I have seen a lot of players complaining (especially in strikes) about other guardians playing in a way that makes it difficult to complete bounties.
For example a player loads into a strike aiming to complete a few get x kills with y weapon bounties. They just want to take it slow and get all their bounties done. One of the teammates they got matched with is just wanting to get in and get out as fast as possible to get their pinnacles done.
Both guardians are playing to complete their individual goals, but they are negatively affecting each other. The pinnacle rusher by moving too fast leaving the bounty farmer behind to take on all the ads alone, and the bounty farmer taking things too slow and leaving the pinnacle rushed to fight the boss alone.
This causes a lot of frustration that negatively impacts the players experiences. This is especially bad for a coop focused game such as Destiny.
I suggest a change to the way bounties work to bring the goals of both players more in line and encourage more cooperative play.
My suggestion is to make bounties a team wide side objective. Each player with an individual goal that contributes to the bounty. Each player that completes their portion will get a reward and also increase the reward of other contributing players.
This would encourage guardians to work together and be rewarded for doing so. The actual bounties themselves would not have to change very much either. You could still still have kill x amount of enemies with y weapon type. But instead of a single player trying to get all the kills while fighting the other players and causing frustration the players could work together. All players would be able to contribute, and as long as they contribute a small portion of the total all players would be able to benifit.
My idea of how this system would work would flow something like this:
- Each player can purchase up to 3 'bounty tokens' for their next activity.
- Based on what activity is selected 3 random side quests are generated that each team member can see.
- During the load screen and in the ghost menu all players in the activity can see each of the bounty goals and can pin them to displey even when the ghost menu is closed.
- All team members will be able to contribute towards each goal and will receive rewards for each completed goal that they contribute to.
- Rewards will be increased for everyone based on the number of team mates that contribute.
- Players that purchased 'bounty tokens' will receive additional rewards consuming a token for each completed bounty.
Here is a scenario that puts this into some context:
Tom, Jane and Steve all queue up for a strike.
Tom is only doing the strike for pinnacles and does not purchase any bounties.
Jane is farming bounties but could only afford 2 'bounty tokens'.
Steve has a single 'bounty token' remaining from the 3 he had purchased for his last strike of which only 2 bounties had been completed.
As they load into the strike the goals that show up for this strike in particular are:
1. As a team get 40 precision kills. Individual goal, 10 precision kills.
2. As a team generate 20 orbs of power. Individual goal, 5 orbs of power.
3. As a team finisher 10 combatants. Individual goal, 3 finisher kills.
At the end of the strike:
1. 37 / 40 precision kills. Tom 6, Jane 16, Steve 17.
Tom no reward. Jane and Steve a partial reward for completing the individual goal with a small bonus for having 2 people contribute.
2. 24 / 20 orbs generated. Tom 8, Jane 7 Steve 9.
All 3 get a full reward with a large bonus for the entire team contributing. Jane and Steve get a bonus reward consuming a 'bounty token'.
3. 11 / 10 finisher kills. Tom 5, Jane 6, Steve 0.
Steve no reward. Tom and Jane get a full reward with a small bonus for having 2 people contribute. Jane gets a bonus reward consuming her last 'bounty token'.
Vendor powerful quests will gain progres for each individual goal, additional progress for each bounty completed, and further progress for each 'bounty token consumed'.
Bounty rewards will have to be worth players putting in the effort to contribute.
My idea is:
- xp and glimmer for individuals goals
- bonus xp and glimmer scaling with the amount of players who contributed
- xp+ and an enhancement core for bounty completions
- xp++, legendary shards, and bright dust for 'bounty token' bonus rewards
Bounty tokens could be purchased in packs of 1 or 3 for glimmer. Also in packs of 3 for a Finest Matterweave.
As soon as I saw “team wide bounties” I was about to knock this but decided to read it through.
It sounds like a really good idea, but I’m not sure about the reward structure. It would need to be more highly incentivized I think. Maybe some kind of new rare or exclusive currency because existing currencies just aren’t valuable enough to everyone. If you’re playing with someone who does GMs they’re likely capped on everything and going to just fly through leaving you with less rewards due to their lack of participation.