JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Destiny 2

Discuss all things Destiny 2.
9/9/2019 9:02:40 PM

Nostalgia moment: Raids in public spaces

To all of the Guardians who played D1, who remembers stumbling across fireteams opening the door to the Vault of Glass? Did you stand back and watch? Did you leap in and lend a hand? Did you simply move on because you weren’t interested or didn’t know what was happening? I remember the few times this happened, from both sides of the instance; being on the Raid team or stumbling across a team. It was such an interesting experience and I enjoyed it every time. I would really like it if Bungie could do that again with a raid or two. It certainly made the Vault of Glass experience feel like an event that is truly happening in the game universe.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• It was a lot of fun. I'd pull out a shotty and go on Minotaur duty. Or help out on a plate. Loved it when the fireteam would stop at the door and wave as they headed in. "God speed brothers, tell that Templar I said hey as you put a boot up his rear end."

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• I remember meeting a team that was 5 manning it and I rushed over to help ,In the end each of them gathered around me and began to dance ,It was so heartwarming They then asked if I wanted to join them so I figured “Screw it ,Why not” Don’t remember anything spectacular loot wise but I do remember how much fun it was to play ,as they’d already been keen of me to start and were very cool ,They all knew each other but welcomed me with open arms Good times :)

Posting in language:

• Shit I miss how helpful guardians were in D1. Everyone in D2 is just toxic and has to have 10+ clears and the raid just came out that day 😂

Posting in language:

• Escalation Protocol had the same vibes when it first launched. Trying to get 9 people in a zone. Get invited to join a party to hear everyone quiet up before you get asked “Hey, can you help us get EP going?” And the eruption of excitement when you say “Yea, who do I invite?”. Didn’t mind that I wasn’t using a mic ‘cuz it wasn’t needed. It was fun. Sucked the few weeks everyone was underleveled and couldn’t do it. People would use underleveled Guardians just to get their friends in. Kick the underleveled guy out once they were set. Bring in their 9th. That was lame. The Community Event was fun too. Fly into a zone with one going on. Get a couple Level 7s done. Use Code of the Missile because you didn’t need the crazy dps. Just flying head first into a Giant Hive Knight over and over again. Fun

Posting in language:

1 Reply
    • I recall something about Forsaken was supposed to have a similar occurrence, but here we are, another “if you see it, you can go there” moment from Bungie. If they’d stop overselling their game, it would be nice.

Posting in language:

• Every time I came across a team trying to open the door I stopped and helped. Every single time. I loved seeing the door open and seeing the team journey down into the Vault. Also, if that team was ever shorthanded it led to invites more often than not. I have zero idea why that got turned off.

Posting in language:

• We always loved celebrating with that random lvl 5 who would would wonder by and shoot the minotaurs doing no damage. Thanks buddy, we appreciate the help anyway. Welcome to Destiny!

Posting in language:

1 Reply
      • I thought it was pretty cool, but let’s be honest. Did anyone actually stop and help? Never happened when I was there and nobody really did patrols on Venus, especially not that far from spawn.

Posting in language:

24 Replies
        • Edited by bigcorry: 9/10/2019 10:07:38 PM
          That part of the game is so emblematic of what destiny should be about that it is disheartening that it's really not done far more by this point. I was expecting it from the series, because not only is it in the game up to that point but they talked up that aspect a lot. Even if it meant just watching people jump into a hole it was still disappointing to not see it return. It's still not and that's an incredible shame. People coming together naturally and tackling a challenge is always fun. Also granted I haven't bought into anything past warmind so yeah.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
          • I remember going to spite entrance to help people kill praetorians! Was really dope, then wave them good luck in the vault.

Posting in language:

• Ah, bittersweet memories 😄...i used to help them out, just because 🤷🏼 And have had a few guardians run over to help my team when we were running the raid 🤘

Posting in language:

• I would always help if I saw a team opening the Vault. I remember the first time I had a blueberry appear while my team was doing it. We were so confused. ...I miss Vault of Glass, and all of the other raids from D1 (not King's Fall as much as the others). With all of the other recycled content, it would be nice if Bungie just brought D1 entirely into D2, like how White Knight Chronicles was updated and packaged with its sequel.

Posting in language:

4 Replies
            • Yup. I would sit back with my Icebreaker and help them out. Was such a cool part of D1.

Posting in language:

• I’ve never been big on raids, but I always stopped to help them open it. It was fun to do so. It would be cool to see another situation like that. VoG is still my favorite one so far to date. I haven’t done all the D2 raids though. The concept and story behind Last Wish is great, but the mechanics are painfully convoluted and I don’t find it fun. I have yet to join a team that actually finishes it. I’d like to complete it once eventually though.

Posting in language:

3 Replies
              • This would be pretty awsome to have come back in some fashion. Definitely agree!

Posting in language:

• this so much

Posting in language:

• I still have d1 and i still doing some activities, it's sad that a 2014 game has a better gameplay,raid and weapons than a 2017 games. Good memories of VoG

Posting in language:

• It was par for the course to help out if one was nearby, and not just for that particular instance. We all knew what was going on, and, once done, a cheery wave or an invite usually followed. In D2F, I always lend a hand in any open event, unless I’m on a tight schedule...and after my ‘assistance’ is done with, near enough 95% of those I was assisting never bother to wave a ‘cheers!’ for your help. It doesn’t stop me helping others, it’s just very different from my D1Y1 experience. Just my 2d worth. YMMV. Cheers! MDGA

Posting in language:

• How exactly did this work? Did you just help them open the doors and that was it, or could you go in with them? I never got to see anyone doing the raid as I was going by, but would've definitely helped.

Posting in language:

2 Replies
                • Helped out a few. Got a few invites too. Was nice.

Posting in language:

• Pepperidge Farm rememberers!

Posting in language:

• By all the comments here, it looks like everyone really loved being able to see people start a raid and even help/find canmates that way. I wish Bungie would make that possible again.

Posting in language:

3 Replies
                  • I remember just jumping into a VoG run with 5 not wanting to wait in orbit for a 6th. Random blueberry stands next to me on a plate, and helps raise the spire. He was invited soon after the door opened, and we helped him clear for the first time. Oh the memories.

Posting in language:

• I remember Vault being the only way to 6 man patrol

Posting in language:

• Edited by Golden: 9/11/2019 2:17:15 AM
                    I remember, it was so fun. I was like level 20 doing my own thing and I saw a bunch of people doing stuff in spires. Even though I literally was dealing 0 damage cause the enemies had that ? Thing on them. It felt nice for a rando like me to help some gods at the time do the spire part lmao.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
                    • It was cool but they did explain why they won't do it again. Here is a video from *gasp* Datto that goes over 16 stories from the Vault of Glasses development. These stories are from Luke Smith and his team from a charity livestream from a few years ago. The main reason: Xbox 360 and PS3 hardware made it difficult to have raid openings in a public space due to hardware and even on the PS4 and X1 they weren't able to have public events or anything else in that load zone. They decided they would rather dedicate those resources to content within the raid itself.

Posting in language:

5 Replies
                      You are not allowed to view this content.
                      ;
                      preload icon
                      preload icon
                      preload icon