JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Destiny 2

Discuss all things Destiny 2.
Edited by HaonEtat01: 4/16/2018 1:39:39 AM

I think I’ve found the real world location of the EDZ patrol area

I don’t know if this has been discussed or figured out already, I assumed it has, but if not then this might interest someone. So after spending some time in the game and on Google Maps comparing landmarks, I believe the EDZ patrol area is based around Geneva, Switzerland. Obviously we have to take into account that a) its a video game and the scale will be a lot smaller than the real world, and b) the game is based 700 years into the future. The landmarks I compared are based around Lake Geneva (Lac Lehman). 1) Chillon Castle. If standing at Winding Cove and looking across the lake, we see the remains of what appears to a very old structure that resembles the back of Chillon Castle that’s at the opposite end of the lake from Geneva. Game: https://i.imgur.com/qi5ZgBv.jpg Real World: https://i.imgur.com/odMkSwY.jpg 2) Cathedrale Saint-Pierre Geneve. Although a larger structure in the real world than in the game, the rounded end, tower and structural design inside are very similar to the in game cathedral. There are also round windows that appear VERY similar in design and color to the game. Game 1: https://i.imgur.com/6YTveO4.jpg Game 2: https://i.imgur.com/xF9K2GC.jpg Game 3: https://i.imgur.com/3PQzDCj.jpg Real world: https://i.imgur.com/5KO3D8i.jpg Real World: https://i.imgur.com/TsvGXm5.jpg Real World: https://i.imgur.com/9JS0Frr.jpg 3) The reservoir. While the reservoir in game is huge, there is a a small dam/reservoir type area further into the city that could in theory grow into the massive reservoir we see in the game after the course of 700 years. 4) The Salt Mines. Although we see the entrance to the salt mines as being directly behind the cathedral in game, this could be attributed to game scale or continued mining hundreds of years into the future. There are salt mines not far from Geneva in Bex. 5) The Alps. In the game a snow capped mountain range can be seen in the distance that could easily be the Swiss Alps. Game 1: https://i.imgur.com/YnwQZXw.jpg Game 2: https://i.imgur.com/gg1Owlk.jpg Here is an image from Google Maps of the real world area: https://i.imgur.com/MahseHC.jpg Let me know what you guys think. Am I onto something? Or am I dead wrong? EDIT: A lot of people are bringing it up so here’s a shot of the “Graubünden” road sign that’s in the water at winding cove: https://i.imgur.com/hsFts8g.jpg
English
#lore #destiny2

Posting in language:

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• No, it's near Vals in Zwitserland. Go to Sojourner's Camp and look at the road signs, they lead to a well known mountain called Zervreilahorn. There are also other road signs that say the EDZ is in Graubünden, which is where Vals is located.

Posting in language:

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• Next we need someone to try and locate the “fun” in Destiny 2. Might be a wild goose chase

Posting in language:

• [quote]So after spending some time in the game and on Google Maps comparing landmarks, I believe the EDZ patrol area is based around Geneva, Switzerland.[/quote] Do the invisible walls just show up on Google Maps, or is there a layer I have to toggle to be able to see them?

Posting in language:

• Edited by Seraphim Crypto: 4/17/2018 2:23:03 PM
    That's some great research you did there. You may be onto something there, but personally I believe Bungie merely took inspiration from areas in Switzerland and then made up their own idea of the EDZ, as opposed to designing the area completely after a real life example. I'm also not entirely sure if the region around Geneva is the correct one. As you may know, Graubünden and the Zervreilahorn are real life locations (interestingly only about 200 kilometers from my home). If you google these, you know Graubünden is a state canton of Switzerland, and the Zervreilahorn is a mountain. Personally, I always believed that the EDZ is located somewhere in that region, possibly between Austria and Switzerland. Switzerland has a lot of small seas inbetween a lot of mountains, so it's hard to go off that one, to be honest. Also, there's a town in Graubünden named Davos, which even has a church looking quite similar to the one in the game. Picture: http://s15149.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Church-Davos-Switzerland.jpg But, the cathedral you mentioned also is a close match. Just note that Switzerland has quite some churches with a similar style to the cathedral. Also a thing to note is the road sign you mentioned. If you look closely you note the 5 on it, right? The 5 means Motorway 5. It's how our road system here works, and to demonstrate it here's a link to the article of the motorway: [url=https://bit.ly/2IZtpp6]Link[/url] I chose the German one, as the English one is not expansive enough. You just need to pay attention to the infobox on the right. First, the red 5 symbol (which means Motorway 5) is quite similar to the symbol in the game, minus the rust. Then you might notice that Motorway 5 actually is quite a distance from the state canton Graubünden and the Zervreilahorn (they're on opposite sides of Switzerland, really). Any bigger road in Germany, Austria or Italy labeled with a 5 also is too far away to put up a sign for Graubünden. So personally I believe that this is a inconsistency, thus making it even harder to make out any exact location. That's why I believe there may be no exact real life location, but they only took inspiration from Swiss architecture, names and locations. Still, great work! EDIT: Finally fixed link.

