JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Forums

originally posted in: Niobe Labs Clarification
1/12/2019 3:46:00 AM
Woah woah, hold on a second here. Let me get this straight: When you guys made this whole puzzle and did QA for it, [b]which I would assume you QA every piece of content released to the public[/b], did you not have the QA team sit and decipher every puzzle from 1 through 7 to make sure it was actually solvable? Was there absolutely no testing to make sure every aspect of this unbelievably convoluted puzzle actually worked? Was this puzzle so stupidly hard and time consuming that nobody could be bothered to put forth the time and effort to test it? It boggles my mind how something like this could happen, and then go unnoticed for literally days as the community nearly goes mad trying to solve it. And then to not even say “We’re sorry that we made a mistake”, I think, is the ultimate ‘-blam!- you’ to everyone who dedicated their time attempting to solve an unsolvable puzzle.
English

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• This cannot be stressed enough. The ridiculous level of convoluted trash in this game when it comes to puzzles really needs to end. If there is a puzzle there should be hints and ciphers that are able to be deduced by using your brain, not by using google to randomly search out ridiculously obscure references that have absolutely no relevance to anything destiny in game and no dialogue or visual in game hint that is something that is discoverable or even earnable (think back to the ana bray nascent dawn diaries, those would have been really cool if each reward had a hint or meaning for a puzzle. The game giving us tons of garage that is completely useless then not giving any information for actual gameplay puzzles and mechanics is just lazy and embarrassing. It was because their history for convoluted puzzles i did not even bother to attempt any of these idiotic things. For real, in this stupid quest there are actual times you stand on an arbitrary symbol and shoot arbitrary letters or symbols in an arbitrary order based on exactly zero hints whatsoever. Like take the +VLFBERH+T "puzzle" where you randomly stand on a random symbol and even if you know what these swords were you have several garbage letters in the forge AND there are many alternate spellings of +VLFBERH+T so with absolutely zero in game hints or references this just boils down as an absolutely stupid waste of time. Solving the last wish raid was actually a lot of fun, it was fascinating streamers had such an incredibly hard time doing it, the only issue i had with the vault puzzle was that you have to waste essentially 6 people's time because the puzzle was an easy solve but handling the knights / deciphering what was wiping you was the hard part. IE, once you get to a 3rd orb a few times it is a remarkably easy puzzle to solve, we had identifying the odd out plate done in an hour, but corresponding it to the orbs by only ever getting to a 3rd orb a very very few set of times made the data points limited. The point is a puzzle like that one that is easily solvable by using your brain and the info given in the encounter is the way game puzzles ought to be. Convoluted random google scavenger hunts plus brute force are absolutely stupid, period. Lastly, pretending they didn't notice over the course of 24 hours of streamers having their followers carry them through the puzzle that a key and vital hint to this convoluted puzzle was missing fools no one. The never play test anything, let us just hope that new activisionless bungie hires, you know, 1 f...... play tester maybe ?? You know so bugs literally every player on earth routinely faces is caught maybe before the patch update is published ;)

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• Edited by Necrogen: 1/13/2019 2:04:26 PM
    Looks like they didn't test it. Or at the very least did not see that one detail. Let's be glad the community persevered and found the mistake.

Posting in language:

• I don’t think they have acceptance testing. If the build is green and unit tests pass - it is ready. This is why we constantly have quest bugs and other game breaking issues

Posting in language:

• They made it up clearly. Trying to backtrack, make people feel better about themselves by not solving it quickly.

Posting in language:

• Bungie? Quality Control (QC)? Quality Assurance (QA)? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THEY LET ABSOLUTELY STUPID BONE HEADED ERRORS AND MISTAKES OUT THE DOOR, TO PRODUCTION RELEASE... ALL THE TIME! If the development shops I ran, I worked in, I did QA and QC for, had 1% of the issues Bungie releases... they would have fired me, and that is after I had fired most of the validation team before hand, and maybe even a developer or two... the encourage better results. The rate of issues Bungie accepts is SO FAR BELOW industry norms it is a joke, a sad joke. I know because I have been doing QA and QC work for over 30 years for fortune 50 firms. Bungie, seriously, other than the very bad quality of Fallout 76... that is currently the worst, you are horrible at QA and QC, the title to Fallout 76... but I am SURE you will get the title for the worst QA and QC again soon! Of that I have no doubt.

Posting in language:

• Why spend money on QA testers when you have 100's of thousands of free testers that all paid $100+ to test their game!

Posting in language:

• Correct, they have their beloved streamers.

Posting in language:

• As a software tester, I endorse this post.

Posting in language:

• Happens way too often Bloody clown circus

Posting in language:

• Welcome to live service games, where they get away with releasing subpar content because they'll just fix it later if people hate it enough.

Posting in language:

• There will always be something messed up before you receive something good...remember that...it’s just human nature.

Posting in language:

• And to prevent this the Japanese invented QA ..

Posting in language:

• Dude it will never work lol, as you can see.

Posting in language:

• well it wont work maybe at bungies.but there are plenty of Qaulity assurance methods that can indeed prevent such things from happening.. in car industry the number of "mishaps" is measured in PPM ("parts per million") and while it seems to be far fetched, it actually works every day for quite a while.. problem is you need to know your product and evaluate its possible problems.. (FMEA- Analysis)

Posting in language:

• They don't understand that they ruin their own profit like that.

Posting in language:

• As a software tester... That's bullshit.

Posting in language:

• I know, I know but check the patterns...it’s gonna happen with everything that they drop...EVERYTHING!

Posting in language:

• Bungie has that sweet live team that brings us all the cool.....wait is that still a thing?

Posting in language:

• Edited by Odin: 1/12/2019 7:17:37 AM
    I could have sworn Bungie announced that they were going to have testers.

Posting in language:

• Lol, they do. Us. Before stuff is released? Eh, maybe, maybe not.

Posting in language:

• Edited by Demon XXVII: 1/12/2019 7:24:01 AM
    They did/do US! (The general paying/player base) And all the 'poor streamers' whom spent 20-30 hours to complete an unsolvable riddle!

Posting in language:

• Yeah... The "poor" streamers that get paid donations by idiots to play games. The streamers that gained subs and donations during their attempts were the only winners in this whole scenario.

Posting in language:

• Edited by Odin: 1/12/2019 2:49:22 PM
    I think its funny as hell how that all the Streamers got played, Payback is a B lol, but I do believe you're correct about the player base being the testers. I'm just glad I didn't bother with the riddle.

Posting in language:

• Edited by BoopBot: 1/13/2019 9:30:15 PM
    It likely didnt happen at all. Most of the smart players were not the daily streamers, so they are too low level to do the event themselves. Its hard to solve a problem from a back seat. So, I believe in an attempt to walk back the statement that the streamers were " the best and brightest" they are now adressing it in a more generic sense with the OP's post wile adding an extra hint to try and piece things together for everyone who is currently still trying to stream it. In summary, i do not believe there was any missing hint, I think the most popular streamers are simply less adept at puzzles* than Bungie was expecting.

Posting in language:

• The streamers were not the ones solving the ciphers that was done by reddit users . The streamers were the muscle that did the fighting in order to get to the point where they could input the solution the brains back home computed. And that’s quite great and all but the puzzle was incoherent at best and required way to much guessing

Posting in language:

You are not allowed to view this content.
;
preload icon
preload icon
preload icon