JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Forums

originally posted in: OffTopic is a beautiful place!
6/13/2016 9:10:43 PM
I find it hilariously ironic how you've mistaken sarcasm for satire.
English

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• It's Shakespearian satire. You do understand that satire is highly sarcastic, such as talking something highly negative up as a positive. It's purely literary.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• Satire is a way of mocking someone's logic by creating a sarcastic or hyperbolic rhetoric which follows the same logical path. For instance, when I see a thread titled, "Test how popular you are," and I want to make fun of the attention whores who care about how popular they are on the Internet, I will be satirical by saying, "I'm basically a God around here, so everyone should know me." I'm taking their logic and exaggerating it. You aren't mocking anyone, and as such you're not being satirical. Shakespeare's satire still mocked people.

Posting in language:

• I am being mocking of b.net and other users and their responses. Sarcasm is much more obvious with mocking, such as "the Ninjas sure do know how to do their job." And is typically determined by tone, body language, and other undertone cues that give away the sarcasm. Over a forum where physical and tone are irrelevant, it's determined mostly by context, and is also written out with much less sincerity. Satire is still obvious, but in an entirely different way. It typically takes a blatantly negative topic, like the ones I described above, but uses an entirely positive undertone. It gives no hint at being the opposite, but is still obviously the opposite.

Posting in language:

• [quote]. It typically takes a blatantly negative topic, like the ones I described above, but uses an entirely positive undertone. It gives no hint at being the opposite, but is still obviously the opposite.[/quote] Nope, that is sarcasm. Here, watch this full video. Colbert is excellent at satire.

Posting in language:

• Colbert is excellent at satire. But this is mockery more than anything.

Posting in language:

You are not allowed to view this content.
;
preload icon
preload icon
preload icon