JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

OffTopic

Surf a Flood of random discussion.

10/8/2012 3:24:18 AM
Talon

Will the U.S. ever switch to the Metric System?

The U.S is one of the [url=http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/map_of_countries_that_dont_use_metric_system.jpg]last countries to not adopt the metric system.[/url] Do you think they'll make the switch? Because, seriously guys... you're missing out.
Add more answer options

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• Nope. They're too kewllll
    Add more answer options

Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post.

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Kat_Ana No, do you know how much money it would cost to change all the road signs, etc, to metric? Yeah, and we're already neck-deep in debt.[/quote]Wouldn't also create jobs for people to manufacture, replace, and install new signs? People that could spend money in order to stimulate the economy?
    Add more answer options

• I'll be damned before I stop measuring with a furlong! Commie metric loving bastards!
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Garland No, and we have no reason to.[/quote]Apart from the rest of the world using it and it makes more sense? I think they're some good reasons.
    Add more answer options

• Eventually. It just makes so much more sense in everything.
    Add more answer options

• Yeah, eventually, probably not in my lifetime, but...
    Add more answer options

• No, and we have no reason to.
    Add more answer options

• It's the same with the whole dating system. America = Month/Day/Year...? Why? Doesn't it make sense to go smallest to largest? [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Duardo [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] burritosenior Everyone else should switched to either Fahrenheit or Kelvin first.[/quote]We should all switch to Kelvin. It would make life easier. Then move onto the Metric system.[/quote] [url=http://i.imgur.com/ER5vL.png]It is the most logical[/url].
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] RC1262 Scorch no /thread[/quote]
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Duardo [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] burritosenior Everyone else should switched to either Fahrenheit or Kelvin first.[/quote]We should all switch to Kelvin. It would make life easier. Then move onto the Metric system.[/quote] But Kelvin is just Celsius except it starts at absolute zero.
    Add more answer options

• Too expensive.
    Add more answer options

• We're there with Burma? Really?
    Add more answer options

Vicex
    Vicex

It's not an English flag - old

[quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Duardo [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] burritosenior Everyone else should switched to either Fahrenheit or Kelvin first.[/quote]We should all switch to Kelvin. It would make life easier. Then move onto the Metric system.[/quote] Why K? When do we need to measure based on absolute 0?
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Duardo [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] burritosenior Everyone else should switched to either Fahrenheit or Kelvin first.[/quote]We should all switch to Kelvin. It would make life easier. Then move onto the Metric system.[/quote] Kelvin is unnecessary because Celsius is far more relevant to the human lifestyle. It is far better to say that it is 0 degrees Celsius rather than 273.16 degrees Kelvin in everyday life. As you know Kelvin is based on Celsius and is for the scientific community. [Edited on 10.07.2012 7:47 PM PDT]
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] burritosenior Everyone else should switched to either Fahrenheit or Kelvin first.[/quote] But Celsius [i]is[/i] Kelvin...
    Add more answer options

• Why would we? The rest of you should switch to the Imperial System.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] talon2000 Metric just makes more sense. 100cm = 1 meter 1000m = 1 kilometer 100 kilometer = kilometer It just makes sense... 1 metre = 1.0936133 yards? What? I also don't get the whole Fahrenheit thing?[/quote] I agree. The Celsius system is good, divide the difference between the temperature water boils and water freezes in atmospheric pressure and you get 1 centigrade. I'm not sure what Fahrenheit is based on...
    Add more answer options

• I wish we did have it, but i understand why we dont. It would cost a heck of a lot of money to replace every road sign in the country.
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] talon2000 100 kilometer = kilometer [/quote]QFF
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] thatguyaknow I wish, but probably not because of all the stupid ignorant americans that wouldnt want to learn it.[/quote] That's not why. How would you like it if the U.S. spent all of it's money changing each sign?
    Add more answer options

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] burritosenior Everyone else should switched to either Fahrenheit or Kelvin first.[/quote]We should all switch to Kelvin. It would make life easier. Then move onto the Metric system.
    Add more answer options

• I wish, but probably not because of all the stupid ignorant americans that wouldnt want to learn it.
    Add more answer options

• The scientific community uses the metric system. I think that's as far as we're going to get because we're lazy.
    Add more answer options

Vicex
    Vicex

It's not an English flag - old

[quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Wikked Navajoe Nope. It would be too costly and we're already accustomed to our standard system. [/quote] I think it's more difficult to use and visualize, but yeah...
    Add more answer options

• No, because 'Murica But in all seriousness, the longer it takes to switch because of "financial concerns," the more it'll cost to switch later on
    Add more answer options

• They will, inevitably. Sooner or later you've just got to realise you're doing it wrong. Sure, you might keep the imperial units for a few things like the UK does (like distances and speed related to vehicles), but there'll be a switch in most cases [i]within our lifetimes[/i]. [Edited on 10.07.2012 7:41 PM PDT]
    Add more answer options

preload icon
preload icon
preload icon
You are not allowed to view this content.