JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Destiny 2

Discuss all things Destiny 2.
lock This thread has been locked by Ninjas for breaking the Code of Conduct.
1/14/2020 5:18:41 PM

Thank you, Bungie, from a dad for being fair in a ban appeal

I want to thank you for putting in the appeal process for bans. Considering the network environment, it is something that has been very much needed. Plus, you made a dad look like a hero to his son. :-) The short of it is, my son was playing Competitive Crucible on Sunday evening. He kept getting dropped from matches. He was already extremely frustrated when he got hit with a ban for comp. A *one week* ban. I did a bit of investigating. Other in-game activities were fine. Other *games* were fine. We were pinging 16ms, with an end-to-end latency in the low 30s, which isn’t bad for console. Pulling 200 down and 8-12 up, as usual. So it was pretty clear to me the issue was server side. He does know to stay out of competitive events if *we* are having (rare) connection problems. He doesn’t like screwing up his or other players’ fun. So with that, I filed an appeal on his behalf. I included screen shot evidence of what I found, as well as suggesting the review his game history. Yes, he’ll bail on a non-comp match if he’s dropped into a 4-stack pubstomp mid-match, and I don’t blame him. However, he *doesn’t* bail on competitive or Gambit and he has a play history to show it. He didn’t think Bungie would care whether he was innocent or not. **[b]Less than 24 hours later[/b]** the ban was lifted. Oh, and he gets why the bans are so aggressive because just a couple matches in, last night, he ended up playing against a team where one of the players quit about 2 minutes into a match that was going to be a clear loss for the opponents. He felt a bit bad for the other team. Both sides made an effort to finish the match ASAP. Now, what the Bungie Ninjas wouldn’t know, is that he’s been dumped on in real-world with some pretty unfair stuff recently. Yes, it’s just a dumb game, but he really needed an example of actual fairness just now, regardless of the source. So on his behalf and mine, thanks! You helped a dad set a good example. Ps: To the rest of the Destiny community; if you get a ban that you truly believe is not your fault, do follow the appeal process. It doesn’t take long. Be polite. Be honest. Include evidence. It actually works. Pps: I tried to post this on DTG, since the Cozmo, et. al., are active there, but they are not allowing any discussion of appeals, good or bad. I understand the reasons, though I may not fully agree. But I'll respect it and post my thanks here.
English
#destiny2

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• Edited by BNGSecurity: 1/15/2020 5:02:40 PM
    We have no record of any recent reversals. Additionally, 1-week is not currently a duration for restrictions that we use. We believe this is a case of a 30-60min suspension for leaving competitive matches being mistaken for a connection-based restriction. Thank you for helping us avoid confusion regarding the appeals process. [b]EDIT: Locking this thread because folks seem to be having trouble remaining civil.[/b] There is absolutely no indication that the OP intended to lie. We've confirmed that everything about this story looks accurate, except for the difference between suspension and restriction. Please be more civil in the future.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

47 Replies
    • Bungie Security said there haven’t been any reversals lol

Posting in language:

1 Reply
      • This might sound like I'm being a jerk here, but I assure you that isn't the intention. But, if your son is disconnecting frequently enough to receive a ban, then he should be banned. Simple as that. Because intentionally or not, he is ruining the game experience for everyone unlucky enough to be matched with him. Its nothing personal, but if you are getting disconnected and screwing over your team regularly, even if it's completely outside your control, you should be removed from the equation. It's not fair to everyone else, and it is fixed as easily as that. Might be unfair to you in your eyes, but allowing you to do this to your team over and over is even less fair for them.

Posting in language:

16 Replies
        • Edited by SoliderLord: 1/15/2020 1:13:42 AM
          You're not the dad. You're the guy who got banned. Reading this was a huge waste of time. Next time, don't lag switch....... I've never got banned. Cuz i don't cheat. You get what you deserve

Posting in language:

