JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Forums

11/2/2019 12:33:32 AM
Wes
Wes

One phased the Concecrated Mind with it yesterday. 4 Whispers. 1 Izanagi's and 1 Divinity. If you get your entire reserves off, it does almost 50% more overall damage than Izanagi's. It's fine. You guys are just all "DPS DPS" and YouTube. Pathetic.
English

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• dps matters. thats why everyone talks about it. dropping enemies as fast as possible is always important in a gun fight

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

And total damage doesn't matter?

Posting in language:

• Edited by Archer88222: 11/2/2019 6:38:24 AM
    Total damage is great as long as you have enough time to get all of the shots off. What people are saying when referring to DPS is that they are referring the most optimal burst damage over a set period of time. In simple terms: how quickly you can push out damage on to a target that absolutely MUST die. Example: there is a huge difference between killing a boss by hitting it hard over 10 seconds with whisper dps and killing it in 7 seconds using a higher dps loadout like firing line/anarchy combo. The point of dps is to always be doing damage, even if you need to take a moment to reload, readjust your aim, etc. because any second you are not dealing damage is a net loss to your dps and by extension, damage done. Same goes if the boss is already dead because everyone else in the fireteam got their damage off on the boss before you got your large single shot off. It cuts into the amount of damage per second you deal to the boss. If the damage done per shot were the only thing that was important, sleeper stimulant would automatically be the best weapon for damaging bosses right now. Therefore, dps isn’t about how much damage you are doing, it’s about how quickly what you need to kill will die. It’s a very small differentiation, especially since dps and damage done go hand in hand, but it is a somewhat important distinction if you are looking to min/max your loadout. Not saying what you are doing is wrong or that you are wrong, but often times, higher dps = higher total damage.

Posting in language:

I'm very well aware what the difference between total damage and DPS is. At the end of the day, for damage phases that are long enough to allow for all of Whisper's reserves to be shot (Like both bosses in GoS), it does more overall damage than Izanagi's. Lower DPS, but more damage overall due to more reserves. Period. People just mindlessly follow DPS charts and YouTube and consider everything else to be garbage, and that just isn't true.

Posting in language:

• also if there is an immune mechanic (every -blam!-ing enemy now) the more dmg in less time is way more valuable. Beating that -blam!-ing immune mechanic is a great feeling.lol

Posting in language:

• Not if the boss is already dead

Posting in language:

Boss dies either way. And if you only run high DPS weapons that don't have the reserves to last for a full damage phase, boss won't die anyways.

Posting in language:

• are you say whisper has a good amount of reserves. thats funny. if the game dropped more heavy or synths then maybe whisper would be okay. having to save ammo for boss fights is getting a little old anyways

Posting in language:

Whisper has enough reserves to pump out a lot of damage across an entire DPS phase. It's 50% more damage than Izanagi's can do alone. I don't think it needs more. It has plenty. Saving up heavy is old though. No arguements there.

Posting in language:

• gotta say thats what i miss the most was being able to use it through out what ever activity, no other heavy has that. i think that made it more valuable then the dps ever did

Posting in language:

That's true. Even now Whisper is still a very safe and consistent damage option. It's not meant to be anything more than that. When it had infinite ammo there was kinda no reason not to use it. Let's be real.

Posting in language:

• I mean they will unless your whole team is just missing all of their shots. With Izanagi’s you have that and a grenade launcher, the boss will 100% be dead if you’re hitting your shots and your team is hitting theirs.

Posting in language:

So 6 Izanagi's and a grenade launcher? That is exactly my point. People are mindless sheep that follow YouTube and that's about it. Just because a gun doesn't fit that mindless mold doesn't mean it's bad.

Posting in language:

• I never said Whisper is bad but higher DPS, when you’ll kill the boss regardless the difference in total damage, is objectively better. You don’t have to run it if you don’t want to, but don’t try to act like it’s the best set in the game. It is viable. It is effective. There is still better. People listen to YouTubers because they present the facts. People don’t listen to you because you are presenting merely a charged opinion.

Posting in language:

• Edited by Wes: 11/2/2019 6:58:55 PM
    I have literally never said Whisper is better as a overall weapon or Whisper is the best there is. Not a single time. All I've said is it isn't garbage. But YouTube doesn't say that, so they don't use it. That's my point.

Posting in language:

• Nobody on YouTube says Whisper is bad. Every video I’ve watched praises Whisper as a great alternative because of the reasons you’ve listed.

Posting in language:

You're right. But do people like this OP interpret it like that? Absolutely not. He's saying it's not even worth it's heavy slot or even it's exotic status. Want proof? Go LFG raids. Never take off Whisper. They may not voice their opinion, but there will be someone, if not more, in every group that judges you for not using the highest DPS loadout. Happened with Riven. Happened with Scourge. Happened with Heroic Menagerie. Even happened for Reckoning. And it happens now.

Posting in language:

• The majority of people will use and will want others to use the best weapons, especially in LFG, because they want the best chances at success. Although many people will say must have X, that does not necessarily mean they think Y is a bad weapon, they just think X is better and will increase their odds of success. This will happen even without YouTubers but what’s best would be less clear. Groups of friends would tell each other what’s best and what’s not. Still happens all the time. Play a raid with friends or acquaintances and almost no one would mention or even care to mention what weapons people are using unless something is clearly wrong. People have a lower sense of trust in others players that they don’t know to do good and so try to compensate by having only “the best” equipped. It is not as simple as they think the other guns are completely and utterly useless.

Posting in language:

But does X being the best justify saying Y is so bad it isn't worth the slot it's in or even it's status as an exotic? Definitely not. That's my entire point.

Posting in language:

• I mean that wasn’t what your point was really leading to but yes that is a statement that should be true.

Posting in language:

My oringinal post in response to the OP said it was fine as is rather than being so bad it was undeserving of the exotic heavy slot. Little bit of disconnect there I guess.

Posting in language:

You are not allowed to view this content.
;
preload icon
preload icon
preload icon