JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Service Alert
We are actively investigating issues impacting players' ability to sign in to all Destiny releases on PlayStation 4. Until resolved, players may experience disconnects or be unable to sign in. Please stay tuned to @BungieHelp for updates.

Destiny 2

Discuss all things Destiny 2.
8/9/2018 11:34:36 PM

It’s been a good run

Hello everyone, I just wanted to say that the past 4 years have been great with the community. But recently I was in total shock. I decided to look up my hours on destiny 1 and 2 since my friends were doing it, but what I found gave me a weird feeling. I wasted 3000+ hours on destiny and 600+ hours on destiny 2. Many people have been telling me of my addiction to gaming, but I never took that seriously. I remember all those late nights I was doing crucible or raids with my friends and thinking that it was the usual. I think it’s for the best if I stop playing destiny and gaming as a whole so I could get some things together. I really have no point in posting this, but all I wanted to say was thank you. Thanks for all the developers at bungie who created this game and thanks to the community for giving me an experience I’ll never forget.
English
#destiny2

Posting in language:

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• Edited by Allah: 8/14/2018 1:06:47 AM
    Hello everyone, I just wanted to say that the past 4 years have been great with the community. But recently I was in total shock. I decided to look up my total grams of coke snorted since my friends were doing it, but what I found gave me a weird feeling. I wasted 3000+ dollars on coke and 600+ dollars on contraband plastic straws. Many people have been telling me of my addiction to “la cocaina”, but I never took that seriously. I remember all those late nights I was doing lines or 8 balls with my friends and thinking that it was the usual. I think it’s for the best if I stop snorting coke and drugs as a whole so I could get some things together. I really have no point in posting this, but all I wanted to say was thank you. Thanks for all the dealers at bungie who created this addiction and thanks to the community for giving me an experience I’ll never forget.

Posting in language:

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• Ya know a hobby isn’t an addiction

Posting in language:

• People who HAVE to have their morning coffee. Who literally make jokes that they can't survive without it. People who smoke cigarettes. People who have 'a daily beer' People who play with their phone literally every 30 seconds Have the nerve to call YOU an addict

Posting in language:

9 Replies
    • Whether we wanted it or not, we’ve stepping into a war with the Media on Video Games. So let’s get to taking out their command one by one. Reader’s Digest. From what I can gather they command the Public from an Office outside of Midtown, Manhattan. They’re well protected, but with the right team, we can change the public opinion, take this beast out, and break their grip on Gamers.

Posting in language:

3 Replies
      • Edited by Omence072: 8/10/2018 10:55:31 PM
        Perspective is the key. A master musician can spend 5 to 8 hours a day practicing their instrument and that accumulates to thousands of hours as well. They do it because they have a passion for it. Same with any other hobby, in my opinion. It of course comes down to the individual and what is best for them. I hope everything works out for you.

Posting in language:

3 Replies
        • This is the kind of post I’m fine with. Someone taking a break because it’s just a normal thing to do. Taking breaks from gaming is fine. Spending 6000 hours on a game isn’t exactly something to be proud of, but it does show you how much you love gaming. I can relate. I don’t even know how many hours I’ve put into both games, but it has to be a lot. And every now and then I take breaks from it, or gaming in general. But one thing everyone forgets, is that most games are designed to have fun. Like Titanfall 2. [spoiler]Unless you’re EA. In that case your only goal is to cuck people over lol[/spoiler]

Posting in language:

