This Week At Bungie – 08/24/2017
This week at Bungie, we’re exploring a new European destination.
It’s a busy time at Bungie, and abroad. Earlier this week, our Bungie away team boarded planes and trains to travel to Köln, Germany for gamescom. They’ll be there all week spreading the news about Destiny 2 and celebrating DeeJ’s birthday.
Earlier this morning, Pacific Time anyway, we showed off some of the new fun, exploration, and adventures to be had in one of Destiny 2’s new destinations, the European Dead Zone. Devrim Kay VIII is on hand to give you a quick tour of the EDZ and to show you what to expect when you start exploring on September 6th. There will be new loot to discover, enemy forces to dispatch, Lost Sectors with hidden treasures to find, and much, much more.
Take a look for yourself.
This wasn’t the only thing we showed off this week. Under the shadow of the moon, as it hogged the spotlight from the daystar for a few hours, we put out a brand new action packed Launch Trailer. If you haven’t seen it yet, go watch it now. We’ll wait for you.
We’re still not done. This week we’re also shedding new and renewed light on Destiny 2’s cast of characters. First up is Cayde-6, a favorite that many of you already know and love.
Next is a mysterious renegade named Hawthorne that you’ll meet in the wild.
Ok, now we’re done… for today at least. If you want to check out some direct feed EDZ gameplay and impressions, make sure to check out all of the videos and coverage coming out of gamescom this week.
PC Beta Imminent
Only 4 more sleeps until you can play Destiny for the first time on your own personal computer. For players with early access (via pre-order or code), the ability to pre-install the Beta begins on Friday, August 25 at 10 AM Pacific Time. To pre-install, you must go to Blizzard’s Battle.net app and click the big “Install” button. If you pre-ordered at retail, take the Bungie code you got from your retailer and go to bungie.net/redeem to get your PC Beta early access code.
Before you jump in, you might want to take some time to get familiar with how you’ll control your Guardian and let loose your wide arsenal of weapons and abilities on any enemies foolish enough to stand in your way. To get you started early, we’ve created a quick image to show the default controls for Mouse and Keyboard on the PC.
The PC Key-mappings are customizable, so you can map them out to fit your personal play style.
In the PC Beta, you will also have text chat available for sending tactical callouts and witty banter to other players in your Fireteam(/f). You can even whisper(/w) “why does Kyle keeping falling off the edge” or “hey, come run Inverted Spire with me!” to someone on your friends list. There are multiple text chat visual modes you can cycle through(T). After beta, but in time for launch, we plan on adding a Team channel (similar to team voice chat) and the ability to whisper to Clan members.
This Beta is a Test! We will learn a lot to help support the full PC release on October 24. We want to know what you think! We have a Feedback Forum set up and ready. If you think you might have found a bug, let us know in our Game Issues forum. Thank you for helping test the PC game and our servers!
Starting on Friday, September 1, we’ll be taking over the Paramount Theatre to bring Destiny 2 to PAX West. We have a whole lot of fun planned for everyone who attends, and this will be your last chance to play Destiny 2 early before we push it out to everyone on September 6. All you need is a PAX badge and you’re good to go.
Balcony seating is reserved for panel discussions. We aren’t revealing big Destiny 2 news, but we do have some fun topics to discuss for those looking to get insight from our studio and the community we serve.
Noon – FRIDAY – September 1Leading the Destiny CommunityBungie Community Managers are not the only voices that serve the player. The Destiny Community benefits from a network of leaders with audiences all their own. Learn all about the challenges that content creators face as they spin up videos, podcasts, and streams that entertain gamers when they’re away from their controllers. Hear war stories from the front lines of the Internet. Score some tips on how you can begin that adventure yourself.
3PM – FRIDAY – September 1Bringing the Guardians of Destiny to LifeCosplayers take the act of becoming legend quite literally. PAX always brings some of the finest costume creators into the spotlight. Watch them strut their stuff in suits of armor (and capes) of their own creation. Meet the artists behind the masks. Cheer for your favorite heroes from the world of Destiny. This is not a contest. Every Guardian who represents the Cosplay Community will be a winner.Noon – SATURDAY – September 2Forging a New Destiny WeaponBefore a weapon makes it into your hands, it passes through many of ours. It takes many creative disciplines at Bungie to fill the gun rack. See the creation of Destiny weapons from the first vision to the final tuning. Learn how Concept Artists, 3D Modelers, Animators, and Designers forge weapons that are worthy of heroes. Come and meet the gunsmiths at Bungie that keep your vaults filled with wonderful armaments. Witness a creative regression for some of the most iconic weapons in Destiny’s brief history.3PM – SATURDAY – September 2Building Better Worlds in DestinyBefore you explore the worlds of Destiny, they are built from the ground up to reflect an artistic vision. Learn how Concept Artists and Environment Artists work hand in hand to create the places where your characters fight for their survival. See some of the earliest visions of the worlds you’ve come to know, and how they influenced every step of our creative process. Get a glimpse at the tools we use to build better worlds.1PM – SUNDAY – September 3Destiny PlayTest War StoriesBefore Guardians can face each other in competition, we wage countless wars against each other at Bungie. Our playtest labs are arenas where studio heroes are born and the games you play evolve. Learn from the combatants about how the battle for the best idea rages inside our walls. When shots are fired, everything is up for grabs: The maps you know, the modes you master, and the way every Character and Weapon is powerful.
