JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

OffTopic
Deleted User

Deleted User

12/8/2005 4:02:20 PM
Can someone please help me. I seem to have lost my connection to halo 2. It said that I have no connection to a network device dsl or cable modem, router etc. What the heck is a ethernet straight through or cross over. What is an ethernet is it some kind of isp thing. My roommate just moved out and I think he took his equipment with him. I don't know what it was but it was blue/black in color and it connected some wires.

Edit Preview Cancel

Deleted User

Deleted User

12/8/2005 4:09:38 PM Permalink
    Ethernet is a famaly of technologies that is used in local-area networks (LAN). Most LANs use Ethernet because of the simplicity of setting one up. Other non-Ethernet LAN technologies include Tolken Ring, FDDI, wireless. Ethernet can be configured as a bus or star arrangement. In a star arrangement, all nodes connect to a centralized hub. In a bus arrangement, all nodes connect in a line and there is no central connection point. Communication on the same LAN use MAC address to communicate. Ethernet networks use CSMA/CD to physically monitor the traffic on the line at participating stations. If no transmission is taking place at the time, the particular station can transmit. If two stations attempt to transmit simultaneously, this causes a collision, which is detected by all participating stations. After a random time interval, the stations that collided attempt to transmit again. If another collision occurs, the time intervals from which the random waiting time is selected are increased step by step. This is known as exponential back off. You may need to purchase the proper cable for your network. A LAN switch is connected to a computer. The cable that connects from the switch port to the computer NIC port is called a straight-through cable. Two switches are connected together. The cable that connects from one switch port to another switch port is called a crossover cable. A straight-through cable should have both ends with identical color patterns. While comparing the ends of a cross-over cable, the color of pins #1 and #2 will appear on the other end at pins #3 and #6, and vice-versa. This occurs because the transmit and receive pins are in different locations. On a rollover cable, the color combination from left to right on one end should be exactly opposite to the color combination on the other end.
    Reply Start Related Topic
    Edit Preview Cancel
    sentenashi
preload icon
preload icon
preload icon
You are not allowed to view this content.