JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Community

Discuss what we all have in common.

11/10/2012 9:26:35 AM

So, this happened yesterday around this time. My avatar just changed by itself, and when I first noticed it, it was the dark ODST avatar that displayed half a face. When I went to go change it back, my old avatar, the purple Cortana face, it was replaced by the ODST avatar, which is in two separate pages. Pictures: [url=http://oi50.tinypic.com/14wde6p.jpg]1[/url] (ODST avatar top left) [url=http://oi49.tinypic.com/16sbra.jpg]2[/url] (ODST avatar bottom right, where Cortana used to be) I know this is trivial, but I'm wondering if it's a problem on my side or on Bungie's. Help would be appreciated. [Edited on 11.10.2012 1:27 AM PST]
Add more answer options

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• Thanks Das, it's fixed.
    Add more answer options

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] dazarobbo Open up the URL to the image that's supposed to be displayed in a separate window/tab and forcibly reload it. In your case, it's the "misplaced" image in your second picture. If you're using Firefox, right click the problem image which you know is wrong and click View Image (or Copy Image Location and paste into a new tab/window) then press Ctrl + F5. [/quote] But I'm on Chrome and my F5 button isn't the reload button, and I have no idea where it is on the HP Pavilion g6. Can I just use CTRl+The reload symbol on Chrome?
    Add more answer options

• Open up the URL to the image that's supposed to be displayed in a separate window/tab and forcibly reload it. In your case, it's the "misplaced" image in your second picture. If you're using Firefox, right click the problem image which you know is wrong and click View Image (or Copy Image Location and paste into a new tab/window) then press Ctrl + F5. [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Xplode441 I believe that cookies are just the little bits of information that the website tells your browser to hold on to. I also believe that they get corrupted sometimes and can mess stuff up yo. So you'll just have to log back in after refreshing the page. inb4Daz corrects me.[/quote]That's correct. HTTP is a stateless protocol, which means for each request or response there is no previous knowledge retained about transfers between the client and server. Cookies provide this information as a kind of "hack" between the browser and whatever server application is running on the server side. It's a very inelegant solution, IMO. At a higher, more abstract level, cookies provide mechanisms for identifying unique "sessions" (quite a bit of debate about what constitutes a session, too). Basically, when you log in, your browser is given a unique identifier which is stored as a cookie. Each time you click a link or do something which causes the browser to request information from within a domain where a given cookie is valid, that cookie is included in the request to identify you/your browser/your session. This is why you should [generally] never disclose what your cookies are to anyone. As for corruption, that's unlikely due to the guarantees TCP provides on data transfer. It's more likely that your browser or (more likely) a server mishandles them which may result in... inconsistencies.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] DarkSunnyboy1 What would happen if I deleted cookies?[/quote]I believe that cookies are just the little bits of information that the website tells your browser to hold on to. I also believe that they get corrupted sometimes and can mess stuff up yo. So you'll just have to log back in after refreshing the page. inb4Daz corrects me.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Xplode441 Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies for bungie.net? That's about as technical I get when it comes to fixing these types of problems.[/quote] What would happen if I deleted cookies?
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Changsta inc I think the avatar listing got re-categorised, and therefore everything's in different places. My theory is that an avatar has an address to whatever position it is on that list. So the avatar positions have changed, but the address remains the same and therefore you come up with a different avatar. That's my guess at least.[/quote] Then how do I retrieve the old one?
    Add more answer options

• Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies for bungie.net? That's about as technical I get when it comes to fixing these types of problems.
    Add more answer options

• I think the avatar listing got re-categorised, and therefore everything's in different places. My theory is that an avatar has an address to whatever position it is on that list. So the avatar positions have changed, but the address remains the same and therefore you come up with a different avatar. That's my guess at least.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Changsta inc Uh, both links are the same OP.[/quote] Yup, just noticed, changed.
    Add more answer options

• Uh, both links are the same OP.
    Add more answer options

preload icon
preload icon
preload icon
You are not allowed to view this content.