even shaders. Something to make it worth doing other than a pinnacle reward once a week.

Posting in language:

• Meh, after doing Conquerer, I lost interest in them completely. There weren't any rewards I got that I hadn't gotten elsewhere in the game.

Posting in language:

• Its actually a success when you see what Bungie is trying to experiment with. Mods matter, supers matter, finishers matter, teamwork matters more. It really brings a more dynamic approach to their stoic strike design. If you want something more casual and mindless, just run through a normal strike then. We all know how boring strikes are.

Posting in language:

2 Replies
                    • Of course they are, they're just artificial difficulty amped up to 11, but that dumbass Luke Smith absolutely loves making things harder for the sake of them being harder. He's the entire reason the game is shifting away from the casual players that make up most of its fanbase. He's all about pleasing the streamers and the tryhards, and those folks don't care WHY something is hard or HOW it's hard, they just want it to be difficult. So in comes Luke Smith and the Bungie dev team, bowing to their every whim. You want hard? Okay, here. These missions require you to use this kind of mod OR these specific guns, because there are some enemies that can only be killed when those things are used on them, but there's also another kind of enemy that requires a DIFFERENT mod or gun set, so you have to have a mod or gun set for each of them. But it's okay, because you have a fireteam, right? So you guys only need to have one gun each for them. That leaves an entire two weapon slots open for you. BUT, sorry, forgot to mention, some of these enemies have CRAZY amounts of health, so you'll need DPS weapons on top of those specialized mods/guns to deal with them even after disabling their special stuff. Oh, and don't even think about switching up your build mid-game, we've disabled that too. What you enter with is what you have! And to make things interesting, make sure you do the right things in the right ways in the right order, cause if you don't, it's back to orbit you go! Oh, and don't die. If you all die, it's back to orbit you go! Oh, and there are also modifiers on the game that can do all kinds of things! Sometimes, you don't get a radar! If that happens, you also take extra melee damage and you know how these big boys like to stomp! Other times, you may be taking extra damage from certain elements. You know we're gonna stock the mission with enemies that deal that type, too, so be extra careful! And finally, to actually make it hard, the boss is going to have ads that are comprised of ALL THREE special types of enemies, so you'll need lots of ammo for your specialized guns/mods to deal with those, but also be sure not to forget about the smaller ads too, of which there will be plenty, because they'll 2-tap you at best and 1-tap you at worst, all while you're trying to deal with the mechanics and damage phases of the boss. Enjoy! Seriously...Grandmaster nightfalls are garbage and so is the idiot who designed them.

Posting in language:

2 Replies
                      • Edited by Doctor_Roidberg: 10/26/2020 6:34:06 PM
                        GM nightfall is garbage. You want to make something difficult, you introduce actually interesting mechanics. Cranking up the damage output of enemies by 300% and lowering player damage 300% makes it the most boring practice in repetition and most artificial difficulty of any activity ever. For example, Wrath of the Machine Aksis encounter still would have been just as hard even if the b**** ass Captains didn’t two shot you.

Posting in language:

• The annoying thing is that some of my clanmates could likely manage it but their artefacts aren't high enough (we did the Master Nightfall with no issue the other week)

Posting in language:

• They are all right. Would be better without champions. It’s not the degree of difficulty as much as it is the required weapon load outs.

Posting in language:

4 Replies
                        • I honestly feel the rewards for doing Grand Master isn't worth it and also can't use many builds on that mode as you really have to play it safe. If there was a better reward for doing it and also more build diversity that will work it will probably make it better. When I say better rewards I mean we need more special loot for nightfalls such as maybe have 2 weapons for each nightfall strike and a nightfall seasonal armor set and have grand master guarantee an award from that loot pool so you will either get one of that nightfalls weapons or an armor piece. Also the armor piece stats should be 60+. Maybe even adding other special loot such as an emote, ghost shell, ship, or sparrow that has a small chance of dropping would be cool as well.

Posting in language:

You are not allowed to view this content.
                        ;
                        preload icon
                        preload icon
                        preload icon