Posting in language:

2 Replies
    • It’s on 79th Street and NW 27th Avenue in Miami. Plenty of combat there.

Posting in language:

• Great work!

Posting in language:

• Edited by I_am_Tro_Lenyu: 4/17/2018 3:07:02 AM
      The OP is a nice guy. I’m not. Edited...

Posting in language:

3 Replies
      • Nice, but have you found the location of Uranus yet? I heard the cabal gave it a major pounding during the invasion but I haven't seen it. I guess we'll just have to wait for a future expansion, maybe they'll be able to fit it in. (sorry I couldn't help it, good guess on Switzerland though. I always thought east Belgium near the German border)

Posting in language:

2 Replies
        • These are the types of posts that used to flood the forums during D1. There were always super interesting things to read and discuss. I appreciate how you captured all of this and it’s fun to wonder about. I half expected this to be some sarcastic shit post like every other post here these days. A nice surprise for sure.

Posting in language:

• Looks a lot like Syria.

Posting in language:

21 Replies
          • I hate to burst your bubble but the EDZ is in germany which can be clearly seen in the signs on the walls of some buildings. I know this because I did a word search on some of the signs which is written in german since I wanted to find out if these words actually meant something. That not to say that location is not close to switzerland since when you leave the tower it about a one week walking distance to get to the farm.

Posting in language:

9 Replies
            • Nice job and effort, but I have some remarks: I’m from Switzerland... I don’t think it’s Geneva. In Geneva we speak french, not german. The Chillon Castle is on the other side of the lake, yes, but this lake is big, and it’s definitely too far away to be seen from Geneva (or eventually by good meteo conditions). The Alps IRL look bigger. That’s the reason I would propose Germany or Austria. They speak german, Austria has Alps. Graubünden is a Region in Switzerland speaking also german, but the lakes don’t match I would say, and the Alps are much bigger. But very interesting 👍🏻

Posting in language:

2 Replies
              • None of the links work.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
                • Am I the only one that saw all the gosh darn signs and such all over the place written almost exclusively in German? and then went: "I must be in Germany!"

Posting in language:

2 Replies
                  • No offense to anybody but someone here must speak German as well. Again: "...all the signs written almost exclusively in German and thought: "I must be in Germany" right? Right? I mean no need for deep profound, Lore research on most topics when you can fx: read the darn signs all over the place and relate it to a vacation, or any other experience in real life? am I just being crazy here?

Posting in language:

1 Reply
                    • On a somewhat unrelated note... This reminded me of my old days of playing UT99 with my sniper clan. One of our members also created custom maps for play on our server. One such map was inspired by the Boulby Potash Mining Facility, in England. Sorry I can't post a link, but Google has images available. The map my buddy was inspired to make, was a sniper's paradise.

Posting in language:

• Hmmm could it be... no ... EUROPE?!?!?!

Posting in language:

1 Reply
                      • Good work bungie!! Even the locations are a reskin of something.

Posting in language:

5 Replies
                        • Would you like MyNameIsByf to make a video on this?

Posting in language:

4 Replies
                          • Good bit of work in to this cheers for sharing.

Posting in language:

• Good reasearch: this is the kind of stuff we'd like to see more of here.

Posting in language:

1 Reply
                            • Every link wont work.

Posting in language:

3 Replies
                              • None of the links work. HTTP error 403

Posting in language:

1 Reply
                                • I've found the real world location of this game! http://i67.tinypic.com/wk1no3.jpg [spoiler]still burning![/spoiler]

Posting in language:

4 Replies
                                  • interesting

Posting in language:

• Edited by Eqitx: 4/16/2018 8:25:51 AM
                                    How about focus on schoolwork and uninstall this trash game, son? You'll thank me, one day I cannot even imagine how many weeks this guy wasted on his "research". Jeee...

Posting in language:

4 Replies
                                    You are not allowed to view this content.
                                    ;
                                    preload icon
                                    preload icon
                                    preload icon