The Russian Culture presented in the Destiny Universe
So I’m postponing the Roman culture post. So until then I intend to focus on some other cultures that aren’t as prevalent. Today we look at “Motha Russia” and her culture and history:
- khvostov 76-OX - named after Alexi Khvostov, a contemporary and opponent to the real-life Rasputin.
- Zhalo supercell - the zhalo-S is a variant of an eight wheeled Russian tank. The appearance is also closely modelled after the AEK-971 Vintoika, a Russian rifle similar to the AK-47.
- Lyudmila-D - Lyudmila Mikhailovna Pavilchanko was a soviet sniper in the red army during WW2, credited with 309 kills; she is regarded as one of the most successful snipers in history. The weapons flavour text reads, “The cold sharpshooter’s precision of Häkke lyudmila-D is a marvel to behold”, a clear reference to the Russian sniper.
- Omolon - the Omolon river is the principle tributary of the kolyma river in northeast Siberia. This could reflect the foundry’s use of liquid ammunition for it’s weapons.
Thanks to user gravezero:
[quote]- No Land Beyond - based on famous Russian Sniper Vasily Zaytsev, whose monument reads “for us there was no land beyond the Volga”. The grimoire card makes reference to an old earth war, referencing the battle of Stalingrad in which the sniper served in. [/quote]
Thanks to BookGoblin:
[quote]- Komarov armour set - named after Vladimir Mikhaylovich Komarov, a soviet test pilot, aerospace engineer and cosmonaut.
- brusilov armour set - named after Aleksei Alekseevich Brusilov, a Russian General most noted for the development of the new offensive tactics used in the 1916 Brusilov offensive, his greatest achievement. [/quote]
Thanks to user Fraws Vargstig
[quote]- Guseva-C - Khioniya Kuzminichna Guseva was known for attempting to assassinate Grigori Rasputin. The weapon can be earned by completing the Arecibo adventure on Io, a mission revolving around Rasputin. [/quote]
- the Cosmodrome - the cosmodrome we visit in D1 is based of an area of Kazakhstan called the Baikonur Cosmodrome. Whilst Kazakhstan isn’t in Russia, it was a member of the USSR, which was led by Russia from Moscow. Based on the director images and by comparing real-world maps, the cosmodrome is located to the northern part of the Caspian Sea.
- Rasputin - named after Grigori Yeafimovich Rasputin, a Russian mystic and self proclaimed holy man, who befriended the family of the Tsar Nicholas II, the last monarch of Russia, and gained considerable influence in the late imperial Russia.
- Kondratyuk’s Escape - Yury (yuri) Vasilievich Kondratyuk was a soviet engineer and mathematician. He was a pioneer of astronautics & spaceflight, a theoretician and a visionary who in the early 20th century developed the first lunar orbit rendezvous (LOR) a key concept for landing and return spaceflight from earth to the moon. LOR was later used in plotting the first actual human spaceflight to the moon. The ship itself could be obtained from DO in D1, which may reflect their views to leave sol/earth.
Thanks to MTjackal0013 and zNapSnack:
[quote]- timeless Tereshkova - the ships is named after Valentina Tereshkova, a Russian cosmonaut and also the first I woman in space. [/quote]
Thanks to GetBusyGaming
[quote]- vintage Russian Soul - the flavour text reads ‘the old blood of Murmansk’. This is in reference to the city of Murmansk, a city established during the Russian empire. The name “vintage Russian soul” could be a reference to the amount of culture in the city (the city contains two main and several small museums, three professional theatres, libraries and an aquarium. [/quote]
[spoiler]link to master post https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/247827988/0/0[/spoiler]