JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Service Warning
We will be pushing a patch live tomorrow. Players will be required to log in to Destiny again after returning to the title screen to install the patch. You should not be removed from any activities you are currently in.

#Halo

4/17/2007 2:10:05 PM

Nice Try Certain Affinity, but..

..the maps are no good. [b]*EDIT*[/b] Tombstone is fine, sort of, but Halo 2 broke it. [b]*EDIT*[/b] I was so excited to finally play Hang 'Em High for Halo 2 because of course everyone loved it so much in Halo 1, but I forgot what made Hang 'em High fun; the pistol. No, this isn't a 'OMG h1>h2' thread or anything like that, I'm just saying that for some reason when Bungie made Halo 2, they decided it was ok to not be able to shoot more than 100 feet. Bullets somehow [i]dissapear[/i] if they're too far away, and do no damage what so ever. Oh wait, not if your host! This is what ruined Tombstone for me. I played a game on it up to 50 kills, and at the end, the host has 28 kills on our team. No more camoflauge? Thanks guys. It's pretty hard to make it across this map without dieing, which was the whole point of Active Camo. The map is pretty open in the middle and by tombstones and with active camo, it actually let you get across the map un-noticed. Not saying you can't now, it's just a lot, lot, harder. [sarcasm]Oh yeah, and the weapon placing of the sword and sniper? Good job certain affinity.[/sarcasm] Oh and C.A., nice try on trying to make it feel Halo 1-ish with the default BR start and default SMG secondary though. I'm surpised Bungie let that fly. Overall, Tombstone just doesn't work for anything other than some random fun gametypes like snipers, etc. You guys also managed to break Desolation by only allowing a person to get on top from only 4 PLACES. (TWO of which are lifts, which make it more obvious than EVER that your there). Once a team sets up the right way, theres no way they could stand a chance without acsess to any overshields or sword or anything. Those little hallways by lifts would be very easy to watch, and then well, if anyone ever goes up a lift, your gonna know. Overall, I'm disapointed in the maps. I played plenty gametypes on both of them and just don't feel like I should of spent any money at all on them. I regret the 4 dollars I just spent. Discuss your feelings in this thread, and lets try not to make 50 "I Dont like the maps" threads. [Edited on 04.17.2007 7:11 AM PDT]

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• Yes... it seems even Desolation has begun to grow on me... *goes to play custom game*

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• All I have to say is GREAT JOB CA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The new maps are awesome, so ignore all the little whinners who are looking for Halo 1 all over again. This isn't halo 1 and as a Halo 2 map, they ROCK!!!

• They are game ruining. Because right now you can't even send them cheating feedback. That is "part of the map", so to speak. Anbody can use it, without even knowing its there. So its not like a super jump, where you have to know how to super jump, to super jump. A level 1, who didn't even know how to shoot a BR could get behind a wall, and own. Because nobody could shoot him. They aren't even close to the Halo 3 shield walls, as those are both ways. You can not shoot through them at all. This is like being behind cover. Except, you can not be touched by grenades, rockets etc. And of course, you can return fire. You can't even give cheating feedback to people who use this, as its part of the map. in that, you don't need any special knowledge to exploit it. You just have to go around, and viola!! your protected from enemy fire. With the relic teleporter glitch, you could give cheating feedback. You had to know how to "crouch" and jump through it. But with this glitch? Its not possible to get a fair game on these maps. Already, maybe 1/5 games have a bouncer. With this kind of geometry in the map, its very likely that 100% of the games on these maps will be somehow affected by these walls. People will go behind them, and perhaps not even know they exist. They will just feel that "they own in that part of the map". Or people will go behind them because they do know. But unfortunately, all you have to do is walk behind it. And I can't even tell if i should give them cheating feedback, as quite obviously, this isn't a glitch like the bouncing. Its something that anybody can do without any knowledge.

