JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Forums

originally posted in: Is Crucible fun?
2/16/2019 11:36:24 PM
Might as well ask: "Is getting DDoSed fun?" :P
English

Posting in language:

Cancel Edit Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Create Fireteam Post

• I’ve only been Ddosed once on console and it was by a random LFG dude who I called out on his stats for being Sketchy before I joined their fireteam. I’ve been ddossed once on PC. Sadly they were dominating us in comp and they decided to cheat still. All of our internet’s went down. 2 times total in my 4 years here. But my point is, y’all make it seem like you get ddosed every other game

Posting in language:

Cancel Edit Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Create Fireteam Post

• I’ve yet to be DDossed, and I’ve got a luna’s howl so it’s not like I don’t play that often. Is it more common on PC?

Posting in language:

• It's just as prevalent on Xbox, because it's easy enough to do if one has some very basic internet and computer skills... and a Bitcoin wallet or even PayPal. Because of a lack of dedicated servers for Destiny 1 and 2, it's a rather easy thing to pipe one's internet access to a console via an ethernet connection to a laptop, which serves as both VPN router, network analyzer (which can show which IP addresses are connected to your console during a match), while also allowing for quick access to a 'stress testing' website, ostensibly for the purposes of stress testing one's website but really just being used by DDoSers to boot people offline, killing people's home internet access for minutes, even hours at a time, all for a very low price. I mean, I'm no hacker but it didn't take me a lot of internet searching to find detailed YouTube videos, blog posts, etc. which have step-by-step instructions on how to do it myself, if I were the type of unscrupulous individual who can't handle losing in a video game and thus feels the need to commit a federal cybercrime just to 'win'. ;) It doesn't even require kiddie scripting tools to do anymore, not when there are entire websites that offer an all-in-one DDoS service to any and all willing to pay. Craig Labovitz, CTO at Nokia Deepfield (a company dedicated to studying and trying to reduce DDoS attacks) has stated that up to 10% of DDoS attacks are solely FPS players on console, trying to boot each other offline, and DDoS statistics on the internet bear that out: Gaming is the number one target for DDoSing, vastly outpacing any other industry operating online. [quote] "GamesBeat: We haven’t talked much about platforms yet, but are we talking about consoles or PC or even mobile? I know that on mobile now, the fast interaction has been very important for games like Clash Royale or Arena of Glory. These are multiplayer team games. They seem to be very sensitive to latency problems. If they’re getting attacked, is that another layer to the problem? [Craig] Labovitz [CTO, Nokia Deepfield]: [b]There are definitely attacks there. I think most of the issues we see and hear about from our game customers and carrier customers are more the first-person shooters. We see a ton of — it’s just constant. At any given time for some networks, as much as five or 10 percent of traffic is just people with Xboxes or other console games trying to block someone else.[/b] When we talk about DDoS with respect to gaming, there are two types of attacks. One is you’re specifically targeting another consumer, trying to knock them off, knock their IP address off. The other is you might have monetary incentives. You might go after one of the main game companies and attack their servers. We see both of those. Less frequent, though they happen on a regular basis, are the attacks against servers. [b]But we do see a constant, never stopping wave of gamers attacking each other for whatever motives.[/b] GamesBeat: In that case, they’re going to the trouble of finding a farm to use to attack someone? Labovitz: I don’t know if it’s a farm exactly. [b]There are just sites that you can go to, pay $10 or whatever, and get a link. I don’t think it’s that much trouble. If you have a credit card or Bitcoin, you too can launch a DDoS.[/b] GamesBeat: Now, we’re getting to another part of the problem, then, that something like this isn’t getting shut down. Labovitz: No, they’re not. It used to be a big deal, to find a machine that [had] a gigabit of bandwidth. Today, you can rent one. We’ve seen an explosion of bandwidth, an explosion of devices out there, servers and others. Stuff on the edge has grown by 10 or 100 times. You’re left with the guys in the middle of the Internet facing — I remember I had a pool growing up, and sometimes, the algae in it would just explode overnight. I think that’s how a lot of game companies and carriers feel, facing 10 times the devices with 10 times the bandwidth. [b]You can buy any of it for a few bucks.[/b]"[/quote] - Craig Labovitz, CTO Nokia Deepfield, in an interview with Dean Takahashi for Venturebeat May 13, 2018 https://venturebeat.com/2018/05/13/why-the-game-industry-is-still-vulnerable-to-distributed-denial-of-service-attacks/view-all/

Posting in language:

• You getting ddos’ed in QP a lot?

Posting in language:

• Not until this season, but yeah. It was mostly restricted to Comp last season, but then it began showing up in Gambit and QP as well as Iron Banner. I didn't think anyone would be petty enough to DDoS over a QP game, but alas. But I'd say it was a fairly common occurrence in D1 as well, although lagswitching was more common than DDoS back then.

Posting in language:

• I have never had it happen, the only time I have ever had an issue is one of the times they ddosed goth and I live around him, so I got F’ed

Posting in language:

You are not allowed to view this content.
;
preload icon
preload icon
preload icon