• Edited by Technohydra: 8/10/2018 7:21:04 PM
          Ever since that study came out on gaming addiction, everyone you know is know suddenly a PhD in psychology and knows your case file front and back. Never mind that no one actually took the time to read that study, or is even remotely qualified to understand the findings, it fits a narrative that they like, so they adopt the Reader's Digest version as a personal chant. It all goes back to a central thing that gamers have faced for decades now; the desire of others to make you fit into their version of the concept of 'normal'. Gaming addiction isn't spending a ton of time gaming. No more than drinking frequently is alcoholism. It's both the mental process involved, and the repercussions of the actions taken by the individual that determine what is an isn't an addict. Case in point: last weekend, I rolled both examples into one, and drank a 6 of good craft beer while spending hours gaming, in Destiny 2, in fact. I am neither an alcoholic nor a gaming addict. How does that function? Firstly, why was I drinking? Because I wanted to, and I enjoy the taste of a good IPA. Not because I needed to, or I wouldn't feel normal or ok if I didn't, or i had been thinking about it all day, or because I was feeling sick, but because it felt like an ok thing to do, and I had a 6 of what I wanted in the house already. Secondly, why was I gaming? My pregnant wife was asleep early, I had done all the things I needed to do around the house, my friends were online, and I had nothing else on the docket, so I did it. And I was having fun, so I kept doing it. The next day, I got up on time, showered and shaved, ate breakfast, and went to work. Addiction is when something occupies you so much that it interferes with the ability to lead a productive life, harms your health measurably, degrades your relationships, or causes you to have to drastically alter everything to continue doing those things (high-functioning addicts). Playing a lot of games isn't a problem, so long as your life comes first and is 100% handled in a healthy way. And it's no more harmful than watching a lot of TV or reading a lot of fiction, as long as you are maintaining health practices and limits. When you start missing work, dates, bills, meals, ignoring friends and family for extended periods of time, pissing in a bottle so you can keep playing uninterrupted, losing sleep at a predictable rate, or when your thoughts of the game occupy you so much that you have difficulty functioning in normal society, then you have a problem. Until then, let's not hype up this concept too much or use the terminology too casually, because it's just a single study and a single opinion as of yet. For reference, here's a few things you do a lot of over 4 years as well: -the average American watches over 5 hours of TV a day, which is 7300 hours over 4 years -likewise, we spend 68 minutes a day eating on average, which comes down to 1655 hours in 4 years -We drive an average of 101 minutes per day, making for a 4-year total of 2458 hours -Talking takes about an average of 4.8 hours per day, making for a staggering 7008 hours in 4 years of us flapping our traps -you sleep a staggering 11,000+ hours in 4 years, if you get 8 hours a night (which not many of us do) By comparison, the OP plays almost 2.5 hours a day, which for an online game is pretty mild; many WoWers that I wouldn't classify as addicts spend 4 or more in an evening. Just consider what's OK for you, where you stand in the situation, what things take a back seat to your chosen leasure activities, and what those impacts are. And consider moderation as an alternative to outright prohibition. Remember, there is no definitive amount of gaming that constitutes 'problem gaming', but there is definitely a threshold mentally, physically, socially, emotionally, and economically that can indicate a true and serious issue. Know yourself, be honest about how you are doing and where your life is going, and then make the decision that makes you the happiest, healthiest, and most well-adjusted person you feel you should be. And give anyone the finger that tells you what you are and aren't when they don't have the faintest shred of qualifications to make that judgement. Take care of yourselves, and the people around you, folks. Qualifications: I lived with a gaming addicted roommate for 4 years, I've pretty much seen it all.

Posting in language:

10 Replies
          • Destiny 2 broke my addiction to destiny. Thank you bungie

Posting in language:

1 Reply
            • It sucks because this is the true reality. If i spent the amount of time working towards real life success instead of in a virtual world, I would be doing much better. Adding up 400 days of gameplay I've accumulated and turning that in to a minimum wage check in CA would come out to $105,600 before taxes... Could've invested money and made much more out of myself. Instead I have nothing to show for it over the last 6 years except for a few profiles on the internet. I can't blame you a single bit for focusing your time elsewhere

Posting in language:

• See you Sept. 4th

Posting in language:

• Bye Felicia [spoiler]had to[/spoiler]

Posting in language:

• Sounds like your just getting your priorities right and getting a bit of balance in your life! Same with me. 400 hours on D1 and 300 D3. It’s too much. I have s good job, an amazing GF. But I’ve put on weight and neglected my friends. I will keep playing games as it’s my main hobby but need to sort myself out a but more! Good luck!

