JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

OffTopic

Surf a Flood of random discussion.

1/8/2013 4:28:19 PM

Grammar Debate! "Are" or "Is"?

So I hear people say things two different ways. When referring to a company or organization, some people use the verb "are", some "is". For example: Bungie ARE being very secretive about Destiny. OR Bungie IS being very secretive about Destiny. I know there are multiple people, but the outfit is singular. So which is it?
Add more answer options

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• Are is plural Is is singular / a single organisation. MS and 343i ARE -blam!- Bungie is cool
    Add more answer options

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• "Is" would be the word you are looking for, my good sir.
    Add more answer options

• The employees of Bungie are being very secretive about Destiny, so Bungie is being very secretive about Destiny.
    Add more answer options

• "Bungie" is compound subject, referring to the people who work for the company. It is correct to use "is" when referring to Bungie. "Bungie is releasing a new game next quarter" However, when you're talking about "the Bungie developers", you use "are".
    Add more answer options

• I'd use is.
    Add more answer options

• There is no debate about this. There are rules when to use each one. When referring to the individuals banded together in a group, use [i]are[/i]: Bungie are going to the store. When referring to Bungie as one entity, use [i]is[/i]: Bungie is a private game developer.
    Add more answer options

• It depends on the sentence. I can't think of an example where you'd use 'are'.
    Add more answer options

• It's weird for me, I use "is" when talking about companies, e.g. "Bungie is working on 'Destiny'", but when I talk about bands, I use are, e.g. "Imagine Dragons are really good. They're working on a new album." unless the artist is a solo act, such as "Owl City is OK."
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] xGHOST270x I iz gud at grammar. It really depends on the subject and what is being refferred to. " The British are coming" sounds better to ne than ' the British is coming". Conversely, " The Texas rangers are going to win the Division' sounds better than ' the Texas rangers is going to win the division".[/quote] But The British, while it is an accepted title, is really an adjective. Apples to Apples would be "Britain are coming". See, sounds weird. Same with The Rangers, while a single unit, have a pluralized adjective-like name. But if you went with "Texas is going to win", that sounds correct. [Edited on 01.08.2013 8:56 AM PST]
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] L00 How do you know if a talking breast is English or American then?[/quote]Talking breast? I'm confused. I know some users are British and some American per their having said so, if that's what you're asking . . . [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Ason Unique [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] RighteousTyrant Pretty sure I notice more Brits doing it than Americans, but maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see. [/quote] Possibly. For some reason I always assume that people who confuse "then" and "than" are American and I put it down to them sounding almost identical when spoken with a Southern drawl.[/quote]Nope, yankees are just as guilty of this as southerners. "Y'all" is a much better red flag for a southerner, IMO, though few people correctly place the apostrophe.
    Add more answer options

• I iz gud at grammar. It really depends on the subject and what is being refferred to. " The British are coming" sounds better to ne than ' the British is coming". Conversely, " The Texas rangers are going to win the Division' sounds better than ' the Texas rangers is going to win the division".
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] RighteousTyrant Pretty sure I notice more Brits doing it than Americans, but maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see. [/quote] Possibly. For some reason I always assume that people who confuse "then" and "than" are American and I put it down to them sounding almost identical when spoken with a Southern drawl.
    Add more answer options

• Depends on the country. In UK English are and is can both be used for a collective noun like a company name. If you are talking about Bungie in a way like your examples, then both work. If you are talking about Bungie like "Bungie is a game company" then you wouldn't use are because you are using Bungie like a singular noun only referring to the company, not all of the employees.
    Add more answer options

[quote][b]Posted by:[/b] RighteousTyrant [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Ason Unique [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] RighteousTyrant For whatever reason, our friends across the pond seem to have forgotten that, you'll seen them preferring "are" over "is". [/quote] No you won't. No more so than you see Yanks doing it. OT - It's "is" as there's only one Bungie.[/quote]Pretty sure I notice more Brits doing it than Americans, but maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see. [/quote]How do you know if a talking breast is English or American then?
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] DeadliestCarpet You guys is so smart.[/quote] You is too buddy. Is you normally this intelligent? I don't know if this thread are serious or not.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Ason Unique [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] RighteousTyrant For whatever reason, our friends across the pond seem to have forgotten that, you'll seen them preferring "are" over "is". [/quote] No you won't. No more so than you see Yanks doing it. OT - It's "is" as there's only one Bungie.[/quote]Pretty sure I notice more Brits doing it than Americans, but maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see.
    Add more answer options

• I'd use is because this is a singular noun. Bungie IS awesome For multiple nouns I'd use are Bioware and Bethesda ARE my favorite developers. [Edited on 01.08.2013 8:38 AM PST]
    Add more answer options

• A company is a singular entity, therefore "is" is correct. I know other people have already said it, I just felt like typing it down myself as a personal reminder to not make that mistake.
    Add more answer options

• It all depends on whether you are referring to Bungie as a group of people or a company. No debate here.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] RighteousTyrant For whatever reason, our friends across the pond seem to have forgotten that, you'll seen them preferring "are" over "is". [/quote] No you won't. No more so than you see Yanks doing it. OT - It's "is" as there's only one Bungie.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] AR IS4 NUBS 'IS' is correct. I'm also annoyed by the misuse of the 'there' words.[/quote] Their is no need to get angry about it. OT: "is". Using "are" sounds weird.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] A Good Troll A company is a singular entity.[/quote]This. For whatever reason, our friends across the pond seem to have forgotten that, you'll seen them preferring "are" over "is".
    Add more answer options

• You guys is so smart.
    Add more answer options

• A company is a singular entity. You can think of it like when you refer to say, worker's unions as well - you would say "The union is" not "The union are". [Edited on 01.08.2013 8:32 AM PST]
    Add more answer options

• The company is singular - you are not talking about multiple companies. The correct sentence would be Bungie IS....
    Add more answer options

• 'IS' is correct. I'm also annoyed by the misuse of the 'there' words.
    Add more answer options

preload icon
preload icon
preload icon
You are not allowed to view this content.