JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

Pardon our dust! Patch 1.0.2 goes live today. You will need to log in again after returning to the title screen, but will not be kicked from activities. The patch goes live at 10:00 AM PDT.
2014-10-01T16:46:05Z

David Dunn

David Dunn

Edited: 9/3/2014 5:47:53 PM
[quote]DISCLAIMER: Language. [/quote] [b]• Enjoy the nice weather and play some water sports. [/b] [spoiler]Nah. Kidding. We both know thats out of the question. Lets face it, you´d rather sleep in a haunted house than go out there. Everyone knows sun gives you cancer. Pfff.[/spoiler] [b]• Test your internet connection.[/b] [spoiler]You might think that your connection is flawless and incomparable, that nothing can go wrong, that the internet is an intangible force to be taken for granted; But I tell you this, here and now; That when the game disc is in your console and you start the installation, you'll remember how this game is online only, and then you'll be thinking of [b]me.[/b] The first thing you do is go to speedtest.net , run a test and see how things compare to what you're paying for. You want a good 5Mbit down, 1,5Mbit up, and less than 50 ping. Not that I know what any of that fancy shit means.[/spoiler] [b]• Move your modem. [/b](If your console is connected wirelessly) [spoiler]Moving the modem closer to your console will give you a better and more stable connection, and, more importantly, will enable your cheap ass to finally get an ethernet cable so you don't have to use wireless. Why where you using wireless in the first place? Dumbass. [i]-But Dave! I could move the modem / router while I install the game! No need to do it now![/i] No. Moving a modem requires moving of cables. And god forbid, moving of outlets for cables. These things may involve such things as: Sawing, Drilling, Hammering, Measuring, Bribing, and/or Tipping. You may also have to reset the modem. These things can take time. If you decide to get a cable between the console and modem / router, someone might try to convince you to get category 6. You probably don't need that and a Category 5 ethernet cable should be fine.[/spoiler] [b]• Test the connection between your Console and the respective Matchmaking Service.[/b] [spoiler]In my case this is an old, fat, white 360 with non-lethal red-ring syndrome. And it has to connect trough a modem to the internet, and from there to Xbox Live. Such tests are usually found within the console settings under network settings. This is true on the 360 as well. This is also where you will find options and configuration for your, you know, network settings, which we will also have to discuss. Are you still reading this because Im about to fall asleeeeezzzzzz. Sorry about that. This shit is extremely boring. If you are on a 360, like me, then you can also pop in a copy of Halo: Reach™ to do a little trick. When the game has loaded, and the 343i propaganda has disappeared (can take time), you will press Start and go to the thingy that says Network Status on it. It will tell you wether or not you have an Open, Moderate, or Closed NAT according to Bungies specifications. Dont ask me what a NAT is because shit, I mean, do you think I got a degree at MIT or something? Man. Such high expectations. If you find out that you have a Closed NAT, or even a Moderate NAT, much computational wizardry must ensue. [/spoiler] [b]• Forward your Ports.[/b] (This is not a quote from a Johnny Depp movie) [spoiler][i]-But Dave, My NAT says "Moderate" and the gameplay is totally OK! I might not have to do this![/i] Sure, if it works for you, and you don't mind the horrible lag, and you don't use a mic, and you're a big fan of error codes Beaver, Stingray, Cougar, Whipworm, etc. then you might not have to do this. But if this isn't the case, heres what you want to do: In order for your NAT to become Open, You need to do something called Port Forwarding. This essentially means you're gonna let the Console talk to the internet directly, without censorship (delay) from the modem. The first thing you will do is to find the "Home IP address". It might be 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1. Or it will be on the back of the modem. Or you will have to call the guys you are buying internet from (internet service provider). And type it in to your browser. Then you use info from the back of the modem to log in (to the modem) (using your browser) (on your computer). Now you're gonna familiarize yourself with the graphical user interface of the modem settings and try to figure out whats what. THEN you will click this link. (These are 360 ports, so you may have to find a separate tutorial for other consoles.) https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst38708_How-To-Improve-YOUR-Connection-and-Open-NAT.aspx The funny thing is, I messed around with the Modem settings ant tried to follow the tutorial to the letter and still it didn't want to work out and I kept getting errors. In the end I found a separate tab in my modem settings called Applications. This allowed me to simply specify the console I was using and then it created all the rules needed for open NAT automatically. Be on the look out for any such automated system in your modem. It might go under "Universal Plug n Play" or "Applications".[/spoiler] [b]• Set up a static IP address on your console.[/b] [spoiler]Keeps getting more complicated doesn't it? No. I swear, this part is easier than the last one. This link describes what a Static IP is, why you need it and how to set it up. (In this case, on xbox 360, but you can find tons of tutorials of this online). http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-xbox360.htm[/spoiler] [b]• Clean your Harddrive.[/b] [spoiler]Since you're already under the hood, this is a good time to get rid of some garbage. You want to clear up some space so you have room for installation files, saves, DLC, and a little extra. Your console will not work better on a full stomach. Again, if you are on 360 like me, you can re-download things you delete if they exist in your download history. So you can safely wave that mythic map pack goodbye. Its not going anywhere. [/spoiler] [b]• Consider playing some (inferior) games.[/b] [spoiler]•Titanfall™ has ADS, Double Jump, and a HandCannon thats actually a HandCannon. •Far Cry 3™, I believe, has aim acceleration, (and ADS). This can take time to get used to. (Destiny™ has it too.)[/spoiler] [b]• Get a GF/BF. Get married. Start a band and buy a motorcycle. Get Divorced. Move to America. Start a new life. Get a new motorcycle. Sell the Motorcycle. "Live on the edge". "Live on the streets". Write your memoirs. [/b] [spoiler]By then it will be Tuesday.[/spoiler] Edit: This guy basically has a [i]much more better[/i] version of this thread. Aimed at PS4 but most of this is universal. http://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/68529237/0/0

Edit Preview Cancel

View Entire Topic
preload icon
preload icon
preload icon
You are not allowed to view this content.