Posting in language:

• So spending time with friends is waisted time now?

Posting in language:

• Edited by ghost-3171: 8/11/2018 8:30:07 PM
              Good luck to you, but don’t get down on yourself for enjoying your hobby. Don’t let others’ opinions determine what is worth your time and effort.

Posting in language:

• Good luck! I have over 4000 hours in both games so i feel ya.

Posting in language:

• Had the exact same problem. Gaming was taking over my school career, relationships and pretty much all my life. Had to seek therapy for months in order to replace my addiction with healthier hobbies. Now if I can play 6-10 hours a week I'm good. Used to be 6-10 hours a day. All I can tell you is good luck buddy. If I managed to do it, so can you.

Posting in language:

• Good luck man, If you have a true addiction it will be hard to go cold turkey. I would suggest you play some single player games and set your online status to “appear offline”.

Posting in language:

3 Replies
              • I've thought about walking away but enjoy the game and the social nature of it too much. I'm 4000 hrs D1 and well over 1000 D2 but hold down a job etc. Misses not well so does allow me more time than most and TBH if I could wish her well I'd give up the game straight away.

Posting in language:

• I have to defer to the people around you. If they say you have a problem, you probably have a problem. I'm curious though, have you been able to hold down a job? Did your "addiction" negatively affect your job in any way? Do you have a "significant other"? Does your significant other have a hobby of any kind? If you don't play videogames, what will you do? Will you watch TV more? What's the difference between TV and videogames? Gaming addiction is destructive. People call off work to play and ignore friends and family. If you aren't doing that, you don't have gaming addiction. Even with a scary looking number like "3000 hours" (which is only about 2 1/2 hours a day over 3 years).

Posting in language:

• Goodbye, may your Guardian rest.

Posting in language:

• Can I have your account?

Posting in language:

• OP i would drop by r/stopgaming if you want to have a read of others. Its a great subreddit

Posting in language:

• I gotta support you on this. I've spent wayyyy too much time in this game, and honestly it's prob held me back in some areas. I would follow through with it, even on a short term goal like six months or a year. I did without it for months before D2 dropped and was surprised how little I actually missed it. Other good things will fill the gap my man. Be safe out there Guardian!

Posting in language:

• I disagree with people’s lighthearted approach to gaming addiction and/or the affect it has on the brain. Spend at least an hour researching the topic and you will find similarities in a situation like your own or someone you know. Like most study based articles, a few of the really good reads require a subscription or pay-per-view to read beyond the abstract but the free articles reference most of the same studies. I applaud anyone who takes steps in their life to achieve more for themselves. Free time isn’t just a leisure activity; it can be treated as a time to invest in your potential. For those that enjoy their work and life, it’s great to spend free time as a leisure- especially with video games (cheap, good fun). If you aren’t pleased with your current status in life, use your leisure time to progress and eventually you will be in a place to return to the world of gaming. I’d suggest, fulfill your obligation to yourself and don’t return to gaming anytime soon. Hope to see you back in Destiny 3 when you’ve found the new you.

Posting in language:

4 Replies
                • I agree with the musician point. Here's the thing if you are making gaming your priority in life then yes it's a problem but if family or friends irl ask to do something and you do that first then no it's not a problem imo and tbh my dad says the same thing but all I see him do is watch sports center. The difference between hobby and just something to burn time is what's your main focus on the life you live or the game. Either way I wise you the best personally what I saw for d2 I'm sure I have more hours under my belt but family and friends always come first

Posting in language:

• I will game until , 1) my fingers fall off. 2) I go blind 3) they ban video games 4) I pass away.

Posting in language:

7 Replies
                  You are not allowed to view this content.
                  ;
                  preload icon
                  preload icon
                  preload icon