JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

OffTopic

Surf a Flood of random discussion.

12/12/2012 7:31:25 AM

destiny = Steampunk?

[url]http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=32235[/url] Soldiers with futuristic body suits [i]and[/i] capes? And that giant vehicle/gun thing? For some reason that whole picture has a steampunkish tint to it, and it's disturbing. Steampunk and other, not quite similar styles (futurism mixed with things that just don't quite fit), just turn me off.
Add more answer options

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dostoyevsky [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] EvilTaffyapple I don't think the OP knows what Steam Punk is...[/quote]Read OP's posts before making stupid posts.[/quote] I did. You said those things were SteamPunk-esque, which they aren't. Hence my comment. Checkmate.
    Add more answer options

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• It gives me a warhammer 40k vibe when I see that picture.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] JustAnotherName However, no one cares. I personally really like the capes.[/quote]"No one cares" is a rather subjective statement.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Forcewielder The issue is the realism. HUD-featuring helmets and accompanying bodysuits adorned with capes which fall to the ground is in fact unrealistic and impractical.[/quote] I think we get your point. However, no one cares. I personally really like the capes.
    Add more answer options

• Steampunk is more like Hellboy or Dishonored than Destiny. Destiny is possibly disaster-based future and not steampunk.
    Add more answer options

• The issue is the realism. HUD-featuring helmets and accompanying bodysuits adorned with capes which fall to the ground is in fact unrealistic and impractical.
    Add more answer options

[quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dostoyevsky [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Ancient_Peelo Does the machinery in the picture look like it works on steam? You're missing the word "steam" in steampunk.[/quote]It doesn't need to use steam to be considered steam punk. But never mind, I've realized it's the lack of realism that bothers me. I should have thought about the OT more before posting my thoughts.[/quote] I know, it's just that usually when something is considered steampunk, it at least looks like it uses steam in some form or has a sort of goldish bronze and clunky look to it.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Squiggy That concept art is far from screaming Steampunk.[/quote]
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dostoyevsky [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] BROWN HAWK [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dostoyevsky It's difficult to role-play when there are obvious things that just don't make any sense at all. And a cape that goes to your heels on a future war fighter makes no sense at all.[/quote]Batman wears a cape.[/quote]I wasn't aware Bungie was making a superhero game.[/quote] Well, we do have pretty much no idea what kind of game it will be. Best not to jump to conclusions this early ( I don't think it will be a superhero game it's just that this post came off as though OP is on some kind of high horse and knows more about Destiny than we do).
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Ancient_Peelo Does the machinery in the picture look like it works on steam? You're missing the word "steam" in steampunk.[/quote]It doesn't need to use steam to be considered steam punk. But never mind, I've realized it's the lack of realism that bothers me. I should have thought about the OT more before posting my thoughts.
    Add more answer options

Does the machinery in the picture look like it works on steam? You're missing the word "steam" in steampunk. [Edited on 12.12.2012 1:24 AM PST]
    Add more answer options

• It reminds me of Killzone.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] BROWN HAWK [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dostoyevsky It's difficult to role-play when there are obvious things that just don't make any sense at all. And a cape that goes to your heels on a future war fighter makes no sense at all.[/quote]Batman wears a cape.[/quote]I wasn't aware Bungie was making a superhero game.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dont pass gass [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dont pass gass [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dostoyevsky [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dont pass gass There are different factions in Destiny and I think the capes are one way of expressing their faction [/quote]That's quite a leap you took there. All a cape would do, other than show your allegiance (of which you could find ten other more efficient ways of doing), is obstruct moving in a firefight. Unrealistic.[/quote] Are you implying that Destiny is supposed to be realistic? [/quote] Also to further prove my point [url=http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/11/32.jpg] here [/url]is another concept art picture with some one wearing a cloak to obviously represent a faction. [/quote]I wasn't arguing that you were wrong. I was arguing that that would be stupid. I love Star Wars but I also think the fact he's wearing a cape is stupid. Even so, his cape isn't long enough to impair movement, unlike the soldiers in the leaked Destiny picture.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Seggi31 [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dostoyevsky Did you look at the people in the picture wearing the capes?[/quote]LOL, so you assume that all futuristic body suits must keep people perfectly insulated?[/quote]No. But do you think a cape would keep someone even a fraction warmer than the suit would? The guy has a helmet with no visor. If he has a HUD I'm sure his body suit is capable of keeping him significantly more warm than a cape would. [Edited on 12.12.2012 1:24 AM PST]
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dostoyevsky It's difficult to role-play when there are obvious things that just don't make any sense at all. And a cape that goes to your heels on a future war fighter makes no sense at all.[/quote]Batman wears a cape.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dont pass gass [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dostoyevsky [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dont pass gass There are different factions in Destiny and I think the capes are one way of expressing their faction [/quote]That's quite a leap you took there. All a cape would do, other than show your allegiance (of which you could find ten other more efficient ways of doing), is obstruct moving in a firefight. Unrealistic.[/quote] Are you implying that Destiny is supposed to be realistic? [/quote]Science fiction is obviously fictional. But one of the things that makes video games better is the sense of possibility. It's difficult to role-play when there are obvious things that just don't make any sense at all. And a cape that goes to your heels on a future war fighter makes no sense at all.
    Add more answer options

• Kinda looks like Killzone actually
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Bryanesie It looks like a nod more towards the Star Wars universe than anything. [/quote] That's what I thought also.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dont pass gass [/quote] Also to further prove my point [url=http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/11/32.jpg] here [/url]is another concept art picture with some one wearing a cloak to obviously represent a faction. [/quote] I swear that guy on the left looks like a Scout Trooper.
    Add more answer options

• It looks like a nod more towards the Star Wars universe than anything.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dont pass gass [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dostoyevsky [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dont pass gass There are different factions in Destiny and I think the capes are one way of expressing their faction [/quote]That's quite a leap you took there. All a cape would do, other than show your allegiance (of which you could find ten other more efficient ways of doing), is obstruct moving in a firefight. Unrealistic.[/quote] Are you implying that Destiny is supposed to be realistic? [/quote] You know I like my games to have unrealistic aspects, after all it is a video game and not everything has to be practical or make sense.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dont pass gass [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dostoyevsky [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dont pass gass There are different factions in Destiny and I think the capes are one way of expressing their faction [/quote]That's quite a leap you took there. All a cape would do, other than show your allegiance (of which you could find ten other more efficient ways of doing), is obstruct moving in a firefight. Unrealistic.[/quote] Are you implying that Destiny is supposed to be realistic? [/quote] Also to further prove my point [url=http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/11/32.jpg] here [/url]is another concept art picture with some one wearing a cloak to obviously represent a faction.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dostoyevsky Did you look at the people in the picture wearing the capes?[/quote] LOL, so you assume that all futuristic body suits must keep people perfectly insulated?
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dostoyevsky [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dont pass gass There are different factions in Destiny and I think the capes are one way of expressing their faction [/quote]That's quite a leap you took there. All a cape would do, other than show your allegiance (of which you could find ten other more efficient ways of doing), is obstruct moving in a firefight. Unrealistic.[/quote] Are you implying that Destiny is supposed to be realistic?
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Seggi31 [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Dostoyevsky I'm sorry; I assumed futuristic body suits would keep you warmer than a cape.[/quote]>implying futuristic body suits exist and are affordable and practical in this universe[/quote]Did you look at the people in the picture wearing the capes?
    Add more answer options

preload icon
preload icon
preload icon
You are not allowed to view this content.