Destiny 2

Discuss all things Destiny 2.
8/13/2019 5:13:11 PM
dmg04

Director's Cut: Part 1

English
#destiny2

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

View Entire Topic
  • I think I finally see the flaw (at least from my perspective), in game difficulty. I have been puzzling over the right way to convey this since Solstice started. I want to feel powerful. I want to be able to take advantage of my intelligence. I don't mind if some things are a little hard, but I never want to be kicked back to orbit 3 or more times for attempting to solo content Bungie intended me to play with 'buddies' (I will play solo or matchmade, nothing else ever). Today I was listening to a youtuber read the full directors cut from Luke and I see the bit of logic in game design that I 100% disagree with. In talking about adjusting for people being like 'Gods' with the Phoenix Protocol Armor and nearly un ending Wells of Radiance and some special team Luke has to find (and kill) those too favorable game mechanics, or adjust the difficulty to combat them, I finally understood why I was so unhappy with the state of the game. DO NOT TRY TO ADJUST GAME DIFFICULTY FOR THOSE PEOPLE who use the whatever the 'Phoenix Protocol' of the moment is. Just let them win that way if that is what they want. By calibrating to THOSE players, you force ALL OF US TO USE THE VERY GEAR YOUR UNHAPPY WITH. Or suffer an imbalanced game that is NO FUN! I would way rather a few people used cheesy methods to win things, then for you to lock the game down so tight that I have NO FUN PLAYING. Personally, I decided that the Phoenix Protocol armor was not for me. I scrapped it. Why? Because I do not like the playing the way that gear would have me play (it's sad too, because its one of the very very few pieces of warlock armor I actually mostly like the look of).I am not a 'meta' player. I might look to see what the meta is to inform a better understanding of all the hidden game mechanics, but the only reason you might find me using 'meta' gear would be if I coincidentally found that I loved a piece of what people decided was meta. By calibrating the game difficulty to the 'best' possible gear (or most OP gear), you do a great disservice to players that just want to figure the game out for themselves. The game is automatically going to be too hard (for people not using the OP gear/setup config)!! I want to use the gear I like, gear that makes me feel powerful yes, but also gear that interferes with my freedom of intuitive movement and combat as little as possible. Traction on Boots is a perfect example. Traction should never have been made necessary. It should be an innate quality of ALL BOOTS. Do not take intuitive control away from us just to give it back to us later as a 'perk'. My favorite things in Destiny DO NOT come from 'difficult' to complete content. There MIGHT be some difficulty in the things I liked best about Destiny, but it sure as hell was not the difficulty I liked about those things. By thinking of the game in terms of difficulty and 'preventing' players from doing things 'to easily' you transform the ENTIRE game into a FRUSTRATION ENGINE. Just let go. Build for the main capability of players and just let the outliers run off and be cheese gods if they want. It does not matter to the rest of us. And the players that whine (or is it brag) about the game being 'too easy'? Let those people challenge themselves by adding difficulty modifiers. If that doesn't satisfy them? Then maybe the 'difficulty' those players want doesn't really serve the best interests of the game and it's players.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

1 2
You are not allowed to view this content.
;
preload icon
preload icon
preload icon