• I heavily agree with cheechwawa. I have tweaked around with the starting weapon sets and certain game modes for these maps and I have found a more than enjoyable use for them. True they can never be like the originals because halo 2 is not like the original. If anyone was hoping for an experience exactly matching anything from halo 1 experience with the originals then they were mistaken in holding such hopes (unless they were new to halo 2 in which case they had not yet learned the changes that had taken place between games etc). As for fixing those no-shoot zones on tombstone well that dude is right. There is no way to correct it. though they could re-release the map with those slight changes made to it. Perhaps by matching your purchase record from xbox live they can issue waivers for those people who already purchased the faulty maps. Then either release an update which destroys or disallows the use of the original tombstone map with those flaws thus allowing only the neo-tombstone to be used. Or merely allow both neo-tombstone, and the glitchy tombstone to be used by the xbox but for all matchmade uses only the newer of the two is used. That is only if these glitches do turn out to be so game ruining and severe as to warrant any action at all. As of now you really have to try to get any use of those glitches and most people know about them already and many more will know enough to avoid those two trouble spots. Though I would like to congratulate CA on an outstanding visual job on both maps and so long as I can play both my own custom touches or at the very least a BR spawn in most matchmade games they should work great. *As of right now desolation is in dire need of a BR or Carbine spawn.*

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] CailinUaigneach I agree, Tombstone is no Hang em' High, but it is its own map that I really do like a lot. I am very disappointed in the Sniper/sword only being accessable by the blue team...the Red team can't even TRY to get there. You basically have to wait for one of them to pick it up then kill them so it falls off and you can jump down and get it. Other than that very annoying aspect I think Tombstone is very well done. Desolation is another story, I'm not even going to go into how much I hate that map. I'm just going to say this...Foundation and Warlock put together...but 10 times worse than both. And I absolutely hate that you can't get out of the maps. Playing slayer and objective games gets boring...what do you do when you're bored...try to super jump and get out of the maps....if you can't do that, you pretty much just stop playing Halo.[/quote] /sarcasm: super jumping is so cool and 1337, it doesn't ruin the game at all. Let me tell you. Only way to play. ONLY. Way. To play.

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] CailinUaigneach [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] GreyBeard [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] CailinUaigneach ...try to super jump and get out of the maps....if you can't do that, you pretty much just stop playing Halo. [/quote] If CA can do this for these 2 maps then why can't bungie do it for the rest ? I wish everyone felt the way this kid feels, no superjump, no playing halo. lol, please bungie, fix it fast. add a death zone.[/quote] Ok, fix all of them, have 90% of the ppl that play halo stop so you have problems gettin a matchmaking game, sounds good to me. Then you can stop playing too :-) and bungie can realize what people really want out of this game, its more than just another stupid First Person Shooter.[/quote] wow kid super jumps are for losers, please dont ever talk again you ignorant terd

• physics engines are usually the most buggiest... most of you have NO IDEA of the amount of complex math that goes into it.

• The glitches in tombstone cannot be fixed. Here's why: Sorry to bust your bubble guys, but the bug that they fixed in relic was a glitch in the game engine. the one that allowed us to commit suicide on the armory's trash cans. the one that basically allowed us to comit suicide on every trash can of the game. The patch fixed that glitch as you can no longer die this way in the armory. Morever, a collision geometry problem of that kind is at the root of the map and is not the thing you can patch the way they patched relic's flaw. Therefore, I'm not sure they can patch the map without forcing a complete re downloading. I am aware they never patched backwash when they saw it had glitches that were relative to the map and not the game engine. They however did fix the glitch that allowed weapon flag and gun pickup through walls in the updates. This glitch would occur on any given level at any given time. it was part of the game engine. As for why they never fixed the superbounces, it's because those bounces are part of the PHYSIC engine of the game Called "Havoc". Editing a physic engine is much harder than fixing a little item pickup glitch because the physic engine modifications would affect any aspect of the game whatsoever. Would it mean bodies floating over the ground, warthogs beeing weirder than they already are, everything would get affected.

• The sniper is in the SAME DAMN PLACE AS HANG 'EM HIGH!

