JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Destiny 2

Discuss all things Destiny 2.
7/12/2019 2:28:52 AM

The reckoning is terrible

I’ve been grinding the reckoning for a while trying to get a notorious helmet for the moments of triumph triumph. While I was driving myself crazy with this grind I thought about the difference between the reckoning and the menagerie, and why I thought that the menagerie was fun while the reckoning made me want to die. I believe that the menagerie has (had) 2 things that makes it a much more fun experience. 1.) the menagerie has forgiveness for blunders. In the reckoning if you make a mistake you have to start the whole thing over which is torture, especially if you have been doing it for a while 2.) the menagerie has much better and much more reliable loot. While the final chess fix made the loot less reliable (by that I mean a larger chance to get the exact item that you were pursuing) it still is relatively reliable and that makes it feel much better than the reckoning. I can struggle for around 15 minutes in the reckoning and get gear that I already had rendering that time worthless and forcing me to restart the reckoning spending more and more time attempting to the that helmet that I need where in the menagerie I can just enter the ruins and have a decent chance in getting the item that I wanted.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• Edited by RedskinsWarpath: 7/16/2019 1:24:21 PM
    My only true issue with Reckoning is the piss poor rate for loot drops. The juice is not worth the squeeze.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• I don’t even touch it including my Clan

Posting in language:

• What's the reckoning? Never heard of her

Posting in language:

• First time in tier 3 with randoms I made it through no problem. Pay attention to modifiers have the right weapons and super and stick with your team. So tired of ppl complaining about reckoning when it's easy as -blam!-. So if you cannot complete it then it's your skill not the damn game mode

Posting in language:

1 Reply
    • The Menagerie and The Reckoning are the result of two polar opposite design philosophies. The Menagerie is designed to be fun and rewarding. It designed to be in-line with the "power-fantasy" (wish to feel powerful) that drives most loot games and appeals to most loot-based RPG gamers. Its "challenge" comes from **mastery** of the content over time. (How fast and efficiently can you eventually come to running it.) Its why its been so widely praised by the community. The Reckoning is designed to be PUNISHING. It derives its difficulty from making the player feel weak (both in terms of damage done and number of enemies thrown at the player). Its designed to be very narrow in scope. That is there are very few ways to approach the content that offer a good likelihood of success. Its designed to punish failure harshly. Then the problem is compounded by the activity not being very rewarding in terms of loot either. Challenge is all about surviival....not mastery. Odds are----unless you are into Dark Souls games----you're not going to find The Reckoning very fun to play. Part of the problem with Destiny 2 has been the community wants more content like The Menagerie, but there is a contingent at Bungie that is hell-bent on pushing content like The Reckoning....and when ever they do, the community kind of stiff arms it. But the devs don't take the hint....and they just keep coming back with it.

Posting in language:

45 Replies
      • I actually like the Reckoning now. If you have Orpheus and Bad JuJu equipped it’s just like before but now you feel like you’ve earned your super back instead of cheesing it.

Posting in language:

• This is what happens when you nerf the exotics that were required for Reckoning.

Posting in language:

• Edited by El Senior Fats: 7/14/2019 12:04:58 PM
        Point 1 is the main difference, Reckoning is quicker in general than menagerie (and easier mechanic-wise), however, the design allows for little room for error. Implement the same kind of punishment in the menagerie and I can guarantee you wont enjoy is as much. I mean, imagine menagerie, failing to complete the timer or one small mistake, and you have to start all over again? Reckoning was design to be challenging for everyone, menagerie was design to be completed no matter what, and then the introduce the heroic version for those who want to challenge themselves. And bear in mind that reckoning mechanics are ridiculously easy, I mean, couldnt get any simpler, what makes it difficult is the bridge and the stomp mechanics in combination with the snipers, if you take the timer out for instance the encounter would be dead easy. I havent played reckoning in a while, mostly because I know I either need to go with my well or I need to hope to find a half decent team to complete it. Menagerie, just jump in and you know you will complete it. How many reckoning runs have you failed and how many menagerie (non heroic) runs have you failed?