6 Replies
          • [quote]I want to thank you for putting in the appeal process for bans. Considering the network environment, it is something that has been very much needed. Plus, you made a dad look like a hero to his son. :-) The short of it is, my son was playing Competitive Crucible on Sunday evening. He kept getting dropped from matches. He was already extremely frustrated when he got hit with a ban for comp. A *one week* ban. I did a bit of investigating. Other in-game activities were fine. Other *games* were fine. We were pinging 16ms, with an end-to-end latency in the low 30s, which isn’t bad for console. Pulling 200 down and 8-12 up, as usual. So it was pretty clear to me the issue was server side. He does know to stay out of competitive events if *we* are having (rare) connection problems. He doesn’t like screwing up his or other players’ fun. So with that, I filed an appeal on his behalf. I included screen shot evidence of what I found, as well as suggesting the review his game history. Yes, he’ll bail on a non-comp match if he’s dropped into a 4-stack pubstomp mid-match, and I don’t blame him. However, he *doesn’t* bail on competitive or Gambit and he has a play history to show it. He didn’t think Bungie would care whether he was innocent or not. **[b]Less than 24 hours later[/b]** the ban was lifted. Oh, and he gets why the bans are so aggressive because just a couple matches in, last night, he ended up playing against a team where one of the players quit about 2 minutes into a match that was going to be a clear loss for the opponents. He felt a bit bad for the other team. Both sides made an effort to finish the match ASAP. Now, what the Bungie Ninjas wouldn’t know, is that he’s been dumped on in real-world with some pretty unfair stuff recently. Yes, it’s just a dumb game, but he really needed an example of actual fairness just now, regardless of the source. So on his behalf and mine, thanks! You helped a dad set a good example. Ps: To the rest of the Destiny community; if you get a ban that you truly believe is not your fault, do follow the appeal process. It doesn’t take long. Be polite. Be honest. Include evidence. It actually works. Pps: I tried to post this on DTG, since the Cozmo, et. al., are active there, but they are not allowing any discussion of appeals, good or bad. I understand the reasons, though I may not fully agree. But I'll respect it and post my thanks here.[/quote] As per Bungie security but not as nicely as they said, you lied. Have a nice day

Posting in language:

• It seems your son got hit with lag switchers/drophackers, or possibly DDoS if your entire internet went out. Note that Crucible will auto-ban you for 30 min if you keep 'quitting' Competitive and Gambit matches (especially if a you have a high ratio of 'quitting' versus matches successfully completed, but unfortunately, the game literally cannot tell the difference between someone who 'rage-quit' versus someone who was playing against cheaters and the cheaters used a hardware or software lag switch to lag them out of the game or force-disconnected them from the match entirely, due to the nature of Destiny 2's 'hybrid peer-to-peer' network code which reveals your IP address to all other players you interact with on Destiny 2. For the sake of your home internet connection, I highly recommend subscribing to a reputable VPN service: if on console, you can either pipe your console's internet through a Windows or Mac computer with two ethernet adapters (or one ethernet and one WiFi connection, like on a laptop), using Internet Connection Sharing (or the Mac equivalent), and then run VPN software on the computer. This will also allow you to monitor network traffic to and from your console via other software like Wireshark and Net Limiter (the latter which is popular for lag switchers and drophackers). The alternative is to purchase a VPN-ready router with custom firmware pre-flashed onto the router, from vendors like flashrouters.com. While all this will not prevent lag switchers, drophackers, it will protect your home internet from being repeatedly disconnected by sore losers who may attempt DDoS attacks (Distributed Denial of Service) when they lose in the game (DDoS attacks are considered federal cyber crimes and investigated by the FBI and Europol, but that hasn't really stopped cheaters from doing it, or from criminals offering DDoS-for-hire 'booter'/'stresser' sites). More info here: https://www.pcgamer.com/the-strange-science-of-destiny-2s-uniquely-complicated-netcode/ https://venturebeat.com/2018/05/13/why-the-game-industry-is-still-vulnerable-to-distributed-denial-of-service-attacks/ https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/355113-bungies-response-destiny-2s-ddos-attacks-angered-community https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/20/fbi-ddos-booter-sites-offline/ https://www.forbes.com/sites/leemathews/2019/01/29/law-enforcement-agencies-are-going-after-hundreds-of-ddos-users/ https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/game/use-vpn-ps4-3670694/ https://www.windowscentral.com/use-vpn-xbox-one https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/feds-warn-ddos-attack-vulnerability-connected-medical-devices https://www.techradar.com/vpn/best-gaming-vpn

Posting in language:

1 Reply
            • BungLe called you a liar. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Posting in language:

• He's a Trump supporter so is used to fake news

Posting in language:

• YOU.GOT.CAUGHT!!!!