• Umm.....Halo 1 pistol seemed fine for Hang em High because it was on LAN, not Live. On LAN Tombstone is fine. Great in fact. The glitches really need to be fixed. I don't want invisible walls.

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] GaIap i see no real problems.[/quote] Then I'm sorry to inform you Galap, but I believe you just might be blind. [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] BR Rapage I don't like how you can't superbounce or get out of the maps.......[/quote] Tombstone has 19 or so superbounces. Google is your friend. [Edited on 04.18.2007 2:16 PM PDT]

• i personally dont see any real balance issues with the maps, except that desolation map default slayer 1v1 is kind of broken (one player can easily get both rockets and sword, and overshield and spawn kill the other) but other than that, i see no real problems.

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] MLG Cheehwawa I agree on most points. The BR does not have enough range or little aim assist as the Pistol to make Tombstone as fun as Hang 'Em High. I also wonder why they replaced the top OS/Camo rotating spawn to shotgun? It's also a shame we couldn't use the M6D Easter egg they placed outside of the map. Hehe. Derelict was fun in Halo, 'cause of the Pistol and the Teleporters. Now, the best way to get upstairs (a must, since it is SMG spawns and BR spawns upstairs will allow easy spawn camping) is the lifts, which make a TON of noise. I though certain affinity was catering to the competitive crowd (you know, the ones holding the halo 2 community together)?[/quote] Amen. [quote]Overall though, I believe that was Certain Affinity's first pair of Halo 2 maps, so great job, that was a pretty big accomplishment. The maps are not unplayable, especially with some tweaking.[/quote] Yeah this is true, but there won't BE any tweaking. The maps are here to stay as they are =/ [Edited on 04.18.2007 12:50 PM PDT]

• I agree on most points. The BR does not have enough range or little aim assist as the Pistol to make Tombstone as fun as Hang 'Em High. I also wonder why they replaced the top OS/Camo rotating spawn to shotgun? It's also a shame we couldn't use the M6D Easter egg they placed outside of the map. Hehe. Derelict was fun in Halo, 'cause of the Pistol and the Teleporters. Now, the best way to get upstairs (a must, since it is SMG spawns and BR spawns upstairs will allow easy spawn camping) is the lifts, which make a TON of noise. I though certain affinity was catering to the competitive crowd (you know, the ones holding the halo 2 community together)? Overall though, I believe that was Certain Affinity's first pair of Halo 2 maps, so great job, that was a pretty big accomplishment. The maps are not unplayable, especially with some tweaking.

• WHAT IS WITH ALL OF YOU CHILDREN IN HERE!!! H1 is not and WILL NEVER be H2 or is greater than or whatever else because they are different games and different features! This is also the case when they remake maps guys! I feel like Im repeating a lot of other people in here but this really has to be said in defence of a great pair of new maps. Ok tombstone- yes its easier for blue to get the sniper and the sword. Hmm.... Ok if your going to play team games choose another one if you dont like it! As for countering this "advantage" of the blue base (i know this has been said) but hello - rockets anyone (Im hearing lots of N00b comments and other flames coming here) I was playing them today and it was 1v1 on my xbox at home. Bro had the sniper and had me pinned. I used the EXTRA COVER in red base to get the ROCKET LAUNCHER and then used the EXTRA COVER AT RED BASE to get into a good spot to fire off a couple of rockets (if you know how to use a rocket launcher well you could imagine what I did here) now he did survive but thats why I switched to my BR and began firing while he was running from my rockets. Nuff Said I reckon. Yes there are rockets look around a bit. Desolation- Mate its fast paced and full of action- FFA!!! Yeah it is great for ffa, theres cover ups and downs and most weapons you would want to kill people with. It would make for an equally fast paced and challenging CTF or territories. I like the lifts- they are a great trap but they are also a great way to move about. The halls with the shottys is great cuz it makes it interesting to grab a hold of one. Now whats all this about super bouncing and magic walls? WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!?!?! I have never found any of this stuff on these or any other maps! Frankly I play them for the fun of playing them- not trying to find glitches so i can beat people easier or anything! People get so competitive with this matchmaking thing- I believe it was intended as a way of levelling the playing field to stop games where new players or less experienced players werent always getting their butts kicked by someone who is very good at the game- hence making the online gameplay better for said inexperienced players because they get a chance to get some kills and build their skills (no rhyming intended there). IF YOU DONT LIKE IT WHY WHINGE LIKE CHILDREN? GO AND PLAY SOMETHING ELSE OR GO OUTSIDE AND RIDE A BIKE! WE ARENT MAKING YOU PLAY HALO 2 SO GO BACK TO YOUR BELOVED HALO 1 AND HOLD A SERIES OF LAN PARTIES I apologise for repeating SO many peoples ideas but these things i mentioned were going through my head as i was reading through this post. Glad to see so many like minded people who enjoy games for that purpose -ENJOYMENT

