JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Forums

originally posted in: Tolerance is self defeating.
Edited by Bloom Unknown : 6/25/2015 7:21:18 PM
I'm not sure that's accurate. Tolerance, as a movement (which I think is what you are taking about )does seem take issues case by case. It doesn't require tolerance of immorality or unethical behavior and ideologies.
English

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• Then its not tolerance.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• Give an example of tolerance in the context of race, culture, etc.

Posting in language:

• I'm not sure what you want exactly.

Posting in language:

• Where is the definition of tolerance in your OP? You are saying it is self-defeating but only if you make into something it isn't, correct?

Posting in language:

• Read it again, and more carefully, and pay attention to the last paragraph.

Posting in language:

• Edited by Bloom Unknown : 6/26/2015 1:23:13 AM
    Are you trying to be condescending? I can't always tell from text. I read it a few times, but maybe I'm not making my question clear. There is no explicit definition for tolerance given. I think you've mischaracterized what tolerance means. You're example is too vague, which is why I asked you to put in some real substance. Let me try: Person A says be tolerant of men and women not removing their religious head garments during the national anthem. What does Person B say? I don't think there is an argument against tolerance, at least how it is intended and the purpose of it. It seems to me that you might be criticizing a hypothetical, illogical form of tolerance that doesn't actually exist.

Posting in language:

• Edited by Britton: 6/26/2015 1:25:54 AM
    I specify that [b][u]100%[/u][/b] tolerance is self defeating, and while that likely doesnt exist, people will often lose sight of that and argue for the ideology instead of the reality. I'm just encouraging people to be reasonable, not use a blanket ideology, and take things issue by issue.

Posting in language:

• Ok

Posting in language:

You are not allowed to view this content.
;
preload icon
preload icon
preload icon