JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Destiny 2

Discuss all things Destiny 2.
Edited by Synocracy: 1/15/2020 12:00:48 AM

Why isn't Destiny dark and mysterious anymore?

When I start up Destiny 1 the twinkly atmospheric theme, the imagery, the feel, all of it was so dark, mysterious, and Magical. It seems so exciting. I'm immediately wanting to explore and uncover secrets. The dreaming city was the closest thing to this yet. Edit: the definition of “dark” in video games is subjective. The base degree of darkness needed to pass as “dark” is also subjective. To those commenting “destiny has never been dark” - c’mon you know what I mean.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• This is why menagerie is fun and sundial is not fun.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• Literally Darkness in the Dark Pyramid. A dark mirror image of yourself. It's great.

Posting in language:

• Hmmm....D2 is definitely mysterious. Whisper, Zero Hour, Corridors of TIme, Niobe Labs, exploring forgotten areas for the first time, the Ascendant Challenges, Dreaming City. Forsaken was dark. Most of year 2 was dark. Even bits and pieces of Warmind had dark undertones. Also that feeling of mystery goes away every now and then when something has been out for a while. Completely natural. Bungie will bring it back in, they always do.

Posting in language:

• Because D2 is a sellout, commercialized, Battle Pass selling realism. D1 through all its issues, didn’t have nearly this many controversies and greedy tactics.

Posting in language:

• I think that's a side effect of there being more of a fleshed out world in D2. For the whole first year of D1's life cycle, we got most of the background information from online grimouire cards, item descriptions and little bits of tower banter. Even with The Taken King and Rise of Iron, we didn't get nearly as much accessible info as we do now. Now we've got in game lore, NPCs talking throughout strikes, etc.

Posting in language:

• Cause it's been 5 years and after several managing and lead director changes, the charm has diluted xD

Posting in language:

• 2 examples: “Switch off!” and “Kindly delete yourself” 😐

Posting in language:

• Tonal confusion because they fired the majority of the original writers

Posting in language:

• Makes the Millennials to upset. They are running out of hot coco and coloring books to feel safe again. 🤪

Posting in language:

2 Replies
    • Because they need to appeal to the masses to maximise profit.

Posting in language:

• I definitely know what you mean. You can also see the difference in the way D1 trailers were done as opposed to D2 trailers. The "mystery" gave the game a vibe it has lost since and getting it back would definitely improve the game overall.

Posting in language:

• Edited by GrizzlyFinn: 1/16/2020 2:18:22 PM
      More or less all of Destiny's written lore has been in that 'dark' tone. All lore entries on collections and guns/armor always leave me with a sense of gravitas/serious weight that you refer to on the written narrative. Almost none of that has never been present for me in the in-game gameplay. For me destiny's story is the written lore and it's amazing. Has been and still is. The gameplay is just fun arcade shoot 'em up. When I want narrative I start reading. It's not for everyone but I like it.

Posting in language:

• Edited by GameKingMike333: 1/15/2020 6:31:31 PM
      Did you came accros an strike that got pitch black Well there is 1 strike that has it And god what do i miss that one in D2 Ment to be an copy from Doom 1 end boss Hiveknight in an pitch black room full with guardians with nothing to see XD That was an good strike thats was the darkest thing i saw in Destiny so far I can't remember the name but its still there i'll look it up later You should try that one and tell me that destiny didnt go dark >.< -Edit- Found the strikes name you can do The Sunless Cell Good luck in the dark

Posting in language:

• When was it ever dark and mysterious? I always remember it being a cheesy game with a terrible story where we run around and shoot aliens we don’t know or care about while an unfunny and annoying robot talks to us.

Posting in language:

• The problem is mainly the change in graphics and general art design. In d1, there was a focus on smaller details and lighting. I also think that the general silhouettes of the guardians were more human and realistic, if that makes any sense. With d2, while the graphics are dazzling at a glance, and the backgrounds are fantastical and seem freshly war-ravaged... there is a sort of cartoony vibe that everything gives off, from the guardians to the enemies. D2 is dark thematically, but visually it is not quite as believable imo, with its intense color saturation and exaggerated class differences in stance and silhouette. Couple this with the less serious dialogue and the general light-hearted take on the enemies which are often seen almost as more of an annoyance than a threat, despite the obvious dangers that each enemy faction poses, and you’ve got a game where things are more “entertaining” than believable, threatening, or foreboding. TLDR: in my opinion, d1 has a more realistic and believable art design, with subtle details making all the difference. D2 has a cartoony feel for reasons which can be summed up with the word “exaggeration”.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
      • Because the story draaaaaaaags. There's always a huge setup and mystery. Then a year later we get a baby carrot with not much of an answer. They need more story. We get desensitized to it and it loses the mystery when it's finally revealed.

Posting in language:

• Edited by Corrick II: 1/16/2020 1:14:08 AM
        This might sound strange but honestly I think it’s because the current narrative has outstayed its welcome. You can only maintain the set up to a mystery and keep teasing it for so long. Unless you solve it and introduce new mysteries, you basically become fatigued by the same narrative threads that go unresolved forever, until you start feeling like the game is just going nowhere and nothing actually matters. We’ve been asking the same questions for five years, and while we’ve dealt with side mysteries and enemies during that time, they’ve all been easily put down in the time it takes to ask “was that it?” That’s where most people are today. The story has ceased to be a compelling, mysterious force driving us and now all we care about is getting our next loot fix, and sadly Bungie seems just fine with maintaining that particular status quo.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
        • Edited by TheWanderer17: 1/15/2020 11:18:32 PM
          Cause we keep slaying these impossible to defeat enemies. .... last I checked since we came to be a guardian we havent lost, but for a single red legion moment. Even that was quickly corrected. Sure Cayde fell, but that was one personal friendship, overall it wasnt much of a impact to our system as a whole. The speaker fell, but there is no great chaos around us, it all continues as normal. Imo to get that feel back, we need to be crushed. Not for a single short arc, but for a year straight followed by a slow winding path back, not to over come, but struggle to maintain. Right now we have no purpose. Most of Destiny 2 has felt this way. Just sitting and waiting for filler events and reasons to do something, but of no real consequence.

Posting in language:

2 Replies
          • I think the real question is, why doesn't destiny have good content anymore?

Posting in language:

1 Reply
            • chocolate ghosts broom sparrows halloween masks snowballs baking...

Posting in language:

• It [i][b]is[/b][/i] dark and moody. It's very mysterious and also cryptic. I mean if you don't like it then you don't like it. It's whatever 🤙🏻

Posting in language:

• Ponder on "WHO"!! Is in the Coffin. It begins to get dark fast.

Posting in language:

• The human race is on the verge of extinction. Ghaul killed the speaker. Uldren ran a prison break to form a gang and killed cayde6. We just went back to the moon for the first time and the hive have built strong holds everywhere. I wish i had a clue as to how you think d1 is darker than this.

Posting in language:

14 Replies
              • Desensitization?

Posting in language:

• Just like dating everything get old sooner or later

Posting in language:

• Yesssss, especially with the Dreadnaught

Posting in language:

You are not allowed to view this content.
              ;
              preload icon
              preload icon
              preload icon