JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

OffTopic

Surf a Flood of random discussion.

12/12/2012 8:12:09 AM

Have you ever had 'authentic' foreign food?

That is, either been to the foreign country and eaten the national dish there, or had the dish been cooked by someone who is from that country. How did the 'authentic' dish compare to the kinds of food you'd get in a restaurant? For example, having Chinese take-out compared to having home-cooked Chinese.
Add more answer options

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] roman arrow12 [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Disambiguation I ate plenty of authentic cuisine when I visited Vietnam. Some good, some interesting, some not so good.[/quote] I've always wondered, is Pho an actual Vietnamese dish or is it something that's been Americanized?[/quote]It's real, but not all over the place like you find over here. My Vietnamese friend said that it's usually something people make at home rather than have at a restaurant.
    Add more answer options

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Disambiguation I ate plenty of authentic cuisine when I visited Vietnam. Some good, some interesting, some not so good.[/quote] I've always wondered, is Pho an actual Vietnamese dish or is it something that's been Americanized?
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] A Good Troll [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Disambiguation I ate plenty of authentic cuisine when I visited Vietnam. Some good, some interesting, some not so good.[/quote] I'm adventurous, but some things in Vietnam would scare me, like the obvious fetal duck egg. I might try the cat or monkey, but I'd have a hard time eating dog.[/quote]I threw my inhibitions to the wind while I was there. Alcohol helped.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Disambiguation I ate plenty of authentic cuisine when I visited Vietnam. Some good, some interesting, some not so good.[/quote] I'm adventurous, but some things in Vietnam would scare me, like the obvious fetal duck egg. I might try the cat or monkey, but I'd have a hard time eating dog.
    Add more answer options

• I ate plenty of authentic cuisine when I visited Vietnam. Some good, some interesting, some not so good.
    Add more answer options

• I don't believe I'd eat anything I found in a third world country. /rimshot
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] I3 O O lVI E R I don't believe so. Unfortunately. [/quote]
    Add more answer options

• Yes, more than I can list.
    Add more answer options

• I can cook authentic Thai which I learned from a girl whose family is from there. [Edited on 12.12.2012 6:37 AM PST]
    Add more answer options

• Eeyup. Japanese if I recall correctly.
    Add more answer options

• I went to Italy. The food was awesome.
    Add more answer options

• Yup, that mexican taco truck is chock full of illegals. They make some mean food. Cash only.
    Add more answer options

• When i was in the u.s. I had some taco bell and it was great!
    Add more answer options

• always
    Add more answer options

• I eat Thai food every other week.
    Add more answer options

• I went to Canada and had smoked salmon. Does that count?
    Add more answer options

• I went to France and ate steak and chips. Safe to say I had authentic foreign steak and chips.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Garshne That is, either been to the foreign country and eaten the national dish there, or had the dish been cooked by someone who is from that country. How did the 'authentic' dish compare to the kinds of food you'd get in a restaurant? For example, having Chinese take-out compared to having home-cooked Chinese.[/quote]Yes, I went to a sushi-go-round in Japan while living there. I enjoyed the sushi, but not the ginger.
    Add more answer options

• Yeah, the food in Italy is amazing.
    Add more answer options

• I live in the UK, and I've visited the USA and France. The food in Europe seems to be a bit better tasting. However, my dad's Indian, and I've been to Chinese and Indian restaurants run by people from those regions
    Add more answer options

• Went to Columbia one year and the food was fantastic!
    Add more answer options

• i had pizza in italy and man was it good
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Ninebreaker999 Also, why does European Coca-Cola taste far better than American Coke?[/quote] American Coke is sweetened with corn syrup. European uses real sugar. I've eaten plenty of places in foreign countries - but if you look hard enough, you can find true authentic restaurants in America as well.
    Add more answer options

• When I was in mexico I had a taco
    Add more answer options

• I lived in Germany for almost a decade, and traveled to many European countries. Authentic food tastes way better in its home country. Also, why does European Coca-Cola taste far better than American Coke?
    Add more answer options

• Well, I think that one Italian restaurant I went to is the most authentic foreign food I had so far. It really blows my mind how great all those stuff were yet it looked really, really simple to cook. Just hoping my uncle gonna cook a good turkey/meat dishes as soon as he get back from US.
    Add more answer options

preload icon
preload icon
preload icon
You are not allowed to view this content.