JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Forums

12/21/2018 4:18:22 AM
What's the counterargument to the last point (meta weapons)?
English

Posting in language:

Cancel Edit Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Create Fireteam Post

• Edited by SebastienC: 12/21/2018 6:21:15 AM
    The rating system should take care of that. An SBMM system rates players by their wins and losses. It takes a few matches before the rating stabilizes to the number that most accurately reflects a player's true value (this varies from game to game, but under 10 matches is typical, and as few as 2 is possible in some cases). It effectively ends up evaluating a player's ability to contribute to wins. If a player often plays in a fireteam with comms, and uses the optimal builds and gear, he will be rated higher than if he would mostly play solo and use goofy loadouts, just because teaming up and using the META makes him more effective at winning matches.

Posting in language:

Cancel Edit Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Create Fireteam Post

• I understand what you're saying, and such a system would be great to solve the stacking problem, but people running goofy weapons would still be matched against people using Meta. When comparing weapon % usages between IB and QP, it's clear that such percentages are more polarized on IB (sbmm) than on QP. That means there's less weapon variety and more people running meta under SBMM.

Posting in language:

• Edited by SebastienC: 12/21/2018 6:51:20 PM
    [quote]but people running goofy weapons would still be matched against people using Meta.[/quote] Oh yes, that would still happen. But the rating system should compensate for that. Using META gear and builds would inflate your rating, while using, say 2 shitty sidearms and a sword would lower it (provided the loadouts are used long enough for the ratings to adjust). This means that users of goofy gear would get matched against users of META gear of roughly equal rating, and they could still compete. That's one of the secondary benefit of SBMM that is often overlooked: it can smooth out gear differences in power and help with balancing. [quote]When comparing weapon % usages between IB and QP, it's clear that such percentages are more polarized on IB (sbmm) than on QP. That means there's less weapon variety and more people running meta under SBMM. [/quote] That will always happen. People like using good gear, and that's part of the game. If you can't chase good gear, [i]and use it[/i], then what's the point of chasing gear in the first place? Might as well play non-looter games, like Halo.

Posting in language:

• i don't know if my stats qualify for "top level" or w/e but if that system was implemented, i'd be fine with it. My only issue with sbmm has always been going against the same weapons 24/7.

Posting in language:

• A lot of them choose to use meta weapons, but non-meta weapons are still more feasible when the skill gap is larger

Posting in language:

• That's all they use.

Posting in language:

• A lot of them choose to use meta weapons, but non-meta weapons are still more feasible when the skill gap is larger

Posting in language:

You are not allowed to view this content.
;
preload icon
preload icon
preload icon