Posting in language:

3 Replies
        • I REALLY enjoyed the first level of reckoning, my first time playing it all I could think was "holy shit this game mode is so -blam!-ing fun and cool" I had just gotten Thorn and was just running through it having a blast. Then I played tier 2 and realized how annoying it can be, I haven't even tried tier 3 yet, but if it's worse than 2 I can see why you would have some complaints.

Posting in language:

2 Replies
          • Edited by LadiesTees: 7/14/2019 2:11:21 PM
            Easily the most unrewarding activity in the history of Destiny

Posting in language:

• Agreed. Reckoning is shit mode

Posting in language:

• It's the stomp mechanic on the bridge. It's an utterly absurd and lazy game mechanic. We've be able to slay [b]multiple[/b] ostensibly immortal gods but some random yellow bar can effectively one-hit-kill us by stomping the ground? And this slam is so powerful that it's generating enough force to send us flying for hundreds of meters but doesn't alter the ground at all? It's some sort of magic force that somehow only acts on things perpendicular to its path? Reckoning lobbies would double overnight if Bungie removed stomp. Same goes for the push mechanic (E.g., ogre in ST, Sedia) and that stupid cabal shield slam.

Posting in language:

46 Replies
            • I will agree with some of these. I like the reckoning, but I want to have more guaranteed weapon drops. Also, this activity really highlights how under powered Titans are in PvE

Posting in language:

3 Replies
              • finally after so many runs f reckoning...

Posting in language:

• 300 tier 3 reckoning a in the first 3 weeks of release trying for the spare rations. F reckoning.

Posting in language:

• Edited by BigMoistPizza: 7/13/2019 4:08:53 AM
                They need to implement the chalice system into your mote synthesizer so you can pick what loot drops for you

Posting in language:

1 Reply
                • I've only completed a lvl 3 encounter ONCE and that was pre Orpheus Rig Nerf. Every other time I've tried to run something higher than lvl 1, I get the most incompetent sons of -blam!- that ever popped out of their mommas.

Posting in language:

• Reckoning is certainly a challenge, but it can get brutal at times. I guess you have to have the right modifiers in effect.

Posting in language:

• The Menagerie isn't forgiving it's guaranteed success in the matchmade version....it's actually really boring IMO. Reckoning is so much better because you can fail if you're not organized. There can't be to many activities with guaranteed loot, you would have zero reason to play that activity plus the item your after is guaranteed. We has an entire season of Reckoning and you didn't build a set? Wait for a heavy weight day all your frustration will go away.

Posting in language:

12 Replies
                  • till two days ago i had only two pieces of tier 3 armor, i gave up getting any a while ago, but seeing the triumph made me go back into it. I went in solo and found it to be pretty easy and straight forward, yeah the stomp mechanic is a bit annoying, however i'm kind of shocked because its easy to melt the bridge ultras as they spawn so i don't get the huge amount of complaining, plus its a lot quicker to clear than menagerie

Posting in language:

• Agreed. It's really difficult for subpar gear.

Posting in language:

• This whole annual pass kinda feels like Bungie experimenting with different endgame models to see where they want to steer thing moving forward. My vote is that Menagerie is the way to go, it's the most accessible and rewarding activity Destiny has had since Prison of Elders. Better for the community at large.

Posting in language:

• Isn’t the helmets from the bounty from the drifter?

Posting in language:

3 Replies
                    • The menagerie is a cake walk. No last encounter timers, two more players, nothing tied to errors (Unless you count the triumphs) Reckoning is hard and it should be. Just don't go in on the black out days.

Posting in language:

5 Replies
                      • I have a solution to the Reckoning! Check link above /\

Posting in language:

1 Reply
                        • You get the helmet from drifter bounty

Posting in language:

6 Replies
                          You are not allowed to view this content.
                          ;
                          preload icon
                          preload icon
                          preload icon