Posting in language:

• lol, you do realize that 99.99 % of ban appeals will be from guilty parties....dont be nieve

Posting in language:

7 Replies
                I'll still chuck this as a good story, not a bad read even if it's maybe fanfic.

Posting in language:

• I like how all these people who otherwise do not believe anything Bungie ever say, would believe people employed by Bungie. ;) It's not like people haven't been unfairly banned before *cough* my one-week Crucible ban at the end of D1 for 'network issues' *cough*. ;P There's this assumption of infallibility regarding the SRT, despite no actual evidence posted that would prove the OP was mistaken or lying, so we're forced to take a Bungie employee's word for it. I somehow doubt the SRT are allowed to post said evidence in the thread, even if they wanted to, so again, there's no independently verifiable proof one way or another. It's not like Bungie haven't ever made a mistake before, as evidenced by the nerfing of XP, the 0.04 buff to ARs... not using dedicated servers... (the list goes on). ;P Indeed, Bungie themselves were forced to overturn a few bans and admit to it, not that long ago: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-26-bungie-reverses-bans-handed-out-in-error But sure, Bungie can do no wrong. *heavy sarcasm*

Posting in language:

1 Reply
                • Lol its cringe. Dahell ive just read.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
                  • that's what's up. kudos man

Posting in language:

• as a wise man once said "shut the -blam!- up, boomer"

Posting in language:

3 Replies
                    • Next thing on your list is to learn how to use inverted commas correctly. Go get em champ.

Posting in language:

4 Replies
                      • So, basicly this was a lie?

Posting in language:

• *bullshit*cough*bullshit*

Posting in language:

• Lies! D:

Posting in language:

• Lol busted

Posting in language:

• That ping is only to a local Xbox server so it will always look good. Your ping to other players will be much higher the further away they are. And your speed numbers are almost irrelevant too, Destiny hits a max of around 700kbps, thats less than one meg. If you're disconnecting a lot there may be other problems with your line that most games, streaming movies etc. will not show. My advice (as someone who has worked in networking and for the US' largest provider) is to contact your ISP and ask them to run tests on your line, a normal speedtest won't show you much. You may be getting a lot of micro-disconnections that aren't otherwise a problem for other games, the problem with Destiny is it requires a constant connection to not only the Destiny account servers (where your characters, their stuff and all your stats are stored) as well as other players in the game. Its not an ideal system to be honest but thats down to Bungie's insistance on sticking with this bastardized P2P networking model. All you can do is ensure you are doing everything you can to sort out your side. Look into Portforwarding, and avoid Wifi like the plague! Use an ethernet cable for better results. Good luck.

Posting in language:

• 🤡🤡🤡🤡

Posting in language:

• Whilst it’s fair that the ban is overturned for Bungie’s ancient P2P system You’re in the 5% of players whom appeal that are innocent, banned through no fault of your own doing 👍 The other 95-% - well they’re just cheating mo’fo’s trying to get unbanned 😆

Posting in language:

2 Replies
                        • Edited by Seraphim Crypto: 1/14/2020 8:31:21 PM
                          [Quote]Now, what the Bungie Ninjas wouldn’t know, is that he’s been dumped on in real-world with some pretty unfair stuff recently. Yes, it’s just a dumb game, but he really needed an example of actual fairness just now, regardless of the source.[/quote] If there's any shining example he should look up to, it's a dad like you. Stick together and you'll work through everything. By the way, I'm not exactly sure why you mentioned us Ninjas explicitly, but just in case I wanted to mention that we Ninjas are not responsible for any in-game bans, appeals or lifting of bans. That credit solely goes to Bungie and the Game Security Team. We Ninjas just moderate the forum, otherwise we're just normal people. [Spoiler]Unless you meant Bungie with Ninjas, then ignore this.[/spoiler]

Posting in language:

5 Replies
                          • Oh Luke Smith, you cant trick us.

Posting in language:

4 Replies
                            • The problem with all that is, Bungie should have been able to determine the situation and not issued a ban in the first place. They've always maintained that they do thorough investigations being a ban is issued. Tl;dr: If a ban IS going to be overturned, it should have never been issued.

Posting in language:

6 Replies
                              You are not allowed to view this content.
                              ;
                              preload icon
                              preload icon
                              preload icon