JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Forums

1/4/2016 10:36:51 PM
I really like the idea of this post, in that it explains a pretty complete subplot with motives extraneous from our conventional traveller darkness duality. I think it's a big credit to the writers of the grimoire/story and keeps in line with other very non-linear storytelling techniques they use. It seems like
English

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• In the time that has passed since I've written this, I've researched each point/connection more extensively, and I've revised the theory in my head but haven't taken the time to go back and edit (and this time cite each source) to make it a clear and rational theory rather than the loosely tied together, creative collection of hunches that it stands as now. The Grimoire employs many techniques that are the mark of "literary fiction" as opposed to the average "science fiction" or "fantasy" genre fiction, and my readings and interpretations are based on the assumption that there is an active interplay between the author/s and readers- there's an invitation to think and interpret the story beyond just taking it all at face value, which is what I believe gives Literature the capital L in the front of it. The most obvious example that just about anyone can understand is the Ahamkara Grimoire card, where the end states they are extinct: "of this you can be assured, oh reader mine"- which parallels the diction the Ahamkara in the flavor texts of the associated exotic armor pieces. What logically follows is that the Grimoire, as a fragmented text "told" from multiple points of view, [b][u]should not be trusted[/u][/b] as factual information provided by an omniscient narrator- at least not the cards that are clearly written/told from a specific voice and not as general 3rd person omniscient narration. From here the onus is on the reader to do the detective work- and in many cases we are left with open-ended [i]possible plot lines[/i], which ultimately may be due to the living nature of the text as accompaniment to a game that is in open development and subject to change, based on many extenuating circumstances. I do believe that there is a certain amount of foreshadowing that would be hard to completely toss in the incinerator and ignore, and when I get around to a full edit I'll focus on those points of interest. Thank you for your comment.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

You are not allowed to view this content.
;
preload icon
preload icon
preload icon