Auto Aim has no place in PVP on PC. It completely diminishes the experience, and it must be removed.
[i]I know it's long, but please read my post before you respond. Even if you disagree with me, we're on the same side; We all want this game to be as awesome as possible.[/i]
I am [b]NOT[/b] saying that:
- I'm salty because I'm getting totally stomped by controller users.
- People shouldn't be allowed to use controllers.
- Controller users are console player trash and are innately inferior to members of the PC Master Race.
- I don't understand why Auto Aim is in the game at all and it should be removed entirely.
I [b]AM[/b] saying that:
- [b]PVP with an uneven playing field [i]feels bad[/i]. [/b]Not only does it make it more frustrating to lose ([i]"I only lost because Bungie gives controller users free aimbots"[/i]) it [b]devalues winning[/b] ([i]"I can't be sure if we won because I'm awesome, or because the other three players on my team are playing with controllers"[/i]).
- [b]It opens another vector for cheating.[/b] We're already seeing this with players who plug in controllers to add the aim assist to their M+KB play. You're going to have your hands full with people trying to cheat [i]as it is[/i], even if you find a way to track and ban this behavior it's going to be a constant game of cat-and-mouse as people continually discover ways to abuse the aimbot you yourselves added to the game. Why not avoid this headache altogether by disabling it in PVP?
- [b]People will take PVP less seriously[/b] knowing there are sanctioned aimbots among the playerbase, and it will irreparably damage not only the engagement of your most ardent players (the competitively-minded who will stick it out between PVE releases) but if you have designs on making this an Esport, you can kiss those goodbye. The jokes at the expense of your game will be [i]torrential[/i].
I will say that [b]I have no issue with Auto Aim existing in PVE[/b]. If it makes peoples' experience better with their control method of choice, I totally get it and I think it should be kept in the game.
[b]This just doesn't make sense when applied to PVP, though[/b]. It's less fun than it could be, for everyone involved. It's gotta go. Speaking as a core gamer, I [i]want [/i]to sink a bunch of time into getting good at the PVP in this game. But if it's cheapened in this way, the simple fact is I'm going to get bored and frustrated, and go back to one of the many FPSes already available which actually presents a legitimately competitive experience.
Thanks for reading.
This is a topic we have anticipated. Thank you for sharing your points in a constructive manner. It’s a conversation we will continue to monitor. Please continue to share honest feedback about your experiences in the wild. This is why we test. Thanks for playing. We’ll talk more after the PC Beta.