As you can see we have a good mix of Bungie and community lined up to share stories and experiences with you. Join us to ask some questions or to tell some stories all your own. We can’t wait to see you there!
You have “Q”s, they have the “A”s. Destiny Player Support are working hard to make sure you have the info you need for everything Destiny 2.
This is their report.
Early Access for the Destiny 2 PC Beta begins at 10 AM Pacific on August 28, 2017. The following is a list of confirmed issues that may impact gameplay:
- Players may encounter issues when playing the Destiny 2 Beta with drivers that are out of date. Updating drivers to the latest version grants the best experience when playing Destiny 2 on PC.
- The Destiny 2 Beta may not run when installed to a folder with some localized character types in its name (e.g. Greek, Cyrillic, Kanji, etc.). Players should ensure that they install the Beta to a path that does not include these character types, or use the default install location.
- Players may encounter issues when joining the Fireteam of another player on their same local area network. Players who encounter this issue should ensure that they have UPnP enabled in their network settings.
- MSAA is still under development. As such, players may encounter various issues including visual artifacts and performance degradation when using MSAA.
- Multi-GPU support is still in development. Players may encounter issues including visual artifacts and performance impacts when using NVIDIA SLI. AMD Crossfire support is not available in the Destiny 2 PC Beta.
- The Destiny 2 Beta must be launched from Blizzard’s Battle.net app. If players launch the Beta client directly from the executable, they may receive an error message or the Destiny 2 Beta client may become unresponsive. Players who encounter this issue should close the Beta client through the user interface or by pressing Alt+F4, and proceed to launch the Destiny 2 Beta using the “Play” button in the Destiny 2 tab of the Blizzard app.GeForce GTX: If players wish to have the optimum experience in the Destiny 2 PC Beta, they can download and install NVIDIA’s new Destiny 2 Beta Game Ready Driver. Simply download and launch NVIDIA's GeForce Experience, then proceed to click the "Drivers" tab to download the update, or download it from the NVIDIA website here.Bungie.net Update: Profile RecoveryPlayers now have a means to recover a previously made Bungie.net profile that no longer has any authentication methods linked for sign-in. If a player wishes to recover their account, they may proceed through the following steps:
- Identify the authentication method used to create the Bungie.net profile that was closed or lost
- Ensure the authentication method has been unlinked from any active Bungie.net profiles
- Click "Create a new account" and use the account credentials that were originally linked to the desired account
- Select "Recover" next to the desired Bungie.net profile and complete the account reclamation process, which may be identified by profile membership ID's or Bungie.net join datesPlease note the following:
- For a Bungie.net profile to be recovered, it cannot be linked to any active authentication methods. If linked, it will not be presented to the player during the account recovery flow.
- Players will have up to 90 days to recover lost or closed Bungie.net profiles. After 90 days, this process will be unavailable.For additional information concerning Bungie.net Profile recovery, creation, or linking, please see this Help Article.Additionally, we are actively investigating issues impacting various features on Bungie.net, including Groups and Clans. If you encounter any issues after the most recent update to Bungie.net, please post a report to the #Help forum. Stay tuned to @BungieHelp on for the latest updates on our investigation.
What are the ingredients for a great Destiny video? Action packed gameplay? Good supplemental music? Hilarious shenanigans? There are different videos for different moods. We try to find some of the best ones to share with you every week. If you want to send in your video, just submit it to the Creations page. If we feature it here you will also receive this special Emblem. Good luck!
Here are this week’s winners.
Move of the Week: Light Eater
Honorable Mention: Send off
Honorable Mention: Never, ever, ever give up.
It won’t be long now. September 6 is rapidly approaching. Between now and then, we still have our first date with our new friends in the PC community in the Beta and a celebration with our old friends at PAX to fill the time. There’s no rest for the wicked.
There is an energy gathering in the air on the eve of this launch. Everyone here is excited to finally get to share with you what we have been working on the last few years.
We’ll see you real soon, whether that be in person at PAX, or fighting Fallen side by side in the EDZ.