Planet locations could be patched to fix the flaws to make areas more open and overall have less closed off quality.
Okay look... I know everyone like me has the habit to ignore any long sized blog and skip to the comments.
It is a big ‘ponder boy’ blog.
- I hid most of it in a spoiler box to be much easier to access the comments and give your opinion on this title!
Here I did squeeze everything out of me to tell (and rant) every detail of the realizations and experiences that inspired me to post:
“Planet locations could be patched to be more open + more.”
The title could just be all I am trying to say.
But you could simply skip to the conclusion to get my shorter response of: what, why, and how. Aka my actual opinion.
Sorry, I gave myself the habit to type a lot and set up stories.:/
Enjoy: [spoiler]iFunny thing happened today, I was at the Lake of Luminesce on Nesses because I was blindly trying to track down the chest location for the lumina quest (was too lazy to charge my dead phone to look it up, and took “The Mists on Nesses” too literally).
I was using my eyes, and noticed something:
- There were weirdly placed invisible barriers, turn back zones, and also a few unpatched terrain that you can go through and see under the map.
- So it seemed that the giant vex waterfall area was perhaps not completely polished and lacked extensive play testing.
For example, there was this vex block that was somewhat near the area you would use the vex gates when doing a strike, and the block seemed like you could fly on top of it.
The Vex Block:
It was not game breaking nor at the corners of the map, and it seemed like a normal area that you could go on top of like everything else.
You cloud fly up to a ledge on the vex block but not get on top of the square’s surface because it was blocked by an invisible barrier/wall.
- Why did they placed an invisible barrier there? It looked like a normal area?
- I noticed the lake zone was bigger than I remembered, but also had the flaws I never thought I would find.
- The other flaws included similar odd phomamena as the vex block, most were found when I was searching at the corners of the map for the lumina chest, such as but not limited to:
A. A small platform at the edge of the giant vex waterfall that you can not jump on top because your head would hit an invisible wall instead.
B. There was turn back zones placed a front of the edges of a cliff.
C. Some more close ended areas that were blocked off for some reason that I could not remember.
D. Bonus - A hole over the edge that made me able to look underneath the map even see the well of fire in its entirety. (I remembered its presence in the Beta).
- Also, that zone, and Nessus are not the only places to have map mistakes or oversights if you know where to look.[/spoiler]
1. I encountered some oddly restricted areas in a zone on Nesses that made feel that the map was player tested poorly.
2. The people responsible for editing terrain should at least remove/change the unnecessary/odd invisible barriers and turn back zones to make it funner to travel?
3. It will be a improvement of quality of life.
4. More spaces that are open for players to explore is something this game is missing.
Ending sentence:[spoiler]For Destiny 3 or whatever; I would like future zones to be more like real open worlds; expansive, detailed, more open and alive. Not areas you go and forget about when shooting random ads.
On the side note, I preferred the realistically sharper graphics in D1.
So what else could I say?
All I know is that this thread might or might not be stumbled upon in the far future by the tags attached, and it would still have less of an impact on Destiny 2 or the series. It will just be glimpsed as another old reflection of its forum community.[/spoiler]
Should Bungie patch the map flaws described in the spoiler? What is your take on this topic?
It’s all about storage and cpu speed. PS4 and Xbox have finite resources. The game can only be so big because of it. Load times are already pretty poor and bigger areas have more assets to load and hence take more ram and CPU cycles to render. We are already pretty much at the limit of what the consoles can handle now size wise.
Not that it’s not a good idea. I just don’t think it’s feasible. I mean they could do it for pc but that’s a small portion of their player base and their resources would be better spent elsewhere.