• I like tombstone. You guys are lame. Derelict is another question though. But I do feel they spent so much time making sure super bounces were impossible that its glitch filled. I mean there are tons of Invisible walls. peoples bodies get cut in half. Derelict has a infinite warthog spawn. WTF?

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] KRAAAYZIE You all just have to understand that it's such a sad sight to see two of the best maps from your favorite game turn into.. well, these. It's like having a hot wife, and then about 10 or 20 years into the marriage, she gains a lot of weight.[/quote] Terrible analogy. My hot wife has gained some weight since having my child and frankly this comment shows your age and your maturity level. Love is ever lasting and my love for HEH is the same. Tombstone is not the same as HEH. You can compare the maps all you like but they are for two different games. Personaly I will never play Tombstone because I no longer play Halo 2. However if I did and I didn't like it. My 'love' of HEH would not deminish because of it. [Edited on 04.18.2007 3:03 AM PDT]

• Does anyone else think of Zoolander every time someone says Derelict? (Derelicte)

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] JerodR Personally I was just looking forward to new maps. If I wanted to play the old maps I would just play Halo 1. I do like the new maps and having two overshields is kind of nice. It makes it harder for one team to hog it, however I do agree that they need Camo on Tombstone. Also, I would like to see rockets as well.[/quote] umm there are rockets have you actually looked around?

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] asylum WOW shut the -blam!- up and quit your -blam!-ing bks. [/quote] omg omg Bungie Bungie he said "BKs" BAN HIM

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] a falling couch The biggest problem I have with these maps is that in Tombstone, bullets bounce off of a lot of surfaces. It is fun to play around with and see how many times you can get it to ricochet and hit someone, but i found that if you run in a straight line on the bridge things and shoot straight down with the sniper, the bullet bounces right back up into your head and kills you. This is really easy and fast to do. You thought Team Sniper de-leveling was bad before...you just wait until the new maps are implemented. [/quote] Rank Reset FTW! Tombstone 1 Flag CTF is gonna be a classic. Up there with Zanzibar and Terminal. [Edited on 04.17.2007 7:46 PM PDT]

• I honestly think the Battle Rifle is a much better substitute for the pistol. I prefer this to the HeH in Halo 1. Though, I'd still rather see Sidewinder.

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] il Duce Primo The weapon layout is exactly as it should be, there is no better way of setting them unless you just take every weapon off the map.[/quote] Also, for those of you complaining about the sniper being closer to the blue team, yes that may be true, but did you notice that the rocket launcher is closer to red? idk about you, but I think that sorta helps out with balance.

• Both maps i think are great the onyl concern i have is the weapons and over shield placement i mean come on the lift lands you on the overshield how messed up is that. But there is no lip on the ramp from the water that made me happy

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] asylum WOW shut the -blam!- up and quit your -blam!-ing bks. [/quote] Quit your useless posting. You didn't say anything worth a post. It's people like you who get threads locked and start pointless flame wars.

• Actually there IS a Halo CE pistol on Tombstone, check out this post. [url]http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=10569631[/url] [Edited on 04.17.2007 5:46 PM PDT]

preload icon
preload icon
preload icon
You are not allowed to view this content.